Tried anything new recently?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad's not used to clipping up. I had to tell him when we were Bream fishing to hit the clip with the rod behind his head as he cracked off on first cast presumably from hitting the clip too hard. :LOL:

Silver fan 82

This is what I bought.

If I had to use it again I would try doubling it up over itself as when I tried it, it didn't work how I wanted.
This is what I bought.

If I had to use it again I would try doubling it up over itself as when I tried it, it didn't work how I wanted.
I use the ESP mesh bags mate and haven't had a problem with them.
I'm not sure what the problem could have been there. What were you putting in them?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use the ESP mesh bags mate and haven't had a problem with them.
I'm not sure what the problem could have been there. What were you putting in them?
Cell Particle mix mate. I was using the 25mm ones and found I got a pretty long sausage shaped bag with them. Maybe I was overloading them or something?

Silver fan 82

Cell Particle mix mate. I was using the 25mm ones and found I got a pretty long sausage shaped bag with them. Maybe I was overloading them or something?
It's possible mate, I had thought that before you posted this.
I've not used that mix before, is it the ready to go one out of the tub?
May seem obvious but you don't add water to it?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's possible mate, I had thought that before you posted this.
I've not used that mix before, is it the ready to go one out of the tub?
May seem obvious but you don't add water to it?
Ready to go out the tub and PVA friendly. Not really sure it was a wise decision using it for Chub anyway, was going to use Cheese Paste on the hook (another failed experiment for me as I couldn't get it to stay on), but I bought it for some Tench sessions that didn't go ahead and needed to use it.

I would try it again in a tub of cold water but I don't think that would be a true experiment to make a video with? Thing is on rivers, it's essential for me that they break down slowly, as the bait was just going everywhere downstream.

Silver fan 82

Tried slider fishing about a year ago. I need to practice getting my set up right though.
Quite an enjoyable method but for me getting the set up right needs a bit more practice.

Silver fan 82

Ready to go out the tub and PVA friendly. Not really sure it was a wise decision using it for Chub anyway, was going to use Cheese Paste on the hook (another failed experiment for me as I couldn't get it to stay on), but I bought it for some Tench sessions that didn't go ahead and needed to use it.

I would try it again in a tub of cold water but I don't think that would be a true experiment to make a video with? Thing is on rivers, it's essential for me that they break down slowly, as the bait was just going everywhere downstream.
I'm not sure what the problem was mate. Maybe packing it too tight as you say.
You could try packing it a bit looser just as an experiment. Use dry groundbait if you don't want to shell out on dedicated stick mixes.
I prefer a tighter bag though. If too loose it just doesn't feel right to me and I'm not convinced they cast too well if too loose.
PVA bags could be another option?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The Nene per chance? 😁
Yes, the Wellingborough club stretch at Ringstead. Spent 45 minutes raking and cutting the weed and lilies so if anyone wants a ready made swim, platform 11. I then switched to the nearby snake lake and had 10 roach, 3 skimmers and a carp around 10lb in 4 hours. Much more difficult fishing.

One surprise on the river though was the 5lb pike that I managed to snag with the hook on the outside of the jaws.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tried slider fishing about a year ago. I need to practice getting my set up right though.
Quite an enjoyable method but for me getting the set up right needs a bit more practice.
Slider is a weird one, certainly worthwhile for tench and bream but for roach, perch etc if it’s warm they seem happy to just come up in the water to allow for a normal waggler

Silver fan 82

Slider is a weird one, certainly worthwhile for tench and bream but for roach, perch etc if it’s warm they seem happy to just come up in the water to allow for a normal waggler
Your absolutely bang on there mate!
I caught a few skimmers and roach on the slider, got tangled and went back to conventional waggler set up, fishing maggot shallow, catching roach and perch lol!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not sure what the problem was mate. Maybe packing it too tight as you say.
You could try packing it a bit looser just as an experiment. Use dry groundbait if you don't want to shell out on dedicated stick mixes.
I prefer a tighter bag though. If too loose it just doesn't feel right to me and I'm not convinced they cast too well if too loose.
PVA bags could be another option?
I just tried it again in a sink bowl with cold tap water out of curiosity (not saying it's a true experiment but just to see) and I got a slightly better breakdown time, this time using halibut pellets, of about 3 seconds. Still a little fast for my liking but much better than when I was using the particle mix and it would break up as it hit the water.

Silver fan 82

I just tried it again in a sink bowl with cold tap water out of curiosity (not saying it's a true experiment but just to see) and I got a slightly better breakdown time, this time using halibut pellets, of about 3 seconds. Still a little fast for my liking but much better than when I was using the particle mix and it would break up as it hit the water.
What if you double bagged them?
Make a stick up, tie it as usual and then pass it through the funnel again?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
The most successful method on my regular fishery is feeder, but I like to watch a float, so enter the locslide float with cage feeder. Worked just as well as I hoped it would (y)

Total

Site Supporter
That was yesterday Mark :p;)
I blame Zerkalo, I was in my 'happy place' until that post of his got me thinking.:unsure:

John
I'll find him a few jobs to do Jay to keep our Zerkalo busy.....Counting his individual maggots and pellets should keep him occupied for a while.... :whistle: ;)