Trent this week

Total

Site Supporter
Trent @ Fiskerton

Derwent ain't half as mighty looking as this πŸ˜€
Thank you....:)......Not sure what I was thinking especially as your thread is about the 'Trent'!.:oops:....Two hopes for me, Bob hope and no hope!:LOL:

Cracking looking fish, well angled.....Be lucky...(y)

AdamRussell93

You just next to the clapper gate? The boilies seem to work pal, lovely fish! fancy stashing me some to β€˜find’ at the weekend πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

AdamRussell93

It only took 4 hours but pb is now 8lb on the nose πŸ‘ƒ

Came to my new fangled home made boilies in low and clear water in bright sunshine πŸ˜€
Making my own boilies is something I’ve always toyed with the idea of. Maybe something I try over the winter πŸ€”

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Making my own boilies is something I’ve always toyed with the idea of. Maybe something I try over the winter πŸ€”

You're welcome to my recipe, it's over in the bait-talk sub section but a couple ingredients are missing :D

You just next to the clapper gate? The boilies seem to work pal, lovely fish! fancy stashing me some to β€˜find’ at the weekend πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

Yes was just to the left of the clapper gate, didn't see what peg number, in the 30's though.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Thank you....:)......Not sure what I was thinking especially as your thread is about the 'Trent'!.:oops:....Two hopes for me, Bob hope and no hope!:LOL:

Cracking looking fish, well angled.....Be lucky...(y)
Have you been having Geography lessons from Sly ? :D:D

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
So to sum up:

Arrived at Fiskerton post office around 6am, still pitch black. Bought 2 day tickets and a load of grub and drinks Β£29 lighter o_O

Went to the river and pretty much decided on the first peg i saw, just left of the clapper gate on the BDAAS stretch, looked proper fishy and i was still not awake properly at that ungodly hour so thought "that'll do" :D

Set up and first rod went in about 6:45ish, was just starting to get light. I thought i was proper in with a chance of an early fish as there were some big fish topping all over the place and loadsa bubbles coming up from the bottom about 2 rod lengths out to my right. Thought the Barbel were in town :D

Home made boilie on a 10lb Fluorocarbon hooklink (learned my lesson from Sundays shenanigans on the Derwent, proper geared up this time :cool:) feeder loaded with my home-made groundbait and a pva mesh bag of 2 chopped boilies and a few 8mm pellets near the hook. I decided this would be my downstream rod.

Got everything else set up and then got around to putting the 2nd rod in, this one feeder with the same groundbait mix, boilie, and pva bag of goodies.

After a couple hours of recasting and rebaiting nothing much was really happening and the boredom set in, the upstream rod i decided to switch to corn, too lazy to change the hooklength i decided to hair rig 3 grains of corn and cast out. Almost as soon as the bow formed and the slack was taken up and i was just sitting down the tip started a rattling. No 3ft twitch but rattling enough to make me pick the rod up. Wound in and couldn't tell if there was a fish on or not until it was close in, skimmer was first thought, it was coming in like a wet flannel. And first thought was right! t'was indeed a wet flannel of about a pound and a half - 2lb, not worth photographing :cautious:

Nothing much happened for the next 2 hours, no indications on either rod, nothing was even interested in the corn, I put it down to the bright sunshine and low clear water and resigned myself to maybe not getting anything else. The groundbait starting running low, i thought i couldn't stick it out much longer with no groundbait so decided to go for broke and fish boilie on both rods, both straight leads with a pva bag of chopped boilie, 3 boilies cut in half in each bag, that'll get some smell in the water.

No sooner had i wound my corn rod in and started to get the straight lead and boilie ready i heard that familiar sound, stifling the moos of the cows and twittering of the birds with it's own unique song, could it be the mating call of the lesser spotted Nash Siren S5? Indeed it was, accompanied by the majestic sound of baitrunner in full flight, the steely grey Tournament ST peeling off the glistening aluminium spool faster than Keir "cap'n hindsight" Starmer can say "That's not what Labour would have done!"

A disappointing fight really, knew it wasn't a monster, after a couple of runs it gave itself up quite willingly as the net was slipped underneath and that was the first Barbel of the day (8lb) and thought most probably would be the last.

Took another hour for the next one, both rods recast about every half hour with a new mesh bag of chopped boilies. Next one put up a proper fight and went on about 5 runs, eventually tiring and ending up in the net.

Rest of the day was spent recasting about every 45 minutes so only got another 2 casts in on each rod before packing up.

A good day really, more than i expected after seeing the conditions when the sun came up :D

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Fished at Rolleston (NPS waters) on Thursday, or was it Friday, I tend to forget, but decided to go for the roach with hemp. It been a few years since I went, and really enjoyed the day ending up with about 12 - 15 lb. brought back some nice memories of fishing in the 60's. Several pike tried to attack the roach as I was reeling them in. Will definitely have another go

AdamRussell93

Just tried checking the levels for fiskerton but struggling to find something, just tried the river levels site but can’t find anything of use. Anyone help?