treating fish with respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartie 1

just returned from a silverfish festival and the treatment to skimmers and bream was very poor,all week i saw fish up to 3pound caught and just dropped into the net from up to a metre height,landing with a big splash on their tails.this action causes the rays of the tails to break and you end up with rounded tails.this action also shows match fishing in a poor light.when the fish is netted leave the fish in the net and place it in the keepnet causing less pain and distress to the fish.i wish fishery owners would implement this rule.

TiggerXFM

I don't think being dropped from several feet into water would bother a fish in any way, although, being dropped into a keepnet like that could damage their fins or scales if they hit the net below or above the water.
The new trend in rolling a net full of fish into a net head is a bad practice and causes split fins, broken fin rays which don't grow back, knocks off scales which leaves fish open to infections etc etc.
Celebrity anglers like James Robbins seem to promote this and imo they should know better, as many followers of theirs simply copy their antics.

I suppose if fishing a match there is no other option than use keepnets, but it would help if the person/persons involved used some common sense at least.
I can't see any point in using a keepnet if not fishing a match, it's just damaging fish for the sake of it.

My local river has seen an explosion in silver fish numbers to the float fishermens delight. Problem is many of these anglers are obsessed with keeping the fish in nets, and copy the new fad in rolling them into a net head. Lots of youtubers do the same, including a regular one on here. Already i've noticed damaged fish in large numbers. The other day I caught a lot of small'ish roach and virtually evey one has split fins, scales missing etc, it was quite sickening to be honest, I prefer to catch pristein fish.
Now these same anglers will be shouting for the culling of otters etc when the fish numbers start to decline!

Before the mat brigade start shouting at me that I don't use a mat for my barbel, chub pic's....I do if it is necessary. Using a mat for the sake of pleasing others isn't my style. A mat is a health hazzard for fish.
Having kept fish from being a kid (and still do) I do have some idea of how to treat them to keep them in mint fettle 👍.

JLK

Just a thing about match anglers.
I'm pretty sure that my local shop would suffer badly if it wasn't for the local match anglers that use it.
Pleasure anglers are rife but don't spend half as much money on a weekly basis and I guess that goes for the whole country really.

grey

Site Supporter
I don't think it paints match fishing in a particularly bad light, anyone who has an issue with fish welfare, is more concerned about us dragging fish out the water by a hook in their mouth, than they are about how we chuck them back in again.

Anglers' standards of care does differ, but then again I suppose we do live in a 'do as I do' demanding type of society at the moment.

Perhaps their handling is not as bad as you imagine?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm sure I saw a video of stocking of Bream into a lake I fish by water cannon. This is not an excuse to mistreat fish, but I think they're more hardy than some would imagine?

TiggerXFM

I'm sure I saw a video of stocking of Bream into a lake I fish by water cannon. This is not an excuse to mistreat fish, but I think they're more hardy than some would imagine?
There are different meanings to being "hardy". They may be able to stand low or high temp's etc, but being rolled down a net with some being buried under the weight of others while the angler keeps them out of the water talking nonsese is just plain ignorant imo. Even if you put them in a keepnet, why go on to roll them into a net head, all flapping about and crushing the ones beneath, just to put them infront of you, still flapping about and gasping for air <EDIT>, I mean, where is the sense in that?
Then when the angler has finnished talkin' <EDIT> they have the nerve to say "i'll put them back straight away"....brain dead or what?
Why not just put the fish back before talking <EDIT>?
There are a number of numpties do this on their youtube videos, hopefully these idiots will see this and cease to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"A mat is a health hazzard for fish."

Could you please add an explanation to the above

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There are different meanings to being "hardy". They may be able to stand low or high temp's etc, but being rolled down a net with some being buried under the weight of others while the angler keeps them out of the water talking nonsese is just plain ignorant imo. Even if you put them in a keepnet, why go on to roll them into a net head, all flapping about and crushing the ones beneath, just to put them infront of you, still flapping about and gasping for air whilst you talk bullshine, I mean, where is the sense in that?
Then when the angler has finnished talkin' shyte they have the nerve to say "i'll put them back straight away"....brain dead or what?
Why not just put the fish back before talking shyte?
There are a number of numpties do this on their youtube videos, hopefully these idiots will see this and cease to do it.
Fair points. I remember when I fished club matches, fish would be weighed in a white metal mesh box on the scales. Maybe fish care has moved on, as although I have done the landing net shot with fish before, I'm willing to listen to those who don't think I should.

TiggerXFM

"A mat is a health hazzard for fish."

Could you please add an explanation to the above
Yup, when anglers lay a fish on a mat the fish leaves slime and any possibly parasites etc on the mat. Unless you blow troch your mat after every fish the next fish to be layed on the mat is laying on a potential disease.
Obviously, there are places where a mat is 100% necessary, but if the ground is safe then it is a better option, it's a no brainer.

Think of a towel hanging in a public toilets, would you wipe your hands and face on it?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
<EDIT - Comment removed >

If you use a mat properly you wet it before you put the fish on it and any potential bacteria will be killed as the mat dries out in between.
Next fish on you wet it down again first or do what many do and place the fish in the wet net on the mat.

There is a hint of hypocrisy in your posts about nets .

You are quite happy to lie fish on grass with no idea if there is anything below the grass that may be sharp enough to damage the eyes of a creature that has no eyelids.
You are also quite happy to stage a fish for a photograph purely for your own satisfaction.
A fish such as Barbel that tends to flap around a bit and a species of fish that requires a decent amount of oxygen after it has given its all in the fight.
What do you do if there is no soft grass around?

If you really cared that much you woudn't do either of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

davvo

Site Supporter
Aye, keep nets are the same i suppose. Some clubs ban felt sole waders for a similar reason because of transmitting disease from one water to another. Not sure where it all starts and finishes though. Maybe washing feeders next before re-using them again on a different water?

TiggerXFM

To coin a phrase "you are talking shyte"

If you use a mat properly you wet it before you put the fish on it and and potential bacteria will be killed as the mat dries out in between.
Next fish on you wet it dpwn again first or do what many do and place the fish in the wet net on the mat.

There is a hint of hypocrisy in your posts about nets .

You are quite happy to lie fish on grass with no idea if there is anything below the grass that may be sharp enough to damage the eyes of a creature that has no eyelids.
You are also quite happy to stage a fish for a photograph purely for your own satisfaction.
A fish such as Barbel that tends to flap around a bit and a species of fish that requires a decent amount of oxygen after it has given its all in the fight.

If you really cared that much you woudn't do either of the above.

I would say that your phrase describes yourself.

Swilling a mat off in water will not kill bacteria, take some milton with you and wipe the mat off with that if you really care.
Very often, I catch fish one after the other, so the mat would not dry off. Also, it's not always a hot sunny day.
Bacteria arn't instantly killed by sunlight.

I always give the ground a check over before placing a fish on it, it's quite simple, isn't it? Thankfully I don't need glasses or a magnifying glass to see if the ground is suitable to put a fish on without poking it's eyeball out.
It takes me seconds to lay a fish on the deck and take a picture and the fish is back in the river and on it's way, Maybe it will be a re capture not long after, wanting another pic taken 🙄.
Barbel tend to flop around, really!...barbel hardly ever move when layed on the deck! Infact they are prolly the most obliging fish there are to take a pic of. Maybe if your barbel are thrashing about it's because you have kept them out of the water for too long? The fish I catch and photograph are back in the water quick smart, no faffing about, because i'm experienced enough to know how to care for them.
Even during hot weather I very rarely ever have to rest a fish because it's fatigued, maybe thats because I catch them on a float rod and haven't dragged them out on heavy sea fishing tackle?
I often release my fish mid river without even removing them from the water.
For some reason I thought you had a bit of knowladge, maybe I was mistaken?

Total

Site Supporter
eating popcorn.gif

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Making a personal attack is a well known deflection tactic, but I will ignore that and bring this back on topic.

Selective non-answering of this question:

Do you participate on BFW at all Tigger as if you did you would already be aware that the majority of members with a pedigree of big fish are predominately in favour of an unhooking mat for any large fish of any species.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One thing I'd agree with is that if landing net catch shots are bad, then top anglers don't set a good example as a quick google would show up examples from Nudd to Scotthorne to Arthur and more. I'm willing to listen though and have proved that in the past as I used to hold fish like this for photos, again you will see top anglers handling fish like this, especially Bream. Many people told me it was wrong so I don't hold fish like that anymore. As for keepnets, I like them, but when the subject has came up before there are many people that are vocally against them for pleasure fishing.

IMG_7988.JPG

Total

Site Supporter
One thing I'd agree with is that if landing net catch shots are bad, then top anglers don't set a good example as a quick google would show up examples from Nudd to Scotthorne to Arthur and more. I'm willing to listen though and have proved that in the past as I used to hold fish like this for photos, again you will see top anglers handling fish like this, especially Bream. Many people told me it was wrong so I don't hold fish like that anymore. As for keepnets, I like them, but when the subject has came up before there are many people that are vocally against them for pleasure fishing.

IMG_7988.JPG
^^ Is that at Patshull Steve?

TiggerXFM

Making a personal attack is a well known deflection tactic, but I will ignore that and bring this back on topic.

Selective non-answering of this question:

Do you participate on BFW at all Tigger as if you did you would already be aware that the majority of members with a pedigree of big fish are predominately in favour of an unhooking mat for any large fish of any species.
You reap what you sow Lee, no need to say I am talking shyte, just dissagree with me.

If there is no suitable spot for a pic of a fish, then I will use a mat...

june-11-tench.jpg

....or else simply give a picture a miss. One year I was lucky enough to catch 398 barbel in a season, 43 in a afternoon session so i'm not short of models to take a pic of 👍.

No, i've never been on BFW, not my scene, I am very happy with maggot drowners thanks Lee 👍.

Attachments

• oct-23-pike3web.jpg
    oct-23-pike3web.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 23
  • april-14-carp-1-web.jpg
    april-14-carp-1-web.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.