Trev's US Trip - part 2 (the visit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thought I'd break this thing up and day 1 of the actual visit seemed a reasonable place to do it.

If you haven't been following this already, the prelim stuff with pictures and such is
Here

This whole thing points out the need for an angler to be very careful choosing a wife. For instance, I went home one day and told Jan, "Honey, I invited a Brit angler named Trev to visit and he will be staying with us about a week". She said, "OK. Just him or will his wife be with him?" (she won't BTW but thanks to her for telling Trev to go and have a good time) Later I asked her, "Honey, would you pick him up at the airport? I'll be at work when he arrives. BTW - here is a picture of him". She said OK. She will be picking him up in a couple of hours. What a gal!!!

Tomorrow will be mostly riding around the lake to orient Trev. Easier on Friday since boat traffic is lots lighter than it will be on the weekend. We will catch a few fish just to keep the day an angling day rather than pure sight-seeing though. Crickets on light tackle for sunfish and lures for what ever is in the mood.

Look for pictures and a brief trip report tomorrow night (well, early morning for you folks I expect).

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sat here in anticipation Newt

Dave

G

Sound mouth watering already Newt.

Andy

i'm going fishing

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wot no story yet!!!!!

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

MALC

It's worse than waiting for a bite..!!

All this waiting to see if Trev arrived okay and Newt and his good lady meeting
THE MAGGOTDROWNING GLOBE TROTTING ROVEING REPORTER

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
But the only trouble is Malc and Ray, we will not be here for the full story of how the Americans coped with "the curse"

We will be on HOLIDAY

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Just got a call from Home. They are back from the airport and so far all is well. I'll be off work in about 4 hours and really looking forward to finally meeting Trev in person rather than electronically.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi all,
Well according to my watch it's 3.25 am!
I set off at 8.00 am yesterday morning.
Jan picked me up at the Charlotte Airport and I arrived here at 12.30 UK time!
We've been having a good chat, sat on the Patio, with the evening temperatures a pleasant warm 80 degs area LOL,
It was 91 when I came out of the Airport!

I didn't think I was going to make it more than once on this trip today! but thats another story!
Atlanta itself deserves a chapter! andr I was only there 2 hours!

Some experience flying here, but I'll report on it later.

Newt doesnt get home until midnight, about 1 and 1/2 hours time and I'm using Jans computer to check the forum in the meantime.

So, Guys, I'll revert to US time from the morning, to fall in line with the action and we'll be 5 hours behind you!

C U all soon, but not too soon!

Cheers

Trev
The Zippy has Landed!

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 27 May 2002 9:00:03 PM

Del-J

' Victor '
Trev,I forgot to wish you bon voyage before you left, but you have a great time over there, and come back safe and sound.
Newt please look after our boy for us. It's OK we know you will.

Del.
Not fishing then talk to your mates on MDs

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Well - we finally got to meet last evening (morning to Trev though since his mind was still on UK time and thus it felt 5 hours later to him than local time).

We took around 30 minutes to solve all the major world problems (hunger, overpopulation, and the like) then got down to serious fishing talk. Good stuff.

Got up this morning and lazed around for a while and then to the lake around 12:30pm.

I'll not give a long account (save those for Trev) but I will say he caught a number of new species including several sunfish ones, 2 channel catfish, 2 striped bass, and a crappie. Had a nice largemouth bass on but lost it at the boat. Nothing large but lots of them. Can't say how many since we both lost count early on.

He caught lots of fish on crickets (new bait for him but when they caught fish, he got the hang of it quickly) and lots more on small mepps spinner lures.

1st day

He had to pay the fee with a little digging before we could fish. Only a couple of cubic yards of dirt though.
10.jpg

1st fish was a little channel cat - maybe 1 lb or so. Photographer (Newt) just got shaky from excitement and blurred the pic a bit.
20.jpg

And a pretty little striped bass. They can get to 50-60 lbs but this one needs a few years.
30.jpg

And the end of the day - looking forward to a cup of coffee.
40.jpg

Newt Vail

Admin

Forum Admin
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Newt,

The pictures are duly optimized, keep them coming and don't work Trev too hard. lol

To the sounds of- "Working in a Chain Gang, going down town town, working in a chain gang, whoops I'm gonna get down...."

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you think about it the size & weight of the fish Trev caught on that first trip didn't matter cos they are all new PB's

The channel cat, well as you know Newt i've got one of them in my tank here at home & when you told me how big they get well the plans started on a rather large pond in the back garden (yard to you Newt).

Trev you do realise that Newts got you digging that hole so he can fill it full of water n have his own MD fish-ins don't you?

Keep the reports coming in fellas

Alan
You've just been moderated

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi all,
Well, as I sit here in Insomniacs County, North Carolina! I feel I had better start to try and report what for me is going to become one of the most memorable periods of my life!.
If I dont, I am sure that the sheer quantity of events will never allow me to remember them all!
Pictures may be inserted later! And I hope this doesnt detract from your reading!

Thursday, May 9th the Big Day! Had at last dawned and making a quick post to say farewell to MDs, I fired up the pre-packed car and headed off to Manchester Airport.

Many of you know that I like to be as prepared as possible as the curse strikes often, quickly and unexpectedly!
So I had done a little research on North Carolina.

Capital Raleigh, home to some 6 million Americans, it lies on the Eastern Coast
And is some 52,000 square miles in area.
The scale of these things, US/GB comparisons, is something I expect to refer to frequently, because it is only by examining the differences, that we seem to realize the similarities!
In Anglers Mail this week I left, there is a Report on Rudyard Reservoir, a venue that John Esox and I have fished several times.
The Reservoir (unrecognizable to me at the reported Fish a chuck style as usual) is 200 acres of water and is a very large UK venue!

The Reservoir I was going to fish, Tuckerstown NC, is 300.000 acres of interconnected water! And is the SMALLEST of 3 adjoining Reservoir systems!
No wonder Newt fishes it by boat! Its a hellova long walk around the bank!

Armed with this small insight into my destination, I drove along happily, never realizing I had overlooked more important Research! Namely the A6 to Manchester!
Les the Navigator knows I can find my way around the UK almost by instinct, but I defy anyone to get to the Airport by the conventional route at the moment!
With 36 miles registered on the clock in 52 minutes, I pulled up at the A6 roadworks at Stockport, with less than 15 miles to go and an easy connection to flight DELTA 0065 departing 11.40 TO Atlanta and the time not yet 9.00.
Placidly, I thought Good, time to roll a cigarette!

An hour later, Placid long since gone, now a gibbering wreck and having chain smoked for that hour, in which I must have moved some 400 yards, I spun the car and headed back down the static A6. looking for the Macclesfield junction and a cross country route, that I knew existed, but was unaware of the detail!

I had booked to arrive at the secure Car Park at 10.10 allowing 30 minute transfer (Its only 5 mins. away) and 1 hour security check before take off.
Now, since the tragic Sept.11th, 1 hour only is frowned upon in some circles and the internet booking Company, E-Bookers had suggested a minimum of 2 hours when they supplied my tickets, but, hating waiting around, I had confidently expected an innocent looking, solo Zippy, to sail through these checks!

If only I could get anywhere near the damn Airport!

I knew that I had to get north of Manchester, hit the M-Way system and get off the M60 at Junction 2 Wythenshawe, to find the APH secure Car Park, where my car had been safely left on my March trip to Germany!

More damn Roadworks! More apology boards from damn Councils! More Sorry for delay boards by Damn Contractors, until finally I saw the welcome Blue Motorway symbol!

Dont ask me which Motorway I had found! They are all interconnected around Manchester and the boards above the road are the only decent directional boards in the whole of the benighted city!

Suffice to say, that needing speed to blow the panic from my brain! I was happily doing 90mph when I found that the car had discovered the required M60 and was approaching Junction 6, Hurray! And it was only 10.35; I had 5 minutes to spare!

Foot down ignore the turn-off to J6, only 4 more to go!

The next exit board loomed!

Junction 7!!

How I stopped myself doing a handbrake turn, I dont know, but taking the exit (and the roundabout on 2 wheels) I was soon heading the right way!
Practically incapable of rational thought now, thinking only of my worst possible fears of missing this wonderfully generous opportunity to visit Newt and warm for the 1st time this Spring! (Sweat was starting to run down my face!) , I spotted the welcome Wythenshawe.

Scream off the Motorway, make a right, confident that I knew the last little bit, I did an emergency stop to meet the requirements of yet another Roadworks ahead, Diverted Traffic sign and thought Where the hell is this?

In recognized nothing.

Glancing back, I could see why!

Above the M60 was the board that said Wythenshawe
But it also said Junction 4
I had come off the other side of the town, as I needed 2!

Impossible to turn back, (1 way diverted traffic roadworks sign) I blindly blundered into darkest Wythenshawe, seeking Sharston Rd Ind, Estate.

Thank you the little man wearing the Day-Glo Yellow Jacket!
Lollipop man? Council Worker?, Post man?
I shall never know, but you obviously did not like to see a grown man in tears and quickly gave me a few left and rights, which within 5 minutes saw me thankfully recognize my destination.

I was now 10 minutes over the required check in time, but thankfully, the lads at APH (and Manchester Depot, Why have they all got Scouse accents?) quickly got me to Terminal 2, where, trying to sprint, (with suitcase, hand luggage and all) and screaming Delta? Delta?, Delta? At anyone who remotely looked official (One of whom, looked blankly at me, but did wave his broom vaguely down the corridor)

Then it came!

Announcement!
Delta Airlines apologise for the delay to Flight 605, which is running approximately 30 minutes late!
Not knowing whether to laugh or cry, I checked in, went through to departures and sat and had a coffee and 3 cigarettes!

Security was reasonable, particularly in mind of the scale of the awful events of Sept.11 and I even had time to do the duty free shop, discover the exact stuff my wife wanted, extremely unusual! get a free gift with it! And finally settled in seat 52A (window as requested) discovered that 52B was not taken (even better) and thought to myself the curse must now be content, as I have not gone through such a stressful period for ages!

I silently cheered Arsenal, after my treatment by Manchester! And within 5 minutes of take-off had drifted into an exhausted sleep, which lasted until we crossed the ocean and reached the Canadian Coastline.
Refreshed, revived, a rising increase in excitement!

But of course then, I didnt know about Atlanta!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

waxlion1

Is that it?
Bloody hell I can't take the suspense, its killing me!

Come-on Trev! Don't leave us on a knife edge, Please
More!, must be more. (You should write a book M8
)

Waxlion1

G

DAMN THAT CURSE TREV
What a way to start your visit to see Newt, road works,pah.
Glad to see you arrived with a good sleep behind you.
PS Trev is that large hole for your PB American Bass.
Keep the reports coming Trev

Andy

i'm going fishing

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
glad you got there safe.
good start report
now
MORE! MORE! MORE!
(PLEASE,please)

tight lines.