Tricast John Allerton 13" Premier Match Review

Sad Teacher

Well after a lot of research and thought I decided to buy one of these as a retirement gift to myself and so I duly ordered one after a really helpful discussion with Tricast, Ordered in late March and collected Wednesday as I have been self isolating (took only 3 days for Tricast to deliver.)

My first impressions were of a well built solid rod that is understated in looks but its build quality is obvious. I hurriedly fitted my reel and it just felt so balanced in my hand with neoprene and cork being a good diameter in my hand with no filler being used in the handle. It went back into the black rod bag ready for the morning trip to my club lake.

I arrived at the lake and i could see the tench fizzing up already!! I excitedly threaded the rod even the bubbles had led to disappointment before,having forgot how long putting the that line through all those rings was like and how I had better make an appointment at the optician as some of the rings are a small. Casting was a dream no bounce from the spliced tip and it just felt like a dream. First cast a small perch came in and i could feel every pull and lunge from it ... It makes small fish feel big... Being the stress head that I am I started to worry how will it cope with the tench. A few more more roach followed and I started to learn how the spiced tip meant I had more chance of hitting the quick bites. Off came the pole float which it casted with ease and on went the waggler and a lob worm again no issues casting a bigger float. I held the rod and waited eventually the bite I was waiting for came and the fight was on this Tinca of a tench decided it was heading for the tree roots I applied and side strain and he turned back into open water, I was really impressed the way it handled the fish the blank coped with every lunge, it was not over yet and again this time tinca went for the lilly pads and I just held on and again the fish turned. I was impressed it felt like I could do things with this rod!!

rod.jpg
fish.jpg
The fish was finally in the net and I was happy!!
What would I change... Not much not keen on rod bag but I guess thats minor. People near me thought I was strange buying a Tricast as its not popular where I live and it is a lot of money but its certainly a keeper!! I have 2 other similar rods a Bruce and Walker 13ft CTM from my boy hood so so heavy and a Shimano 13ft match rod from 1995 lighter!! hardly use them, Tricast I think will be in the rod bag a lot!!

trotter2

Nice review looks like a different handle on the rod if it's the spliced tip version.
Enjoy .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A very nice rod and a cracking fish to christen it with. Well done you. 👍 What Shimano rod do you have pal ?

Sam Vimes

Nice review looks like a different handle on the rod if it's the spliced tip version.
Enjoy .
That style of handle/reel seat has been fitted to the Allertons for a bare minimum of three years. If it's different, it's been modified or is the old style.

trotter2

That style of handle/reel seat has been fitted to the Allertons for a bare minimum of three years. If it's different, it's been modified or is the old style.
The ones I had were plastic in front of the reel seat Chris
Tricast John Allerton match rod | in Wimborne, Dorset | Gumtree

nejohn

Site Supporter
The handles have been like the one in the picture for a while now, I have had mine about 3-4 years and it has that style of handle fitted

Sad Teacher

Hi Tipitinmick
it is a Shimano I SX390, had it a long time bought for me when I lived in Scotland and only had access to flyfishing. I asked if any body knew the rod on here I got no replies. Rod was bought in Germany so may be only for that market.

trotter2

The handles have been like the one in the picture for a while now, I have had mine about 3-4 years and it has that style of handle fitted
Yer makes sense . The older ones with the plastic grip took some getting used too.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I like Try-Cast myself, but we cannot own every rod we like. However, Sam and myself have had a very good try It seems?:eek::eek::love::love: