Tropical Fish

baboboy

Site Supporter
Hello everyone

My mums kept tropical fish for as long as I can remember.

She popped into buy a new light tube for the tank the other month and the chap said they were stopping selling these bulbs due to the gas that was in them.

He didn’t know what the replacement option would be and if she would need to change her existing electrical set up to be able to use the new bulbs.

Anybody know what’s likely to happen going forward.

Cuprajake

Ok, she will need the correct spectrum for plants then,

Do you know what she is replacing? T5,T8

Things like this retro fit into some tank lids, all depends what she has

OldTaff

Site Supporter
When my T5 died at the start of the year my local dealer told me there were going to be issues going forward but had LED direct replacements for almost the same money

Bought one and seen zero impact on my tank plus because it’s a cold light source I don’t find I’m topping up the tank so much from evaporation off the pump spray

It’s one of these :

My mate has also gone LED for his marine tank (which is huge and I covet) and thinks his tank is actually performing better than before

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Led/T5 combo works well with corals for sure, but led are just more controlable. Problem is they can be quite strong too so can bring alge on
That's right about the algae.
I've put a timer on my LED aquarium light, so it's only only on early mornings and evenings when I'm more likely to be in to watch it.
No live plants in there, and the fish are perfectly happy if it's not light enough for them to read.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I’m just cold water fish, but have a little plec and a bristle nosed catfish which help keep the algae down.

baboboy

Site Supporter
Update from my Mum.

Someone was asking what is in now. It’s a 36” 30 watt ‘Arcadia Original Tropical’ tube. And I like the colour of the fish.
The one I’ve just taken out was a 30 watt Jewel Daylight (T8) and it didn’t seem to last very long. And it drained all the blue colour off the neons and tank backing. That last tube was 17.99.
Do they know if the led’s could be wired into that little box I have by any chance ? I am assuming it doesn’t need the big black box and starter. And ...... assuming that this is the type I’ll have to have now.

OldTaff

Site Supporter