Trent Barbel Disaster....A Lesson To All

John Step

Site Supporter
Others have beat me to it by suggesting catfish. I believe there are hardy souls who actually fish for them. That they are in the Trent is a given.
I had something completely unstoppable take a deadbait. 3lb test pike rods and 15lb line which spooled me heading for the Humber.
In the end all I could do was hang on and luckily the knot above the trace gave way. I never saw the fish.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I am glad to hear you are safe, first and foremost, kit can be replaced, you can't. Can appreciate that you were very concerned about the fish, but I am guessing it would head for the nearest snag and ditch the rod / line behind ?

Thanks for having the guts to put the post up, there are inexperienced Trent anglers like myself that will benefit from a timely warning. (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have also heard of a few Sturgeon in the Trent.
The power and speed they have is something hard to comprehend

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey that sounds like a shocking experience. Must have been one hell of a barbel to do that maybe was a carp or cat as others have suggested.

I’ve never come close to losing a rod coarse fishing but did lose one sea fishing through my own stupidity and almost another due to a failed rod holder that I just grabbed in time. Just have to put them down to experiences and not do the same things that led to them again I suppose.

Weirdest tackle loss I’ve had was when a fish I was playing was inhaled by something much larger which nearly pulled me in and the leader knot must have hit the tip ring at the perfect angle as the tip section just flew in never to be seen again! Was a proper wtf just happened moment.

mattnewark

What happened has never happened to me before. This talk of Catfish made me think surely not???

I don't do social media but if they have been caught then surely we would have pictures etc widely shared yet this is the first I know about Catfish. Bait wise was pellet, not a massive lump of meat or anything. The whole thing was just surreal at the time.

One thing is for sure, I'll be back, properly prepared, and no doubt in the same peg just to get it out of my system.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
The first time I fished a commie type carp water, one of the lads with us shouted to me "have you got your rods tied off Spenno?" I just grinned thinking it was a pee take. A few minutes later I just caught my rod as it was pulled off the rest by a 17lb common. A stout cord was then attached to the rod butt and tied to my box (which I was sat on). A guy rope and solid peg would be a permanent fixture if I was barbelling in the Trent.

As has already been said @mattnewark these accidents happen and it takes a big man to admit to them; if your admission saves only one other barbel then it was worth making.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My biggest two carp from the tidal are 24.5lb and 17.5lb and neither fought like a large Barbel. I 'd put money on what Matt has experienced here is either a decent Barbel or a catfish. The catfish my dad got to the edge and lost set off like a Barbel but, if it had'nt have stopped and turned to swim towards us we would never have seen it and yes, my dad has caught hundreds of Barbel and even he was struggling with it. Catfish is my guess.

JayD

What happened has never happened to me before. This talk of Catfish made me think surely not???

I don't do social media but if they have been caught then surely we would have pictures etc widely shared yet this is the first I know about Catfish. Bait wise was pellet, not a massive lump of meat or anything. The whole thing was just surreal at the time.

One thing is for sure, I'll be back, properly prepared, and no doubt in the same peg just to get it out of my system.

There is often some secrecy about catfish captures on our rivers, mainly I believe, because they are regarded as an invasive species, and there has been quite a bit of controversy over the returning of them after capture.

They are sometimes stocked illegally by anglers, or have grown too big for aquariums, but often are escapees from still waters usually during flooding. A guy came onto another forum after heavy flooding some years ago. He said that 5,000 catfish had escaped from his 'fisheries' in East Yorkshire. his water was connected to the River Hull by drains. The Hull ran into the Humber, which in turn leads to the Trent and Yorks Ouse systems. I've heard of catfish being caught in both.

John.

Sam Vimes

There is often some secrecy about catfish captures on our rivers, mainly I believe, because they are regarded as an invasive species, and there has been quite a bit of controversy over the returning of them after capture.

They are sometimes stocked illegally by anglers, or have grown too big for aquariums, but often are escapees from still waters usually during flooding. A guy came onto another forum after heavy flooding some years ago. He said that 5,000 catfish had escaped from his 'fisheries' in East Yorkshire. his water was connected to the River Hull by drains. The Hull ran into the Humber, which in turn leads to the Trent and Yorks Ouse systems. I've heard of catfish being caught in both.

John.

Outside of the few places that were allowed to be stocked with cats, the first I ever heard of was caught in a sea match just inland from Hull. Since then, I've seen them reported from both the Ouse and the Trent. However, as they are in both of those rivers, there's a reasonable chance of them being in any of the rivers that ultimately flow into the Humber. I've certainly heard a few anecdotes, from anglers I trust, about unusual encounters with unusually powerful fish in both the Swale and Ure. I've not knowingly seen a cat from a Yorkshire river, though I have seen pics of Ouse fish. I've had a couple of encounters with Trent cats, one seen and one suspected cat hooked. That was fun for a while on heavy barbel float gear. It got to be significantly less amusing the closer it got to spooling me.

Rick123

Site Supporter
No I'm not going to critique as its a lesson to learn. But I do say I honestly believe 100% that if you just use one rod and watch it, you will catch more. Its just my view but watch any match-men work a barbel peg and catch multiple fish from it, not the odd ones. They fish slightly lighter, use a bow and change the rigs according to the bites they get. You cannot watch tips out of the back of a car, that many do now days on the Trent. CARBARBELLING I call it. Pleased your safe, learn the lesson now my friend, and go catch a record Trent fish!!:D:D:D

Robwooly

I rescued my dad's rod from a shallow river a couple of seasons back, whilst a slightly different scenario the end result was the same in that the full kit was dragged in, must be a huge barbel we thought, I got my waders on and got it back around 70yrds downstream and only because the river went through a tunnel and the fish couldn't go any further, the rod tip was on the surface bobbing about and the fish went still like stink when it saw me as it was still on. The culprit was a chub that was only around two and a half pounds, so be warned folks any decent fish can drag a rod in.

What was interesting was how bouyant a rod is when in the water even with a heavy reel on, the fish could have taken it miles

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Friend of mine, alas dead, used to fish the Trent with his much prized Richard Walker Mk IV carp rod, he won in 1959. Like yourself Matt, and at Newark, the rod sailed forth. Luckily David Stuwart (last name is spelt wrong) was fishing alongside, who had been salmon fishing in Scotland. Out came the salmon gear, and a few casts later the rod was caught and retrieved minus one barbel. Thereafter, friend, who was getting on in years, fashioned an attachment to connect to a bungee cord at the butt of his rod to prevent it happing again.

I have seen at least 5 rods go for swims, and found 2 myself, it will always happen unfortunately and as mentioned previously Barbless hooks are a must.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Friend of mine, alas dead, used to fish the Trent with his much prized Richard Walker Mk IV carp rod, he won in 1959. Like yourself Matt, and at Newark, the rod sailed forth. Luckily David Stuwart (last name is spelt wrong) was fishing alongside, who had been salmon fishing in Scotland. Out came the salmon gear, and a few casts later the rod was caught and retrieved minus one barbel. Thereafter, friend, who was getting on in years, fashioned an attachment to connect to a bungee cord at the butt of his rod to prevent it happing again.

I have seen at least 5 rods go for swims, and found 2 myself, it will always happen unfortunately and as mentioned previously Barbless hooks are a must.

If you speak with anyone now days, barbless hooks are out for any kind of bolt rigs/self hooking rigs. We have to preserve our stock of fish because no-one else will guys. Big up Barbelcatcher 100%.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Send Scribe in for your rod 😂😂😂 he like jumping in the water ?
Sorry to hear about your day ,but as you say you are safe and sound rods can be replaced but life can't be

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I very nearly lost a rod in the Ribble years ago when I forgot to engage the baitrunner, the rod and reel was almost gone and I was very lucky to dive forwards and be able to grab the butt of the rod as it almost vanished beneath the water.

I now use bait runners for any type of bomb or feeder fishing and when float fishing with 2 rods. When Barbel fishing in the dark I have a length of 40lb braid with a loop in each end. One end goes round the reel stem and is kept out of the way with an elastic band. The other end is looped round my wrist in case I fall asleep while fishing.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Scary experience but glad you are safe - it would have been so easy in your desire to prevent potential danger to the fish for you to have overreached yourself and wound up in serious trouble in an unforgiving river.

As others have said the most likely outcome was a snagged rod & snapped hook length, especially if it was indeed a catfish.

Should be fun next summer once the levels are down playing “hunt the rod” ;)

rudd

Site Supporter
Isn’t this a bit like casting a full mackerel into a Scottish Loch without a wire trace?

Shimano Baitrunners start from £50 brand new... I’m a bit confused as to why there’s now (potentially) a Barbel towing around a 12ft rod in the Trent :unsure: - at first I laughed as I was reading the story, but on reflection I actually think it’s a bit of a psstake.
Coming from you who considered using trebles on baits for Perch (until educated) - not a dig at you - People have to learn, sometimes the hard way!

rudd

Site Supporter
I have also heard of a few Sturgeon in the Trent.
The power and speed they have is something hard to comprehend
And seals, Otters, Pike, Zander. All could hook themselves on a fish thats hooked itself!

rudd

Site Supporter
Plenty of beach gear gets dragged off tripods each year.
I know a few who have run down beach chasing a rod!
Hefty bass, skate, rays, smoothound, cod, tope dont hang about when pricked!

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Coming from you who considered using trebles on baits for Perch (until educated) - not a dig at you - People have to learn, sometimes the hard way!

Well it is dig, but dig away.

My opinion on trebles for Perch is explained in that thread, and in theory it hasn't really changed -
plus you're comparing thoughts / theory / ideas to something which actually happened, if that was a valid way of looking at things then we would all...
ahh F it, whatever mate.

Last edited: