treating fish with respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeoman

Grayling are one of those fish that don't give you any help, particularly when hooked downstream of your position ie when trotting.
In regard to their tendency to go belly up, I'm convinced it may be some sort of defence mechanism.
I've had several come off half way back, only to watch them float belly up for 20 or 30 yards, before coming to their senses and disappearing.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
than allowing fish to flap around on the bare ground.
I don’t think anyone would advocate putting fish down on bare ground. That’s rather different to laying them down in a net over lush grass or semi submerged reeds. A mat is still obviously the safer bet but I don’t think using soft, lush, wet vegetation in conjunction with a net should get quite the grief it does at times.

carphauler

When I was match fishing, rolling fish down nets was not allowed let alone being 'a new trend' and as for barbel not thrashing around, yes they do and are more likely to as soon as you land them not when they've been 'out of the water a while'.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They don't tend to flap when played to a standstill either.
Know which I prefer.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The worst of fish handling I witness is from cluless pleasure anglers who have no idea about how to deal with the fish thery catch. As a "match" angler I would say that 99% of my fish are returned to the water, safely, within ten seconds of being landed regardless of size. My biggest fish, an 18-6 carp was unhooked in my lap and back in the water within seconds. No need for a mat or the ground.

But I witness pleasure anglers regularly doing the following.

Net the fish and walk back from the bank before laying the fish on the ground.
Walk back to their box and search for a disgorger.
Then take sometimes minutes to unhook the fish.
Walk back to the bank with rod & line before returning to the fish.
Walk down the bank with the fish to show their mate, then take a photo
Walk further down the bank to release the fish at an empty peg.

Often this process takes 3-5 minutes or more by which time I am gagging to shout at them across the lake. Even when weighing in fish are often out of the water less than a minute.

I don't like dropping fish into the water and will usually use the landing net, even with small fish. But having seen fish jump, of their own accord, free of the surface I cannot think that dropping them from a low height causes any issues.

As for emptying a keepnet, there is a recognised best practice way of doing it that most match anglers have mastered. Pleasure anglers still tumble fish the length of the net.

TiggerXFM

They don't tend to flap when played to a standstill either.
Know which I prefer.
You barbel experts talk so much utter nonsense.

I have numerous videos of myself catching barbel on the float rod, photograping them with no flopping about from the barbel and releasing them, with them bolting off.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Nonsense because you don't agree with it?

The same videos you had on FM by any chance Ian?

Status
Not open for further replies.