Trouble at mill

Gussyg

Site Supporter
Okay so here’s the backstory… We have a Bailiff at our club who is a particularly unpleasant character, some people despise him and some people just tolerate him others have no opinion on him… He has form and history, nearly got kicked out of the club for abusive language on two occasions, he is basically a bully! I’ve been putting up with his distasteful behaviour insolence for years now, I basically got into an altercation with him a few weeks back after I took up a peg which he had just vacated, admittedly he had left a net out to dry which he dutifully came back for, it was at that point where he started being a bully pointing at me swearing at me claiming he hadn’t finished fishing although he actually come back empty-handed…
I also know fine well that he had finished fishing, him and his pal always fish 9 am till 3 pm they’ve been doing that for the 10 years I’ve been there...At this point I just saw red I’ve had years of his foul mouth and abuse so I told him to F off!!! That’s when he squared up to me and punched me, now he is an old man and I am 20 years his junior, there was no way I was going to retaliate so I shouted at him told him to F off again and he did..
I wasn’t going to let this go so I reported the incident to the club secretary who knows full well what this character is like, so on my behalf he called a committee meeting, whereupon he spouted a pack of lies about what had happened and claimed that I had been poking him in the face, his pal was on the committee who then interrogated me and basically cast aspersion on my character, so the Victim ( me) became the bad guy ... so I have told them I’m going to put it into writing and ask the committee to include a new rule in the club rules... something to this effect anyway,
Physical and abusive language or behaviour will not be tolerated, any member seen to be doing this will be expelled from the club... they agreed to put it forward on the next committee meeting
A very sad day and leaves a salty taste in everybody’s mouth
why do bullies get away with it?

johng19

me@home.com
Bullies only survive if there aloud too. If it's as well known in the club as you say it should be stopped, never mind, making him a bailiff.

Gussyg

Site Supporter
Bullies only survive if there aloud too. If it's as well known in the club as you say it should be stopped, never mind, making him a bailiff.
Agreed... it's astounding that they let him get away with it, I guess in this instance it's his word against mine so no recourse was taken, but i reckon it's only a matter of time before we see something else, hopefully the noose tightened a little for him with my actions

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
People like him always tend to be vindictive so I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the look out now for a reason to get you out of the club.
If he gobs off again and gets aggressive then banjo him in self defence - age or not it sounds long over due and would be most satisfying.
Oh and banjo his mate as well just for the fun of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
There's no fishing venue good enough for me to tolerate an actual assault for. Whilst I can understand the clubs predicament, I'm afraid that I'd have told them to shove their club right up their collective fundaments. They'd not get a penny more from me whilst the bloke concerned remained a bailiff or member. I'd also not be shy about telling anybody else in the club the whys and wherefores. I can understand that legal recourse will be no more effective in an unwitnessed situation. However, I'd have no hesitation in getting the police involved had I been assaulted. Given that I'd have nothing more to do with the club concerned on principle, I'd have little to lose by doing so.

Gussyg

Site Supporter
There's no fishing venue good enough for me to tolerate an actual assault for. Whilst I can understand the clubs predicament, I'm afraid that I'd have told them to shove their club right up their collective fundaments. They'd not get a penny more from me whilst the bloke concerned remained a bailiff or member. I'd also not be shy about telling anybody else in the club the whys and wherefores. I can understand that legal recourse will be no more effective in an unwitnessed situation. However, I'd have no hesitation in getting the police involved had I been assaulted. Given that I'd have nothing more to do with the club concerned on principle, I'd have little to lose by doing so.
yeah and to boot the chairman of the club is a copper!!!, he should know better to let this character carry on, really don't know what to do now

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I don't understand the age thing......are we saying that (EG Latvia) should not retaliate if threatened by the UK ?
Surely you have a right to stand your ground and act in self defence ? You would also demonstrate that you will not take his rubbish
and he may think twice next time. Bullies are fundamentally weak, insecure souls whose mouth's constantly get them in trouble.
Don't put up with it.

Unfortunately there is an attitude of no smoke without fire so you will get burned in any incident even if you are totally blameless.
I have the same with my idiot of a neighbour so try to avoid being tarnished by the same brush and let people see for themselves
what he is really like. Fortunately he's doing a good job of that ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds to me like bullying AND abuse of power. Bad combination. Like having a bad manager.

John Step

Site Supporter
Have you got a video record on your mobile? Useful if he kicks off again.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
age doesnt come into it, if you are attacked you have the the right to protect yourself, and as for the "new" rule that should be the 1st rule in the rule book!!

i would also say you should have reported it to the police, can you do that now? i would suggest given a report to the police then there would be no option for the club apart from getting rid of him, i would even suggest you could threaten a civil lawsuit for assault against him or the club if that is what it takes to remove this bully

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Doesn't sound like a very nice person and there is no excuse for his attack on you. I doubt I could hold my tongue for as long as you did over his behavior and to be painted as the villain in all this has got to be infuriating.

You can meet some nice people in fishing but we seem to get our fair share of complete headcases that you just don't get in other walks of life its hard to understand sometimes.

Hope it all works out ok

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
How friendly are you with the other members ? if they are approachable get a signed petition against him and present it to the committee or at the AGM as a recorded AOB.

Lcn

One of the clubs I’m in had a bailiff like that . He didn’t like a some of the carpers and it started getting out of hand at a club meeting where he stormed in and when a question was asked he started threatening members in front of the committee. A week or 2 later one of the lads was bivvied up on his own and the bailiff turned up with a big sted head and leant in to the bivvy and started punching the lad who was still on his bedchair. It went before the committee and it was the lad who ended up getting banned because the committee believed the rubbish the bailiff came out with . A fair few members handed their membership back in after the incident and I think it caused the committee to have a rethink because of the strength of feeling against the bailiff and he was asked not to rejoin the club when his license ran out . If it was me , you can say what you want to me and I’ll just give it you back but raise your hands to me and I’ll fill them in regardless of who they are

rudd

Site Supporter
Vote of no confidence at AGM should suffice to get rid of him.
Also ask committee to publish a baliffs code of conduct.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
How friendly are you with the other members ? if they are approachable get a signed petition against him and present it to the committee or at the AGM as a recorded AOB.

That's a good way of going about it, especially if the other members know what he's like.

Gussyg

Site Supporter
Thx, yes I might go down this route.. what'ds an AOB?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Yep the net alone meant he hadnt finished fishing, My Arse Bullies just look for an excuse to spout off no matter what, you were assaulted mate Pure and simple, i admire you for not banging him one Back but if you did you'd have been Justified in doing so. Dont give this Cock the time of Day mate as he will keep on now trying to get ya to do or say summat, keep a Note of everything in future as regards him and his doings against you, but if ya want my advise id Put one on his Chin as i know it may be wrong but it would drop him down a peg or 2.