Tri-cast trilogy long range

wilkardav

Hello, who has experience with the newest trilogy long range feeder, 12 and 13 ft ?
I love them, but I think that the casting weights ( 120 gr and 150 gr) are not for real.
Personally I find a feeder of 60 gr the best for the 13 ft and 45 gr for the 12 ft.
What’s the opinion of the other users ?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I'm a tri cast fan, but I've not used the version(s) you refer to. I have however used a different rod with a c/w of that spec and have been grateful for the extra weight which allows me to hold bottom on a good paced river as opposed to my 80 and 100g c/w rods which are more for distance on still waters and lakes

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have one. A 12' one. I'll be using it for the first time next week. For my use, I didn't want it to have a mega casting weight as I'll be using it with lighter feeders, 30g next week... hopefully I can still compress the rod etc and not lose playing action... was quite pleased when I bought it that it was much lighter actioned than suggested... so it seems to me you might be right about the CW and the rods sweet spot.

wilkardav

I have one. A 12' one. I'll be using it for the first time next week. For my use, I didn't want it to have a mega casting weight as I'll be using it with lighter feeders, 30g next week... hopefully I can still compress the rod etc and not lose playing action... was quite pleased when I bought it that it was much lighter actioned than suggested... so it seems to me you might be right about the CW and the rods sweet spot.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yes mate. Relatively short chuck still water Bream fishing for me. :LOL: Took a bit of gamble buying a 'distance' rod for what I'll generally use it for, 30 or 40g. Seems spot on for it though. I'll find out on Monday which will be the first time I use it. Does seem to have a bit of backbone to it for longer chucks but I'm not sure it would really handle 120g as you say.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hello, who has experience with the newest trilogy long range feeder, 12 and 13 ft ?
I love them, but I think that the casting weights ( 120 gr and 150 gr) are not for real.
Personally I find a feeder of 60 gr the best for the 13 ft and 45 gr for the 12 ft.
What’s the opinion of the other users ?
I think you'll find that the weight of the feeders you're using is closer to Tricast's stated casting weights when the feeders are fully loaded with bait. ;)

wilkardav

Yes mate. Relatively short chuck still water Bream fishing for me. :LOL: Took a bit of gamble buying a 'distance' rod for what I'll generally use it for, 30 or 40g. Seems spot on for it though. I'll find out on Monday which will be the first time I use it. Does seem to have a bit of backbone to it for longer chucks but I'm not sure it would really handle 120g as you say.
I have the whole range of the Trilogy long range….i prefer the 13 ft ounce i have to cast 40 m+ ; up to 40 m the 12 ft is fantastic..
but i fear that 60/70 gr is really the max for the 13 ft…distance : i don’t get further as 60 m with the 13 ft, but i agree i’m not the best caster 😉

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have the whole range of the Trilogy long range….i prefer the 13 ft ounce i have to cast 40 m+ ; up to 40 m the 12 ft is fantastic..
but i fear that 60/70 gr is really the max for the 13 ft…distance : i don’t get further as 60 m with the 13 ft, but i agree i’m not the best caster 😉
As @Peter says it might be because the feeder is loaded with bait and so weighs a bit more making the ratings more accurate? Can't wait to use my rod either way, will be casting probably up to 40m.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mix up a bit of groundbait/ dampened pellets, load the feeders and weigh them. You may be surprised at the added weight. ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The 12’ is not much of a casting tool, at least not in my hands. Spoke to someone else about them and he agrees. I’d imagine the longer rods in the range are better for that as I’ve read about them previously on here something along the lines of them being the best rods for the job.

wilkardav

The 12’ is not much of a casting tool, at least not in my hands. Spoke to someone else about them and he agrees. I’d imagine the longer rods in the range are better for that as I’ve read about them previously on here something along the lines of them being the best rods for the job.
That’s also my opinion …..the cw announced on the website of Tricast are incorrect…
the 13 ft is a very versatile rod, but 60 m is for me also the limit, although i agree that better casters will achieve a greater distance..

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Speaking to my mate, he reckons 35m measured with distance sticks with a 30g feeder on the 12' rod as the rod is too soft to achieve much further...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Fugley-fisher has one and was disappointed with it. I'd recommended it to him before I'd even used mine as well. I had my casts down as 40m but he actually measured his and got 35m. He was casting as far as me with a Cadence no2 13' rod (if I'm right) and a 9g slider float. I'm not 100% disappointed with it as a lot of my Bream fishing is at short range, but this time next year I'm probably going to buy one of the heavier Preston rods so I have a rod for longer chucks.

wilkardav

The 13 ft casts easily 50 m…and for me the best rod in the range …
If you will cast easily 50 m plus I can advice you the Browning Sphere 13 ft MH , really fantastic rod. Unhappily there were some breakages in the beginning and the trust in the rods was gone…problem is solved in the meantime 😉

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I wanted a Sphere but they're a bit more expensive. I think you're right about the Tricast CW though... I was surprised when I finally had a loaded 30g feeder on the end how much of a bend it puts in the rod, quite soft actioned.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
You are right about the cadence and the slider @Zerkalo, I am disappointed with the tricast but only as my expectation was high, now I've used it in anger and worked out its and my limitations, 120g cw no 20-40g feeder loaded max at 30-40 meters it's now a tool for that job I will say it has fine fish playing action though. I would estimate you were casting 25-30m at chard the other day, im going to have a punt on the shimano x1 13ft distance feeder when funds allow, I just want a tool able to cast 50-70m when needed. I will admit it won't be needed very often but the shimano is by far the cheapest option at 80ish quid.