Trotting rods

Jenson

Once a tankie ... always a tankie
Evening all
Never having fished a river before I am looking to do some trotting on a local river approx 50yds wide with a good flow pushing through, my question is what suggestions does anyone have regarding type and length of rod would I need? budget of about £70
Many thanks in advance.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Take a look on bobco they are currently doing £120 ish rrp Shakespeare float rods for about £70, they have the agility 2 or agility 2 lite both in both 13 and 14 feet and either of those rods at either length would be as good as anything else new you could get for that money. Anything better would have to be second hand which is always a bit of a risk.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Much depends on where the fish prefer to be or can be drawn to. The further out that is, the more a longer rod becomes advantageous. The depth of water can also be a factor. I also find that longer rods give me far greater control, especially in less benign wind conditions. The perfect upstream breeze isn't necessarily that common and I generally choose to trot regardless of the cnditions. However, if the spot you choose to fish has lots of encroaching trees, a longer rod can be a pain. My go to length for a trotting rod is 15', but I have both longer and shorter. There are plenty of good anglers that rarely use a rod longer than 13' for trotting. If I were able to wade more, I may well be one of them.

Without going second hand, I can't make any particular recommendations at that price point. However, provided you steer away from the more through actioned float rods, you should be able to get something that will double up for both waggler and trotting work.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
What size/species are you after mate?

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
You need a good all rounder, it's a shame that the Drennan Acolyte range is out of your budget.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Seriously mate, I am not au fait with the current crop of rods on the market, but a lot on here will be able to advise you.

frothy

Shakespeare is probably going to be your best option in that price range, 13 or 14ft with a line rating to 4-6lb ish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I haven't had a Shakespeare float rod since I was a kid but had a waggle of the two I mentioned above when I was getting a rod for my dad a few months back and they felt good to me, would have got him one but they weren't so heavily discounted then. Do have a Shakespeare feeder and spinning rod and they are really good for the money so I'd hazard a guess that the float rods will be good as they had a higher original price than the Shakespeare's I have which must count for something to justify the pricing.

frothy

I haven't had a Shakespeare float rod since I was a kid but had a waggle of the two I mentioned above when I was getting a rod for my dad a few months back and they felt good to me, would have got him one but they weren't so heavily discounted then. Do have a Shakespeare feeder and spinning rod and they are really good for the money so I'd hazard a guess that the float rods will be good as they had a higher original price than the Shakespeare's I have which must count for something to justify the pricing.
Great value match rods

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
You might be better off looking in the classifieds and getting something like a Drennan Power waggler 13', superb all rounder and old enough to be cheap now.

Silver fan 82

Evening all
Never having fished a river before I am looking to do some trotting on a local river approx 50yds wide with a good flow pushing through, my question is what suggestions does anyone have regarding type and length of rod would I need? budget of about £70
Many thanks in advance.
As others have said Shakespeare offer good rods at good prices as do TF Gear (search fishtec website).

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you are thinking about mainly stick float fishing then the Shakespeare agility and drennan Power float that have been suggested would probably be not great, as the agility is a little to through actioned to control and strike a stick float you really need something with a fast action and a soft tip. For your budget you will struggle to buy new so I would suggest looking second hand good starting points would be any higher spec Daiwa spliced tip rods (connisuers, amorphous whiskers, matchwinners, spectrons etc), same with Tri-cast, also look out for drennan stick floats, action tips or match pro's along with things like Harrison's, century Excalibur's, leeda 7000's and 9000's and earlier Shakespeare's like the Excalibur, and Shimano powerloops or triple X's Bargains can be had if you keep looking
I found this Leeda 9000 on ebay, very good stick float and extremely under rated very light and a great fast action with a well blended spliced tip

Jenson

Once a tankie ... always a tankie
Thank you so much everybody for your suggestions I will look at the rods mentioned and also take onboard all comments. ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
These may fit the bill, especially the 12 - 14 ft rod

old bill

If you are thinking about mainly stick float fishing then the Shakespeare agility and drennan Power float that have been suggested would probably be not great, as the agility is a little to through actioned to control and strike a stick float you really need something with a fast action and a soft tip. For your budget you will struggle to buy new so I would suggest looking second hand good starting points would be any higher spec Daiwa spliced tip rods (connisuers, amorphous whiskers, matchwinners, spectrons etc), same with Tri-cast, also look out for drennan stick floats, action tips or match pro's along with things like Harrison's, century Excalibur's, leeda 7000's and 9000's and earlier Shakespeare's like the Excalibur, and Shimano powerloops or triple X's Bargains can be had if you keep looking
I found this Leeda 9000 on ebay, very good stick float and extremely under rated very light and a great fast action with a well blended spliced tip

I have had two shakespeare rods mach 3 pellet waggler and mach 3 lite both snapped for no reason would not buy another i will stick to Daiwa Old Bill