tricast landing net handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul.P

For £30 i think its an excellent handle, personally never got the short piece stuck but i have seen them stuck solid !, however, i generally use the venom handle which is half the diameter, stiffer & lighter, but costs twice the price. As on occasion i needed a longer handle i bought an excellence, which is certainly very stiff & light, but also very strong, but yet again it was more expensive. Seems to me you get what you pay for, but for £30 i think the XRS represents great value for money !

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
For £30 i think its an excellent handle, personally never got the short piece stuck but i have seen them stuck solid !, however, i generally use the venom handle which is half the diameter, stiffer & lighter, but costs twice the price. As on occasion i needed a longer handle i bought an excellence, which is certainly very stiff & light, but also very strong, but yet again it was more expensive. Seems to me you get what you pay for, but for £30 i think the XRS represents great value for money !
You’d say that about anything with a Tricast label on it !!

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a few Landing net handles from Maver, Garbolino, Map and Tricast, ranging from the £30 XRS upto £100+ Maver and guess which one I use most ...yep the 8'3'' Tricast XRS, I have never had an issue with the top section getting stuck, it is relativly light and stiff the screw attachment is very good being pinned, glued and overwrapped the joints are re-inforced and for £30 does it matter that the £100+ handle is slightly stiffer and slightly lighter ? if I used it at 4m all the time then I would possibly say yes but when you get them down to 2.5m there is not a lot of difference . My view is it is a perfectly usable handle and for £30 is an absolute bargain as I have seen many £60-80 handles that are not as good

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I have the longer version from my stand point, primary use is rivers large lakes resovoir so im not neeting fish every couple minuets but for use with a 16ft rod and high banks or netting bream with 12-13 ft feeder rods it's perfect, and for 48 quid, I'm well happy, im not sure if spending 100+ pounds on a net handle would I benefit me. But I will agree if your fishing matches and netting fish every few minutes a few grams lighter a bit stiffer might make the difference, but for me I'm happy.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Going to keep the Tricast as a spare just bought one of these

Attachments

• 9840AE33-77DB-45B8-BCFC-B6CF7E6AFF42.jpeg
    9840AE33-77DB-45B8-BCFC-B6CF7E6AFF42.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 40

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I have a few Landing net handles from Maver, Garbolino, Map and Tricast, ranging from the £30 XRS upto £100+ Maver and guess which one I use most ...yep the 8'3'' Tricast XRS, I have never had an issue with the top section getting stuck, it is relativly light and stiff the screw attachment is very good being pinned, glued and overwrapped the joints are re-inforced and for £30 does it matter that the £100+ handle is slightly stiffer and slightly lighter ? if I used it at 4m all the time then I would possibly say yes but when you get them down to 2.5m there is not a lot of difference . My view is it is a perfectly usable handle and for £30 is an absolute bargain as I have seen many £60-80 handles that are not as good
I wouldn’t of minded if mine had stuck, it’s a pointless feature anyway, it kept coming loose, fell off once whilst I was netting a fish,and I had to fish it out..I ended up just taping it up, rubbish handle IMO

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@chris1967 when I broke my last cheap one I looked at that one the preston response, and a few others but, as said for pleasure the tricast at half the price will do me, very nice handle the ctx.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wouldn’t of minded if mine had stuck, it’s a pointless feature anyway, it kept coming loose, fell off once whilst I was netting a fish,and I had to fish it out..I ended up just taping it up, rubbish handle IMO

A poor workman and all that ... ;) ;)

chris1967

Site Supporter

mines been stuck on for a couple of years ,bit harsh saying it's rubbish when we know you like your maver tat lol ;)

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
As a £30 handle it's good but when compared to my £60 Rigidex, saving the £30 that is the difference would be a mistake

At £30, for me, it's a capable back up handle, just in case

davylad

Site Supporter
Are we talking about the XRS 2K4, if so where do you get them for £30, mine was a fair bit more than that a few years ago?

Paul.P

You’d say that about anything with a Tricast label on it !!
Oh Chefster, you disapoint me !,
It is true i like a lot of tricast stuff, & its also true there are a lot of better handles out there, but ive never seen a better landing net handle for commercial fishing for £30 !

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Middy were doing a removable top on one of their cheap handles, that got stuck regularly , only bought it from a commercials tackle shop because I had forgotten to take mine.
I have an early Daiwa Tournament handle (blue with Tournament in silver on the end section) that has a short removable end, used it a few times never got stuck. Just leave it in tube now , The tourney is heavy at full length, so looking for lighter handle ,hence the acolyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.