Tricast Excellence Feeder Rod for Bream?

Paul.P

As good as the matrix rods are ( I use an XD for long distance work ), I still think the tricast 4x4 is the best option for bream, it gives you the options of fishing 11'6", but if the wind gets up & you need more beef to hit the mark or just that bit more distance, you can insert the extra section without breaking down, & you also have the option of a softer top section if your catching smaller fish, other manufacturers have tried to copy this rod, but none I have seen have succeeded in the art of making such a good combination rod.

Nicky Dodds

As good as the matrix rods are ( I use an XD for long distance work ), I still think the tricast 4x4 is the best option for bream, it gives you the options of fishing 11'6", but if the wind gets up & you need more beef to hit the mark or just that bit more distance, you can insert the extra section without breaking down, & you also have the option of a softer top section if your catching smaller fish, other manufacturers have tried to copy this rod, but none I have seen have succeeded in the art of making such a good combination rod.
I used to do exactly the same with my connoisseur x's and z's but since trying then buying the matrix horizons all the connys were sold bar two and they may never even see the light of day until the mrs has to sell them.
If there's a chance the wind may get up I'd just set an Extra rod up.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
This is one rod I'd like to try out - what sort of weights you casting MThumb? You on braid or nylon?
Only used it a few times grey, havnt yet had to go more than 50/55mtr using 5lb mono with 2/3oz feeders, the rod is rated up to 120gr, 2-6lb line, bought it off a MD member last year used £100, very pleased with it, hope to use it more this year, HOPE.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
In a couple of weeks I will be getting a Tricast Excellence 12ft Waggler Rod. Further down the line I am looking to get a Bream feeder rod and although it might be a bit premature to say if I'm really happy with the Excellence range, I'm wondering if the 11ft Feeder rod from the same range is a good choice for Bream? Or if there are other rods I should be looking at? For a while I had my mind set on getting an Acolyte Ultra Feeder rod for Bream but I am having second thoughts, partly due to wanting a matching rod to go with my waggler rod but also because of lack of backbone to the Ultras. One thing that puts me off the Excellence range in Feeder rods is that I would prefer 12ft for a feeder rod and they only go up to 11ft but can't see many other Tricast rods avaiable.

Thanks for help.
Zerkalo, have you checked out the NEW Guru feeder rods?? orange & black to match your feeder box.!!! ;)

Zerkalo

Zerkalo, have you checked out the NEW Guru feeder rods?? orange & black to match your feeder box.!!! ;)

Yeah I've seen them but at £400 very pricey. Here's hoping Tricast bring out a new rod by July which is when I'm going to buy.

Zerkalo

New guru n gauge feeder rods i meant zerkalo £120- £150.

Ah I hadn't seen those! They do look nice! I could do with the 10ft of those for commercials next winter. I want a 12ft for this Bream venue though and I think I want something slightly lighter as the lightest tip at 12ft is 1.5oz. Do look like nice rods though, thanks for recommending. Like I say I want the 10ft one for commercials.

Paul.P

If there's a chance the wind may get up I'd just set an Extra rod up.

Thats the point with the 4x4 rod, you don't need to carry an extra rod, done it many times myself, chucking 50yds initially with 11'6" when hardly any wind, but halfway through the day the wind either got up or changed direction & was struggling to hit the mark, but with the extra length could hit it again & carried on catching. There are loads of good rods out there nowadays, but none i dare say are as versatile as the 4x4.