Trotting corn??🌽

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I could well imagine that certain fish would have problems passing certain foods as being living creatures not all digestive systems are the same.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Yep, most animals (fish included) can’t digest the outer shell of corn which is made from cellulose. We don’t have an enzyme to break it down. Some animals can (cows etc) as they have the right microorganisms in their stomachs. This goes for any plant matter not just corn, corn’s just obvious cos it’s fairly big and yellow. It just passes on through :poop:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That only works though if the digestive waste tract is large enough for the solid waste material to pass through.

This is one of the reasons that some fisheries have banned peanuts.
- nuts that were not cooked properly or were off contain aflatoxins
- smaller Carp could not physically pass the nuts through and died from toxic poisoning.

See no reason why fish would not be the same and they know what they can or cannot eat.

TiggerXFM

Cyprinidae fish, such as carp and chub have phayrangeal teeth at the back of their mouths which they crush up foods. Often when I catch chub they have throats full of mashed up sweetcorn and maggots.

Plastic baits, pop ups for dead baits are imo a genuine danger for fish, birds and mammals.

TiggerXFM

If you have a terrier then all sorts pass through them :ROFLMAO:
That's true, especially with bullterriers, they are suicidal !
I never leave them with a toy or even a large knuckle bone which they chew down to a size they can swallow. The bone will digest ok but it can get stuck in their throats and suffocate them, can't even leave them with a sheet in the kennel as they will eat that....dumb dogs 😶.

smiffy

Site Supporter
My local rivers have a lot of Tench in them. Bearing in mind we always hold back hard for the Tench on the pole I’ve caught very few accidental Roach doing so. Our rivers are out and out Roach rivers and the lack of Roach has always put me off the idea. The rig is pretty stepped up because of the weed mind.
This time of year I‘d be expecting to catch most of my Roach well off bottom so it, maybe, doesn’t suit fishing corn on the hook?

Last edited:

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Have caught many fish, good bags and even in matches........in the past. It's weird in that you can catch 30lb of roach on one water and then not hardly a sniff on another (but what you catch are decent) and then go back to the previous water some time later and also hardly get a sniff. But when it works (mostly I note in decent flow which on the Thames in summer needs some rain) it is VERY good. Even catch chub in summer in daylight which is almost unheard of unless you are on a known hotel. Skimmers & Hybrids like it and I've even caught bags of ALL perch !!

But it is inconsistent here.

TiggerXFM

I've just got in from a couple of hours out trotting, I used maggots and sweetcorn and caught as many dace as I wanted and small chub, plus perch. Dace love the corn, the chubletts all had throats full of crushed maggots and corn!
Glad I came back when I did, it's raining quite hard now.