Trent ponds, Scunthorpe.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi All,

I paid a visit to Trent ponds today for a spot of pleasure fishing. It was hard but, enjoyable. A straight forward no nonsense approach was on the cards. Well, it had to be, I only had some old maggots, pinkies, bread and some sweetcorn. Main quarry .... Anything that swims. I started by cupping a few maggots and a few grains in at 9m while I dobbed about with a piece of 10mm bread punch. Forty five minutes later and no signs things weren't looking good. A try on the 9m line was needed. My float was only in for a minute before it buried. I lifted and my pole float set off across the pond. 14m of pole and nearly the same amount of elastic before it all came back at warp speed. My hook now sporting a 1" round mirror scale. I hate doing that but, it happens. I cupped in some more bait and settled into a tough fishing session. Half hour later and a roach put in an appearance followed by a common of about a pound and this is pretty much how it was for the next five hours or so. Pulling out of the odd fish as I went along. Hard but enjoyable and nice to see a float going under again. Tight lines guys. ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice to see flat calm windless conditions, not been a lot of that in the last couple months! Just getting out and catching a few fish is entertainment enough at this time year after the weather we’ve had recently.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice looking venue that, makes a change from it blowing a right hoolie(y)
I would have liked to have fished a peg on the far bank where the trees are but, for some reason the pond has an extra 4” of water in it and the platforms are sunk. I think it must still be running in off the fields. It is nice not to be getting blown about though I must agree.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice looking venue that, makes a change from it blowing a right hoolie(y)
We call it Trent ponds but, a lot of the locals know it as Black bank. It’s on our Scunthorpe book. Like a lot of places it’s hard in winter but, very enjoyable in summer. It’s a mixed fishery although the carp seem to be out breeding everything at the moment. We could do with taking a few out.