Trent and Mersey canal Barton Marina

Pickard1

This was a new venue for me, picked because it was about half way between my place and a mate I was fishing with. To maximise chances of some fish we planed to try the mouth of the marina, as we thought it might hold some fish, We couldn't find much written about this stretch, but boats are normally a good holding spot on other canals I've fished, so in the absence of any other info this was where we tried.

Upon arrival we could see it was towing slightly and was coloured. It looked nice, but obviously I don't have any reference point as to how this stretch usually fishes. The car was reading -3 and the towpath was well frozen, but the flow was keeping the canal ice free.

IMG-20201231-130113.jpg

I was fishing the pole. I plumbed up and found that it was quite deep straight off the keepnet, with only about 8" extra depth right down the track. Maybe the boat traffic from the marina keeps a good wide boat track?

I put in some liquidised bread down the track and a small ball of groundbait laced with squatts and casters about 3m off the far tins, where it was about 3" shallower than the centre of the canal. I started on a large punch, but nothing was doing, so I switched to a smaller punch. After 30 minutes or so I tried a flouro pinkie over the groundbait, again, there was nothing there. I tried holding back and running through.

After an hour or so, things weren't looking very good. I'd hopped off my box to talk to my mate, we were considering moving to a new venue when some local chaps turned up. They said that it was usually a good spot, but was perhaps a bit too coloured. We decided to give it 10 more minutes and then we would look at packing up. To try and force something to happen I started feeding a pouch of squatts with each run through of the float. On the 3rd or 4th run through, the float went under, a couple of meters past my feed. It was a solid fish and puled out a couple of meters of my 3-4 elastic. After a bit of a scrap I had a skimmer about 3lb in the net. I went straight back out and on the next run through I had a smaller fish that was giving the runaround, I guessed it might be a hybrid, and sure enough it was a hybrid about 1lb.

I continued to feed the squatts, but the fish disappeared. I tried backing off the feed, upping the feed, but they had disappeared. Then a lock opened and a boat came through, so I decided to try another ball of groundbait, as I thought any bait I had was probably well spread about. I left the groundbait to settle for a bit and after 10 minutes or so started back fishing, nothing happened at first, so I began firing in the squatts and had a run of three fish in three run-throughs. All of them chunky skimmers of 1lb ish. After the third fish it all went quiet again. I tried resting the swim, feeding more, feeding less, another ball of groundbait, but to no avail.

It was a strange day. 5 bites in 4 hours fishing is pretty slow going, although I can't complain as I ended up with about 7lb of fish! No small fish seemed to be present, I thought I might get some small perch or roach feeding squatt. All the bream were caught running through, just off the bottom, not exactly where I'd expect to catch them.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any other info about this stretch, how it usually fishes etc.

IMG-20201231-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20201231-WA0001.jpg

rudd

Site Supporter
Oddly even though I am from Suffolk I know the spot well!
Spent three years with at least 5 days each month staying in Burton and working in Barton/Derby.
During this time walked the canal for hours or branston water, other lakes in area or River Trent.
I should of bought a Burton mutal book!
Barton turns is a well known hot spot for big Zander, the only anglers I saw there where always fishing for them.
I take it the marina like any other holds silverfish, hence reason zander are there!
I did see pole anglers in Burton itself near the breweries.
Anglers at Branston water park said the canal strech next to it also good as bream caught by carp anglers - transfered tk that stretch! 😯😬😯😬

Pickard1

Thanks Rudd. We did see a lot of people spinning, it didn't strike me as good spinning conditions owing to the water being very coloured!