Trotting, sit or stand?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Depends where. Stand on the tidals, sit generally on the middle reaches and stand on the upper reaches of the Trent. You’ll not catch a great deal at Long Higgin whilst standing. It’s not deep and the better fish live along the near side cover. They are easily spooked.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Always sit, flat feet really ach after 20 minuets stood still, I think it's easier to see small stick floats the lower to the water you are, looking down on them from hight I find harder to read the little dips.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Either. All depends on the venue. On the tiny local rivers there’s not much point in standing up. All you’ll do is spook the fish. Best to stay tucked away.
On the bigger rivers that I’ve travelled to then it’s better standing as most times I’ll be in the water.

Browner

Site Supporter
Can’t wade the majority of the river I fish as it’s too deep, so sit.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been interesting to read everyone’s replies. Seems a lot of people are the same as me in that it simply depends on swim and stretch of river in question.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
On small rivers sit... on bigger, stand... it was easier to fish sitting on a box than a chair though... on small rivers I sit on the bank... wade on larger rivers if permitted

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I prefer to stand when trotting a stick and adopt the 'roving' style. If there's nothing happening then just wander a few yards down and try again.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I much prefer to stand when trotting as I feel I have better control and a wider field of vision

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
On most rivers mate, IF they have the banks to walk along.
I’ve done it on the Swale, Nidd,, Wharfe, Ure etc but, never the Trent. Not even in the upper reaches. Maybe it’s time I got a little more adventurous. Cheers Peter. 👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I’ve done it on the Swale, Nidd,, Wharfe, Ure etc but, never the Trent. Not even in the upper reaches. Maybe it’s time I got a little more adventurous. Cheers Peter. 👍
Have you forgotten the art of long trotting then? Or didn't you bother to learn it in the first place? :LOL:

Stret pegging is also worth a go especially on the Trent. :upthumb:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have you forgotten the art of long trotting then? Or didn't you bother to learn it in the first place? :LOL:

Stret pegging is also worth a go especially on the Trent. :upthumb:
Stret pegging or laying on has caught me some good fish Peter. Folk think your a lazy angler but, you’re not. It’s an excellent method and now sadly overlooked.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Stret pegging or laying on has caught me some good fish Peter. Folk think your a lazy angler but, you’re not. It’s an excellent method and now sadly overlooked.
And that's exactly the reason for mentioning it mate. These young 'guns' of today eh? Mention it and they go all blank looks and wonder what the heck you're talking about.