Trent

MCR

Hi all.

Recently fishes the Trent for the first time. I targeted barble on 2 rods. Running rig with with open end feeders with a mix of either 10mm halibut hair rigged or a boilie. I blanked but learnt a lot which is a plus. I doubt I baited heavily enough for the amount of water hence the blank. So spudding is something I need to do next time.

Coming from a match background I've never needed to spod so I need to get a set up.

Rod advice
Reel advice
And either spod / spomb or a variant .

Advise please.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi MCR.

You’d blank again if you did that on our stretch my mate. With the Trent running clear and relatively low at the moment the worst thing you can do is hit it with lots of bait. Try a running lead approx 3oz, 5 foot hook length ( yes, you heard me right … 5 foot ) and catapult hemp and halibut pellets over like as if you were running a waggler through. Best time of day is from 6pm until around 11pm. Personally I like to use the large Shimano 8010 bait runners normally with 15lb main and a 10 bottom but, recently I’ve dropped to 12 main and 8 bottom. Simply chose a rod that suits you matey. You’ll get a million recommendations but, only one will suit you. Good luck pal. 👍

MCR

Hi MCR.

You’d blank again if you did that on our stretch my mate. With the Trent running clear and relatively low at the moment the worst thing you can do is hit it with lots of bait. Try a running lead approx 3oz, 5 foot hook length ( yes, you heard me right … 5 foot ) and catapult hemp and halibut pellets over like as if you were running a waggler through. Best time of day is from 6pm until around 11pm. Personally I like to use the large Shimano 8010 bait runners normally with 15lb main and a 10 bottom but, recently I’ve dropped to 12 main and 8 bottom. Simply chose a rod that suits you matey. You’ll get a million recommendations but, only one will suit you. Good luck pal. 👍
Thanks pal. It was the A1 stretch. I did try a lead closer in so at catapult range. And did as your saying with hemp pellets and the boilie. Maybe it was just one of those sessions.

Total

Site Supporter
Hi MCR.

Mick, wotcha mate, It's fair to say with most of our rivers running low and in some places clear as well your advice above would be well heeded....The fish just don't want/need mountains of bait on their bonnets via a spod/spomb.... The swim feeder approach although well used and proven is still probably feeding too much if used on a regular basis in such poor fishing conditions.....

The running lead is a good method to search out a swim and along with a catapulted bait approach can prove dividends. You still need to be conservative with the amounts of bait fed.

Definitely an evening job on your river and don't forget the mighty sweetcorn.....

For the record, you only dropped down recently to 12 mainline and 8 pounds bottoms because you've run out of your regular stuff and are too tight to replace it!:oops::p:ROFLMAO:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've never fished the Trent, so can't offer any personal advice, but I read this quote in the Angling Times this week about barbel fishing on the Trent at the moment.
"The banks are busy and blanks are more common than you might think!" - Martin Bowler.
So you should expect a certain amount of waiting it out. I do know that unless you have information that says heavy baiting is the way to go, it's better to increase feed cautiously, not fill it in. Remember it's easy to put it in, impossible to take out.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Location, location, location. Although slight rises and drops, not much water on at present, so filling it in imo should be avoided and making sure you are in the right place for the conditions should be your first priority.

If having to chuck across (don't assume you have to, find the flow) then 2lb t/c rod, if not much of a chuck and certainly in current conditions then 1.75 t/c rod. Will always recommend the Korum twin top (1.75 & 2lb tops) then you are covered. Paired with a 6000 shimano baitrunner and job done imo.

As above too, sometimes the margin between a blank and good day is one Barbel.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks pal. It was the A1 stretch. I did try a lead closer in so at catapult range. And did as your saying with hemp pellets and the boilie. Maybe it was just one of those sessions.
Anglers are still getting the odd one or two up at A1 / Winthorpe stretch but, it is getting hammered pal. Personally I favour the tidal sections for Barbel. A lot less anglers and a lot less pressure. We’re not setting any records but, two to five fish is often doable in a session. Sticky baits Krill in 15mm was catching early on but, the Barbel seem to be having the Source boilies again. But, like Total says ….. don’t forget the good old get me out of jail tin of sweet corn. Gets a take when all else is failing. Good luck pal. 👍

dave brittain 1

If it's getting hammered I'd opt for maggot or caster and hemp through a large block end, long hook length and bounce it through the peg, by fishing a big bow and varying the tension on the line, back winding as necessary to trundle it through. Too many speci anglers over look small particle baits and on hard waters they can often be the way to go.

John Step

Site Supporter
Hemp and dead maggot in blackcap feeder and a bunch on the hook can work wonders in low conditions. Never dismiss worm either when temps start to drop. Those using steak for chub hook plenty of barbel.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I,d go with the maggot,hemp and caster approach OR small pieces of meat on a 14 or even 16 animal hook.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
A1 pits is a highly pressured stretch, might pay to try something different to what everyone else is using. Fish will be used to being caught on boilie and pellet for the most part, even meat and corn.

Could try fishing a section of pepperami, or maybe a nice juicy prawn. If still not getting anything drop to smaller hooks and lighter hooklengths and try maggot / caster to get amongst the smaller fish to alleviate the boredom :)

I like using groundbait in the daytime, but my mix is very dark for when there is not much colour, it's a mix of crushed hemp and crushed elips pellet, designed to put loads of smell in the water but not feed the fish, then i just sandwich a pinch of pellet, corn caster etc in my feeder as and when i feel like it.

If you want to put a bed of hemp/pellet out at range what you need is a spopper, it's basically a spomb modified to sink and release its contents on the river bed:

I cast mine out with a 12ft 3lb pike rod and 66lb braid.

Tackle wise for Barbel i think 2lb t/c rods cover most options, heavy enough to cast decent weight but forgiving enough for smaller fish. Personally i use Greys Prodigy TXL Barbel rods 12ft 2lb, come with avon top and quiver tip carrier section and they are a really nice rod.

Reels i was using Shimano Medium Baitrunners XTC LC CI4+ jobbies (5500 mini pit type baitrunners) but i've recently downgraded to a pair of Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders in 6000 size and they seem to be a really decent reel for not bad money. Be giving them an outing on Saturday :)

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Natural baits is an option but i have reduced how many times a year i do this, due to alot of faith in pellets, you can use and feed smaller ones and also due to the fact that depending where you are fishing, you can be constantly disrupting the swim buy hooking dace/roach with maggot/caster, unless prepared to get pints and pints of the stuff in. The sometimes stiffer rods/tips needed perpetuates the bite indication aspect and sometimes not even realising a roach/dace/small bream is on does little to help the swim too. This time of year and in low water i will only go to a 12mm bait if there are silvers getting in on the pellets. I don't mind chub as my second favourite species either so i don't go for the longer hair to avoid them, in fact a longer hair worries me anyway as due to the way Barbel feed (they mouth the bait to inspect it, which is the point at which you are looking to hook them) i am convinced you miss hooking them on occasion. So many people believe that Barbel, despite being a cyprinid, suck baits up by creating a vacuum in their mouths, however they don't.

On that aspect too and if using smaller baits especially on a longer hooklength, the Barbel don't turn away, like a Bird does with a big food item to eat it in peace, they look to continue to feed, so sometimes looking for those indications is vital, although aided by the shorter hair where you will then get that big pull as they feel the hook on the inspection and run.

On the sweetcorn thing, very selective imo, Barbel can run a mile from it, especially in clearer water and is one of the first baits to blow usually. Again dependent on how much has gone in of course, but that's it, on these busy stretches you don't know what has gone in and what hasn't, ease in with any bait is my advice and you can sometimes be surprised, hence pellets in with small amounts of groundbait fished on a slow release is one bait that allows me to avoid the issues i mention.

If two rods then a sleeper rod with meat early morning or last thing and small boilies during the day can surprise you at how much little bait or feed can work, when it does work, which i have found it does, it emphasises that the Barbel, especially in these conditions aren't getting stuck into, or are even shying away from large amounts of and large baits.

I don't target large Barbel, a Barbel is a Barbel to me and sometimes they come along, and my top 3 PBs have come on, 8mm meat, 8mm pellet and double maggot respectively (after feeding possibly 4 pints of maggot and on a day/swim where there were no roach). These weren't caught by design, any Barbel could have picked up the bait, again though, less can be more.

Most of my experience is on busy stretches and in the daytime and when Barbel respond early or late and significantly overall, slow up in the day, especially in current conditions, it tells me a more stealthy approach is needed. Water level and clarity i have found to be one above light levels in importance unless in a place where Barbel will reside regardless, then its down to triggering them, so biggest advice is stick at it and put the hours in, as the OP mentioned, learn something from any session, good or bad.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'm planning on a 3 day session at A1 on the 5th Sept. There or Besthorpe. May have to have a re-think. :unsure:
Peg 53 at Besthorpe Arch. I had two out the other day and lost two on the new rubber hooks my dad recommended. Thanks dad. 🙄

Attachments

• 21EC58DB-1100-4A46-9718-D20AA83AAFA8.jpeg
    21EC58DB-1100-4A46-9718-D20AA83AAFA8.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 724A6047-2E8C-469F-A2EC-0666BAC27641.jpeg
    724A6047-2E8C-469F-A2EC-0666BAC27641.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 7

MCR

Natural baits is an option but i have reduced how many times a year i do this, due to alot of faith in pellets, you can use and feed smaller ones and also due to the fact that depending where you are fishing, you can be constantly disrupting the swim buy hooking dace/roach with maggot/caster, unless prepared to get pints and pints of the stuff in. The sometimes stiffer rods/tips needed perpetuates the bite indication aspect and sometimes not even realising a roach/dace/small bream is on does little to help the swim too. This time of year and in low water i will only go to a 12mm bait if there are silvers getting in on the pellets. I don't mind chub as my second favourite species either so i don't go for the longer hair to avoid them, in fact a longer hair worries me anyway as due to the way Barbel feed (they mouth the bait to inspect it, which is the point at which you are looking to hook them) i am convinced you miss hooking them on occasion. So many people believe that Barbel, despite being a cyprinid, suck baits up by creating a vacuum in their mouths, however they don't.

On that aspect too and if using smaller baits especially on a longer hooklength, the Barbel don't turn away, like a Bird does with a big food item to eat it in peace, they look to continue to feed, so sometimes looking for those indications is vital, although aided by the shorter hair where you will then get that big pull as they feel the hook on the inspection and run.

On the sweetcorn thing, very selective imo, Barbel can run a mile from it, especially in clearer water and is one of the first baits to blow usually. Again dependent on how much has gone in of course, but that's it, on these busy stretches you don't know what has gone in and what hasn't, ease in with any bait is my advice and you can sometimes be surprised, hence pellets in with small amounts of groundbait fished on a slow release is one bait that allows me to avoid the issues i mention.

If two rods then a sleeper rod with meat early morning or last thing and small boilies during the day can surprise you at how much little bait or feed can work, when it does work, which i have found it does, it emphasises that the Barbel, especially in these conditions aren't getting stuck into, or are even shying away from large amounts of and large baits.

I don't target large Barbel, a Barbel is a Barbel to me and sometimes they come along, and my top 3 PBs have come on, 8mm meat, 8mm pellet and double maggot respectively (after feeding possibly 4 pints of maggot and on a day/swim where there were no roach). These weren't caught by design, any Barbel could have picked up the bait, again though, less can be more.

Most of my experience is on busy stretches and in the daytime and when Barbel respond early or late and significantly overall, slow up in the day, especially in current conditions, it tells me a more stealthy approach is needed. Water level and clarity i have found to be one above light levels in importance unless in a place where Barbel will reside regardless, then its down to triggering them, so biggest advice is stick at it and put the hours in, as the OP mentioned, learn something from any session, good or bad.
Now this is a massive response. Thankyou mate. Loads learnt from it.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Camera angles can be deceptive making the far bank look a lot nearer than it actually is.