Trotting with fixed spool reel (left-handed)

Ang1er

I'm using a good centrepin reel, which allows me to cast at good distance and trot float freely, but want to try fixed spool reel. The problem is that i am left handed and questioning about strikes - won't the line slide between finger and spool on the strike with bail arm opened, especially when long trotting? ps: sorry for my bad english.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I fish left handed and only use fixed spools (can't afford/justify a light enough pin) and I have no problems with trotting at all. Never even thought about it being different for left and right handed anglers so don't think there's anything worth worrying about. Seems easy enough to me.

Ang1er

I fish left handed and only use fixed spools (can't afford/justify a light enough pin) and I have no problems with trotting at all. Never even thought about it being different for left and right handed anglers so don't think there's anything worth worrying about. Seems easy enough to me.
So you trotting with bail arm opened, trapping the line after strike with backside of you left-hand finger, and then close bail arm? Think i need to find the reel i can reach the spool with my index finger :) Thank you!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's not that often I trot with the bail open as I don't often need to as the rivers here are fairly slow so you don't trot that far before you get a bite but when I do have to fish with it open at times I find I can still stay in contact with the spool enough to strike.

alsur

Site Supporter
I always fish with bail arm open and just trap line with finger on spool, I'm right handed use palm side of finger next to index can't see being left handed would make any difference.

Ang1er

I always fish with bail arm open and just trap line with finger on spool, I'm right handed use palm side of finger next to index can't see being left handed would make any difference.
I thought the difference is that left-handed angler will use backside of the finger to trap the line and it can accidently slide off, especially when striking from long distance. Glad to hear there is nothing to worry about.
Try an original close face reel like an ABU 508 the righthand version of the 506/507.
Thank you for an advice! Unfortunately, there is no offerings of ABU closed face reels in my country. It's near impossible to get one from local sellers. I'm thinking about order one from ebay (Daiwa 125M as it has a switcheble handle), but first want to try fixed spool reel.

alsur

Site Supporter
I thought the difference is that left-handed angler will use backside of the finger to trap the line and it can accidently slide off, especially when striking from long distance. Glad to hear there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you for an advice! Unfortunately, there is no offerings of ABU closed face reels in my country. It's near impossible to get one from local sellers. I'm thinking about order one from ebay (Daiwa 125M as it has a switcheble handle), but first want to try fixed spool reel.
I don't see why you would have to use backside of finger the only differ I can see is you would be holding rod in left hand instead of right. To make it clear you place finger on front lip of spool not directly on line.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Try an older Mitchell reel, they do left handed versions301, 411. 441, and the rotors go the other way to most modern reels, ideal for the left handed.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Always some available on eBay. Might be worth a look.

Ang1er

I don't see why you would have to use backside of finger the only differ I can see is you would be holding rod in left hand instead of right. To make it clear you place finger on front lip of spool not directly on line.
As i'm holding rod in my left hand, i can use only the backside of finger to trap the line. Can't imagine how to trap the line by only placing finger on the front lip of spool, especially on strikes while long trotting. Apparently i just need to buy a reel and do some practice :) Thank you!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Can't imagine how to trap the line by only placing finger on the front lip of spool, especially on strikes while long trotting.
It is the same for me as a right handed angler using a Mitchell reel, the line comes off the spool the wrong way on a Mitchell for a righty, but would be ideal for a lefty, though these reels are quite old now there are loads for sale, but you need the left handed model as the handles are not reversible, and these aren't as common.Actually, just checked and the left handed models rotate the other way to right handed, so you will be in the same situation.

alsur

Site Supporter
You place finger on rim the line then can't go past finger, there can be small amount of line that comes off after you place finger depending on where line is when you strike but it's a couple of inches at most and makes no difference. It's difficult to explain but I'm sure you will get use to it when you actually use it, but as you say you need a reel where to can reach rim with finger most 2500 or 3000 size reels should be ok unless you have very short fingers. The time you are most like to bump fish is when engaging bail arm that's the big advantage with closed face reels.

Last edited:

160642fishing

Site Supporter
If you get one make sure you only put 50 to 60 yards of line on it,the spools are small and I found that the line beds in if you over fill it.

roachman 1960

have you thought abouit using an original ABU 508 closed face reel brilliant for trotting and its a left handed reel

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The Daiwa 125M was specifically made for Waggler and Stick Float fishing and is a superb reel, you can switch sides the handle sits on so would be ideal for your uses... tip if you do go down the closed face route ,do not load the spool with more than 50mts of line as it is prone to bedding into deeply loaded spools and doesn't peel off the spool easily