Trotting with 6lb Line

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I thought twice about starting this thread but will anyway.

As I've mentioned before I'm going to trot meat on the Severn this year. I'm told to just fish maggot and caster instead, which I will also do. Trying one is not to the detriment of the other.

I have started a long standing battle to get a balanced set up on the Severn.

- I've been criticised for stepping up to 10lb hooklengths on my 1.75lb Barbel rods. A bailiff at HL told me 8lb line was not good enough being part of the reason and plus I like the security it gives. I will soon see if it adversely effects my catches compared to 8lb.
- I've been criticised for using 0.14 Stroft hooklengths for Chub so I will step up to 0.16 when fishing baits like flake, especially with big hooks. Happily taken that advise.

So now you can imagine my confusion and concern when it comes to spooling up for Barbel on the float.

My instinct tells me to go with 6lb Preston Float Max at 0.23 diameter, but I also had the feeling I would be criticised for this as being too heavy to trot a float, bearing in mind I will be using big Balsa Missiles and Speci Wags, I think I will get away with it.

Done a bit of research, a bit difficult really as there's limited and varied info out there, I don't want to fall into the trap of confirmation bias but I found this video of Dave Harrell at a place I'll be fishing. You'll notice (video starts at the right time) he fishes 0.22 line (make not audible) direct to a 14 hook with maggot.

So does anyone have any thoughts or input on trotting with such heavy line (using big floats)?

richox12

I think you'll get lots of conflicting advice. However, if I had to fish as heavy/thick as 6lb on a float, even in reasonably flowing water, I'd try to choose something which wasn't too thick so it behaved on the reel and peeled off well, didn't act as a brake when I didn't want it to etc. So if I had a choice between 0.23mm and say 0.18mm my first choice to try would be the 0.18mm

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just replied to your other post but to expand on it 5lb hyper sensor (0.19 I think) is about as heavy line as I’ve ever found just about useable for trotting/any float fishing really so if you want a proper floating line something like 5lb float fish (0.20 I think) might be worth a go. Just generally you can fish a lot lighter on the float than on the feeder as you’ve got a more forgiving rod and haven’t got the weight and potential snagging point of the feeder plus you lines up and away from all the dangers on the bottom.

Last edited:

satinet

Site Supporter
I think you'll get lots of conflicting advice. However, if I had to fish as heavy/thick as 6lb on a float, even in reasonably flowing water, I'd try to choose something which wasn't too thick so it behaved on the reel and peeled off well, didn't act as a brake when I didn't want it to etc. So if I had a choice between 0.23mm and say 0.18mm my first choice to try would be the 0.18mm
The problem with that is that 0.18 isn't as strong as 0.23. in tests that I've seen real world breaking strain is directly related to the diameter despite claims manufacturers make. E.g 0.23 6lb sensor is more like 8lb line in reality. There's no way any 0.18 is as strong as 0.23 of they are reasonable quality.

Fishing line is a mono filament of nylon after all.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I say criticism I took it in a positive way and hopefully to make me a better angler but I'm not sure it came across that way so my apologies.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If I were you, I'd stop taking quite so much notice of what other people think you "must" do. Too many people talk in absolutes with regards to fishing when they really aren't absolutes at all. There are loads of dogmatic views about what might be the correct way to do things. What these correct ways might be will depend on the individual and their angling background.

The idea that you can't trot with more than x lb line is simply not true. It may not be ideal, it may be more difficult and it certainly isn't conventional, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

a) Do your own thing (provided it's not illegal or dangerous to the fish).
b) Don't take everything that's said to heart or as criticism. If it really is criticism, so what? Ignore it and revert to a)......

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You have no need to apologise as you have nothing to apologise for.
Just maybe consider that you could be fishing the situation right and if it is working then why worry.
There are plenty who will tell you where you are going wrong but they are usually the ones who are always light on posting their own photos or tales of events.

One of the best float anglers I know with many large float caught Teme Barbel to his name uses 6lb Maxima.
He has fished that way for forty odd years and won't give two s**ts what anyone else thinks.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If I were you, I'd stop taking quite so much notice of what other people think you "must" do. Too many people talk in absolutes with regards to fishing when they really aren't absolutes at all. There are loads of dogmatic views about what might be the correct way to do things. What these correct ways might be will depend on the individual and their angling background.

The idea that you can't trot with more than x lb line is simply not true. It may not be ideal, it may be more difficult and it certainly isn't conventional, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

a) Do your own thing (provided it's not illegal or dangerous to the fish).
b) Don't take everything that's said to heart or as criticism. If it really is criticism, so what? Ignore it and revert to a)......
Exactly right Sam. There are some guidelines but, in this wonderful sport, there are no absolutes, if it works on the day it was right.

nejohn

Site Supporter
For what it is worth I would start on the lighter side and get my presentation right, however if I got broken by big fish I would have no problem stepping up though it could be a trade off in the number of bites you get, however it may result in more fish on the bank. Like as has been said there are many factors to take into consideration and what is right one day might not be on another day and the same goes for venues, 6lb line might act as a bit of a brake on a slow moving lowland river but on a fast flowing northern spate river it will not be such a great issue. Part of the fun of fishing is finding what works best for you. Listen to what people say and take it in but do what feels right for you

drw

Site Supporter
Dave Harrell does his own mono for feeder and another for float they were available from Benwick Sports among other stockists

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mind has been put at ease just to go with 6lb line by comments in this thread and also some advice I've had by PM so thanks all. I'm keen to try Preston's new line, Float Max. Obviously it's not out yet but I think this will be a popular line, can't really judge it before I've tried it though.

Irishhybrids

It’s out now , got it in my local Leigh Tackle , I can vouch for Dave Harrell line good quality but for rough terrain fishing , Rivers. Etc can beat Maxima or Gold pro .

IanG1

Site Supporter
Used to trot great lumps of steak under either a bodied waggler or avon float back in the 80s and 90s when it was the method for big angry winter chub on the Trent. 4lb maxima was the line I used back then to a 3.2lb bayer hook length. I don't recall getting smashed up very often, you could tow a cortina with 4lb maxima back then.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Used to trot great lumps of steak under either a bodied waggler or avon float back in the 80s and 90s when it was the method for big angry winter chub on the Trent. 4lb maxima was the line I used back then to a 3.2lb bayer hook length. I don't recall getting smashed up very often, you could tow a cortina with 4lb maxima back then.
I bet you still could mate, if you could find a cortina😛. I used to trot at Clifton grove with a balsa taking a 4 SSG bulk and 2 BB droppers, mainline was 4lb Maxima with, like you, 3lb hook length. Can't remember getting smashed up.

BoldBear

Done a bit of research, a bit difficult really as there's limited and varied info out there, I don't want to fall into the trap of confirmation bias but I found this video of Dave Harrell at a place I'll be fishing. You'll notice (video starts at the right time) he fishes 0.22 line (make not audible) direct to a 14 hook with maggot.

So does anyone have any thoughts or input on trotting with such heavy line (using big floats)?
Dave Harrels 0.22 line (Pro Float line) is actually 7lb breaking strain (see link below)

I often trot for Barbel using 5lb and 6lb lines (Drennan Floatfish or Diawa Sensor) on my Centrepin with few problems; using a small bunch of mixed red and white maggots or a ‘slither’ or a punch of meat on a size 14 hook after beards.
5lb Sensor is more like 7lb line anyway.

Keith

icaughtafishonce

- I've been criticised for using 0.14 Stroft hooklengths for Chub so I will step up to 0.16 when fishing baits like flake, especially with big hooks. Happily taken that advise.
I'm assuming you're talking about Stroft GTM? I wouldn't think twice about using 0.14 on my local river and there's a chance of trout up to 5lbs. Admittedly that's for fly fishing, so maybe there is some difference (I've not done any trotting for 20+ years), but I can't see why that using 0.14 is terrible. Tho I guess if it's a super snaggy swim, then maybe go stronger.

Generally personally, I'm a go strong person. I normally start with 4x when trout fishing and then slim down if that's not working. It normally works fine.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm assuming you're talking about Stroft GTM? I wouldn't think twice about using 0.14 on my local river and there's a chance of trout up to 5lbs. Admittedly that's for fly fishing, so maybe there is some difference (I've not done any trotting for 20+ years), but I can't see why that using 0.14 is terrible. Tho I guess if it's a super snaggy swim, then maybe go stronger.

Generally personally, I'm a go strong person. I normally start with 4x when trout fishing and then slim down if that's not working. It normally works fine.
I think the issue was I was using a size 8 spade end hook. Trotting breadflake for Chub. Makes sense, so I'm going to switch to eyed hooks and 0.16 hooklengths for my flake fishing.

The 6lb line is hopefully for Barbel though I'm told I also stand a chance of hooking Barbel on the bread rig.

I do like using lighter hooklengths rather than straight through though just in case of snags.

I like Maxima for its strength but have found it sinks when I try trotting with it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I like Maxima for its strength but have found it sinks when I try trotting with it.
I find maxima behaves weirdly as to whether it floats or sinks. I find with 3lb it almost always floats if you get any sort of sweat/grease on it but only if the waters fairly warm as it seems to mostly sink when it’s cold. Then with 4lb it mostly sinks but you can make it float a bit with sweat/grease then 6lb (don’t think I’ve ever used 5lb) always sinks. The water temperature bit is the thing I don’t get. Not sure if there’s more surface tension in warmer water or if it’s just that there’s more pollen, proteins, general muck etc in the surface film during the warmer months for it to sit on 🤔