Trout pellets::

Status
Not open for further replies.

watty

I'm off to Border Fishery at Crewe on monday to try the specimen lake, I'm quite new at this game but a mate of mine has promised to show me the ropes, he's mentioned trout pellets for carp. Can anyone give me some tips on how to present the pellets or the venue.

Thanks in advance Watty.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wouldn't use trout pellets for carp watty.

They can't digest the high oil content which results in their livers becoming a white mushy blob.

I'd check with the fishery first because most commercial fishery owners have realised the damage the pellets are causing & have banned them.

If you are allowed to use them & you really want to give it a try i would suggest pellets bands & mount the pellet on the back of the hook shank.

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 25 July 2002 8:10:29 PM

watty

Cheers for that Trogg I didn't realise pellets damaged the fish, I'll ditch that idea then. Any other suggestions would be greatfully received. Thanks Watty.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Watty

In actual fact Border doesn't allow any sort of pellets (except in Robbie's Lake and even then you have to buy them from the fishery)

My mate fished the speciman lake a month or so ago and he caught two doubles just using plain old luncheon meat. The list of what is and isn't allowed at Border does change all the time so I'd check before you use anything 'unusual'.

Tight Lines

Simon

watty

Thanks for that Simon, I will ring Border tomorrow and find out what can and can not be used and as for the trout pellets it looks like I'll have to re-educate that mate of mine.
Thanks Watty.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi watty and welcome on board,

I use a Carp pellet with just if not better results as the trout ones. They are available from alot of feed merchants and come in various sizes.
Use the small ones as feed in groundbait. The large and medium ones as loose feed with either a large on the hook with a band or for that extra edge drill some CSL pellets before you go and use them on a hair.

Regards, Dave

watty

Carp pellets eh! I'll ask at the tackle shop about them tomorrow. I'm glad I came here as I've learnt alot in the last couple of hours, cheers lads.
Watty.

watty

I ended up going to Wall pool lodge in Macclesfield, caught one 4lb common and two rudd and a great suntan. The heat was horrendous and all over the lake there was double figure commons and mirrors cruising in pairs but not biting. As the sun went down a couple were caught on dog biscuit of which I had none. Still we live and learn and even though it was only 4lb, when my bite alarm buzzed non stop the excitement was great.

Gary.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Watty

Congratulations on the carp, only 4lb as you say, but you can't beat that feeling as the alrm goes can you.

Hope you get many more

AlanP

Status
Not open for further replies.