Trent Barbel Day Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesson2ya

Can anyone help. I have never caught a "river" Barbel and live about an hour or so away from Newark on the A1. Can anyone give me any advice of where to fish and what methods. Many thanks in advance.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Yes - I'll post tomorrow,

day tickets waters etc.

Just off to the land of Nod!!

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Most of the better streches along the Newark-Nottingham area are controlled by private clubs or individuals but you do have some which do day-tickets. I list below in no particular order where if I was limited to fishing I would give a go:

What is termed the old river running from Staythorpe weir to CRankley point. Faster than Newark Dyke because on Newark Dyke there are 2 locks holding back the waters, whilst in the old river this falls naturally alony its length

Newark and District Sherwood Headquarters based at Kelham Hall. This is controlled by Newark Piscatorials - tickets must be purchased before from: Mr J Garland,58 Riverside Road, Newark. NG24 4RJ. I would judge about the best since the far bank about a 30 yard throw is filled with tree stumps and wooden shoring etc. Will see if I can find a telephone number, otherwise send him a letter asking what the procedure is.

Smeatons - Based on the Old A1 just a little further down, Terry has about 12 pegs which have beeb known to produce double figure fish. Suggest that you check out their website and phone first. www.smeatonslakes.co.uk

A1 Pits
About the last strecth that can be fished before Crankley point. You used to have to fight to get the barbel pegs here , fishing over towards the sunken barge on Nottinghamd Piscatorial Society waters but it is better controlled now - however I should ring the bailiff first. Check website for further details: www.a1pits.com

Trent proper
Nottingham Piscatorial Society - Day ticket waters.
Some good noted barbel pegs situated around 58 - 62 and further near the deep bend opposite Hardy's at Frandon, plus long lane end to the left at Rolleston. The Rolleston pegs are fairly easy to get to but the others require a longer walk and I mean longer. Day tickets must be purchased advance from selected outlets and you must have an EA licencein , including the Post Office at Rolleston: 01636 830230. (please phone during office hours)

Hardy's - you can drive to this and fish from the bank also some pond fishing or used to. The following number belongs to the farm shop which belongs to the owner I think - you may have to root out via the internet. Hardys Farm Shop,Farndon, Newark NG14 3SD Tel 07740-527576

Collingham - You should be able to find this on the internet.

Sutton on Trent - you need to be a member of the Barbel Society - again internet search will find.

I hope that the above helps - the EA also do a guide to Day ticket waters but not all are listed.

Best regards and tight lines

Peter

mark bradley

head for collingham weir mate full of barbel i had 16 lb 5oz one out begining of year :eek:)

glenn

Account Locked
Barbelcatcher i live just above the weir at beeston clifton side there has been a lot a big barbel comming out along the grove stretch but the water is so up and with that bloody hydro electric power station have you tried there

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Yes two or three times but many years ago, just on the inside of the bend opposite the college before it narrowed down. River was very low. From memory had about 2 barbel on stick and luncheon meat first time but found that too many anglers and litter so stick nearer my old stomping ground.

Normally fish around Newark wife visits her mother, I visit my sister and aunt and have a few hours fishing mostly on a Wednesday night and once about every fortnight at a weekend. Im sure that fishing time gets less the older you get. I know it takes me longer to walk there but less coming back since Ive eaten all my snap

daveyboy

how about girton on the tidal, s****horpe water day tickets on the bank

Rad1

newark dyke scr*pyard stretch is a good barbel water.if you walk down from the wier round the bend you'll come across a peg with a steel container sunk in the ground fish the 2nd peg up from that and fish just under the oppossite tree thats hanging in the water.ive had some very good barbel days there.

Last edited:

luremad

Barbelus Maximus
nottingham embankment stretch in front of the flats might not be as many barbel here as there is at any of the weirs but they do go up to just over 14pound and it is all FREE fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.