Trotting the River with a center pin - plastic arbors

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Whilst it has its many pleasures, one of the drawbacks in many centre pins are the pinned narrow drums. These cause your line to kink, and often many fishing lines are left on as backing to give a greater diameter. A young man in our village during the COVID crisis and out of his own pocket, manufactured printed face masks for care home staff. I have tried to repay this initiative by looking at what else he could print, and we - or he has - printed plastic arbors which snap over many a well known centre pin and are locked into place by a tongue and grove, giving practically a seamless round Arbor. The plastic arbors are very light, in fact lighter than the line of my reel they repklaced.

We have currently have several models and I list these below:

Stanton 4.5" (knurled centre net adjuster) as per photograph;
Speedia 4" wide drum (1"); Speedia 4" narrow drum(11/16th's);
Grice and Young (I haven't a photograph of the reel) Avon Royal.

All are printed some 0.2mm wide than required and require gentle sanding down to give a excellent fit and come complete with fitting instructions. We are also working on some differing designs.

All are priced at £5 a set and £3 postage (with 2 sets being the maximum for £3 postage)

DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0080.JPG

If you are interested in purchasing please send me a PM with your requirements including your private email address and I will pass onto Jake. I make nothing from this, it gives me sufficient satisfaction to know that I may help a young budding entrepreneur and also fellow angling centre pin users.

Peter

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have a pair on my Speedia's and can confirm they make trotting sooooo much easier.... 👍

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
Are there any planned for match aerials? I’ve got a narrow drum allcock aerial and a wide drum Fred crouch copy that could both benefit from one of those!

squimp

Site Supporter
They look great; well done.

I will check my Stanton and get back to you.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Are there any planned for match aerials? I’ve got a narrow drum allcock aerial and a wide drum Fred crouch copy that could both benefit from one of those!
I've got (somewhere) all the dimensions to do them, but like a lot of things - its finding it again. regarding wide drum Fred Crouch copy - that would be harder unless it is an exact copy - numbers of drum pins, diameter of same, width of drum, position and size of handle rivets of an existing reel - what is it a copy of?

angel

Site Supporter
I too got a couple for my Speedias, fettled them to fit nicely. Pleased with the result.
Thanks Jake 👍

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I've got (somewhere) all the dimensions to do them, but like a lot of things - its finding it again. regarding wide drum Fred Crouch copy - that would be harder unless it is an exact copy - numbers of drum pins, diameter of same, width of drum, position and size of handle rivets of an existing reel - what is it a copy of?
It’s, apparently, a wide drum match aerial made with the same tools that Allcocks used before they stopped making reels. Fred Crouch bought the lot and continued making reels which are exact copies of Allcocks. The only difference is the makers tag on the back of the reel. The original reels state Allcocks Aerial, whilst the Fred Crouch reels just have Aerial. That’s my understanding of it anyway, but there’s a lot of more knowledgeable people on here so I’ll probably have my ‘knowledge’ updated!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It’s, apparently, a wide drum match aerial made with the same tools that Allcocks used before they stopped making reels. Fred Crouch bought the lot and continued making reels which are exact copies of Allcocks. The only difference is the makers tag on the back of the reel. The original reels state Allcocks Aerial, whilst the Fred Crouch reels just have Aerial. That’s my understanding of it anyway, but there’s a lot of more knowledgeable people on here so I’ll probably have my ‘knowledge’ updated!
I have a narrow drum Allcock Ariel and a Fred Crouch version in wide drum variant... I'd say the Allcocks narrow drum arbour is shallow enough otherwise you run the risk of the line peeling over the rim in windy weather...

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
Good point Arry, hadn’t thought of that. It’s not happened to me so far but I’ll check it tomorrow. Thanks for the info, much obliged!