Trip to Thirsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bri62

Hi all this is my first post so a small introduction first, i am a 48 y/o just moved back to the uk from france where i lived with my wife for 5 years.
I am going on a trip to woodland in thirsk for 4 days of club matches and having been out of the match scene for some time was wondering if anyone has been there latley, we are fishing mallard swallow and wagtail, info on tactics, bait would be greatfully recieved
Thanks

Last edited:

paulod

Site Supporter
I only fish the match lakes, i.e. not the ones you've asked for info on, but I can tell you you're fishing for carp or skimmers. For the skimmers you fish halfway across ish, with pellet/red maggot, maybe fishmeal groundbait. The carp are mostly caught tight over, (it's a fair way, you'll need pole extensions on many of the pegs, or the tip), though you can waggler fish the gaps between the islands.
As to carp baits, as I say, I'm not really up to speed, but I doubt if pellet was far wrong.
You can catch carp down the edge too. I had a few lumps the last time I fished a match,(on Mallard, I think), with meat. Corn's been working on the match lakes too, so maybe you could take a tin also.
Rig wise, there are some decent carp in those lakes, so I'd err towards .16 line, 4x10/12 floats and hair-rigged pellet etc. My guess would be fairly light but regular feeding through a cup with 6mm's and fishing the same on the hook. You have to use Woodlands own pellets, by the way.
Sorry it's a bit basic. [:W]

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
we fished mallard recently, fish the tip to the islands corn or meat, feed the margins and fish them later on, most of our best carp came from the margings.

Status
Not open for further replies.