Trent - Fiskerton

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for a good day! Bit of an adventure to a new river for me even if I didn't catch anything.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fished on the Tidal last night with a friend - we fished about 3pm through til about 6 this morning. We only had 2 runs between us, 1 at 10pm and 1 at midnight. He caught the first, I got snapped off on the 2nd :(

We had nothing in daylight, but interestingly, of the 4 or 5 people we could see on the opposite bank, nobody had a touch in the light, but there were probably half a dozen or so came out during dark.

ravey

Thanks for the company today lads! Good to meet with you and share a bit of fishing together. The Trent can be a fickle mistress, but I wasn’t expecting such a struggle. Kind of glad I went for roach, even if they were all small. As we say, there’s always next time…! Be good to catch up on the Sheldon outing❤️

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't think I fished it very well. Took my basic one rod Severn approach (that only usually works on the Severn half of the time when conditions are right and I'm in the right peg). I didn't really know how to fish it as there's not many obvious features like creases when the water is low like today. I think if I went again and it was going to be low I'd probably take @ravey's advice of fishing small baits. Knowing where to cast is another one, as you can cast down the middle for a start like I did, but thats where all the boats go? :)

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Might have been better fishing and feeding hemp. 2 rods length out- from what I reme3mber it was about 8 feet deep.

ravey

I spent most of the day fishing the whip 5m to hand and a bit of pole fishing at about 7m, which was about the same range/line as on the whip. I had about 4ft depth there, although I think it dropped off further out (I didn’t plumb further than I was intending to fish. ). I was surprised to catch so soon after starting; hemp and tares can be a bit slow to start. Would have loved to have got some lumper samples out; you wouldn’t have thought those I did get were hemp fish. Having said that, regular bites was nice, and I mustn’t be greedy!

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
My new rod impressed me, for those that know this stretch at Fiskerton, it's quite a good chuck to the far bank. My Free Spirit CTX 14ft Power Special managed to chuck a loaded 3oz feeder nearly to the far bank without putting much effort in, didn't try a full blooded cast being a brand new £200 rod o_O. Reel was loaded with 10lb Pulse Pro, so about 0.27mm. Think i was fishing with the 3oz tip but it was nice and stiff, not bending right over with the line in the flow, but being 14ft it keeps plenty of line out of the water (y) . The action of the rod seems to be progressive, really powers up once the bend gets towards the middle.

If anyone needs a 14ft feeder rod for the Trent i highly recommend one of these (y)

Just a shame i couldn't test it with a nice big fat Barbel, but the rod is lovely.

Come with 2, 3 and 4oz tips but i also purchased a 5oz tip separately.

ravey

Size-wise, most of my roach were 2-3oz, but there were some considerably smaller than that! It was nice to get pretty regular bites, but I’ve fished on the river in other sessions where the stamp has been 8-10oz. Still a nice busy day In good company😍

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have sussed why no barbel turned up yesterday and it's all @rd115 Richard's fault !

When i was loading my barrow, he said and I quote 'I have a weighing sling & scales if anyone gets a decent barbel.' I mean talk about tempting fate and putting the kiss of death on the day.:bash: :blast::D:D(y)

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I have sussed why no barbel turned up yesterday and it's all @rd115 Richard's fault !

When i was loading my barrow, he said and I quote 'I have a weighing sling & scales if anyone gets a decent barbel.' I mean talk about tempting fate and putting the kiss of death on the day.:bash: :blast::D:D(y)

Might be something in that, last 2 Barbel i caught i left the sling at home :LOL:

ravey

I’ve got some decent scales, so if anyone’s struggling. They only go to 11lb/5kg, though. I take them to weigh any exceptional perch, roach, chub etc I might catch, so I can have an accurate record. If any barbel I catch is bigger than that, I’m happy it just being ‘over’ 11lb…

ravey

Ha ha! Don’t be shy! I look forward to weighing exceptional or even just ‘good’ ones in for anyone. I think it was just a poor barbel day yesterday. I was kind of putting all my eggs in the one basket as well, as I didn’t even think of approaching it any different to what I did. IanG1 knows what I mean😃. I have noticed when I have visited Hoveringham on the river that the number of barbel lads on the roadside pegs near there are either absent or very few in number, suggesting that the river barbel fishing isn’t as prolific as it sometimes is, so don’t beat yourselves up about the lack of action…just one of those things, and there’s always next time!

AdamRussell93

Heading down to fish next Friday, any tips would be appreciated!
Also on google maps it says the post office opens at 9 but the bdaas site says 6:30, who’s lying? 😂

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Heading down to fish next Friday, any tips would be appreciated!
Also on google maps it says the post office opens at 9 but the bdaas site says 6:30, who’s lying? 😂
The PO counter may not open until 0900, but the shop itself opens early for the newspapers.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve got some decent scales, so if anyone’s struggling. They only go to 11lb/5kg, though. I take them to weigh any exceptional perch, roach, chub etc I might catch, so I can have an accurate record. If any barbel I catch is bigger than that, I’m happy it just being ‘over’ 11lb…
If you catch a fish that bottoms out your scales, get two banksticks, one with a rod rest on.
Push the one with the rest into the ground, or get someone to hold it,
Put the second through the weigh sling handles so the sling sits in the middle of the stick
Place one end of the bankstick on the rest of the first, and the other end onto your scales
Effectively whatever the scales reads, double it.

The weight sling needs to be midway between the scales and the rest.
The rest needs to be held level.

;)