Trotting, preferred flow direction.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the flow one way or another when trotting a river ? Me, I prefer it left to right, possibly because I hold the rod in my right hand, so striking comes naturally that way. Maybe left hookers prefer a flow from right to left ? It's not a problem fishing with the flow right to left, just prefer it left to right.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Fished a lot on the tidal Yare, that flows both ways,and can’t say I really have a preference.
Biggest problem where I live is having enough flow to trot in the first place:(

Never thought about this before, but thinking about it now, being a right-hander I prefer it right to left as netting the fish is a "little" easier? Also loose feeding down the swim with the left hand? I have to check when next out though.

trotter2

When I was a kid first starting out that used to bother me quite a bit.But for more years than I care to mention it's never crossed my mind. With practice you adjust without thinking about it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm not bothered either way, a lot of years on the open circuit helped me to adapt.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I prefer left to right as given I hold the rod in my left hand I feel it opens me up a bit more. That said it is probably as much to do with the vast majority of rivers I’ve fished flowering from left to right from the fishable bank as it’s therefore just what I’m used to. Off the top of my head all the Thames, wye, Severn, warks Avon and Itchen stretches I’ve fished go left to right. Then the Waveney and Bure have gone both ways with the tides so the Dorset stour and hants Avon are the only rivers I’ve fished that are right to left.

mbuna_matt

I grew up fishing the river at the end of grand parents garden. I can't get head around a right to left glow....

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I couldn't care less as long as the river is flowing downstream. On the tidal rivers where an upstream flow isn't a portent of imminent disaster, I generally find an incoming tide to be the kiss of death when trotting.

Arch

Site Supporter
I'm right handed, and I like the flow to go from right to left. I find it easier to cast a stick float out by bringing my right arm across my body whilst holding the hook in my left hand. I think the float "Lays" into the water better that way as well.

I'd also like an upstream wind please.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
(If you hold the rod in your right hand)
Left to right flow = lefthand strike (across the body)
Right to left flow = righthand strike (out to the right)

Whats so difficult....?????

davylad

Site Supporter
I fish left handed when trotting, and find it better left to right, as body not in way. I don't think about it if it's right to left though, as I can't change it anyway. Had some marvellous days on the Yare, when it's been a flood tide, but sometimes it was the kiss of death on the Trent.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As a side note whilst float fishing on a windless Stillwater is lovely due to how easy it is there aren’t many nicer ways of fishing than trotting a float down a river are there. Has a lovely rhythm to it and is so rewarding when you get it right!

Arch

Site Supporter
When the Grim Reaper comes calling, I hope he grants me one last wish.

To be stood in the water, with mist still rising off an early morning river. Stick float, bait apron full of Bronzes and a few Reds, trotting slowly downstream and catching 10oz Roach every run down.

Schlooop.........

Silver fan 82

Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the flow one way or another when trotting a river ? Me, I prefer it left to right, possibly because I hold the rod in my right hand, so striking comes naturally that way. Maybe left hookers prefer a flow from right to left ? It's not a problem fishing with the flow right to left, just prefer it left to right.
Interesting. I hold the rod in my right hand but prefer the flow from right to left. As you say for me it feels more natural striking that way for me.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
When the Grim Reaper comes calling, I hope he grants me one last wish.

To be stood in the water, with mist still rising off an early morning river. Stick float, bait apron full of Bronzes and a few Reds, trotting slowly downstream and catching 10oz Roach every run down.

Schlooop.........
Cant fault that one bit Arch. Id have to have a quid on it with him though. Well, if that John Dean stick is running through nice I reckon hes in big trouble. ???

H T B

Site Supporter
If trotting from the bank, using the pin, I prefer right to left.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A session like that sounds about right Arch!

Probably the nicest session I had last year was in July on the Thames at Chertsey. Was catching perch and dace on the feeder steadily all day whilst feeding a trotting line which I’d have the odd few investigatory cast on with the float throughout the day. On those casts I’d pick up the odd dace or perch (and bleak, it is the thames after all!) before going back to the feeder until a couple of those investigatory casts picked up a couple roach. Then spent the last hour of the session on the float and picked up plump roach or perch most trots through. I’d caught bigger fish on the feeder but that last hour trotting just made the day for me!

frankg

Site Supporter
Never thought about this before, but thinking about it now, being a right-hander I prefer it right to left as netting the fish is a "little" easier? Also loose feeding down the swim with the left hand? I have to check when next out though.

Me too....right to left