Trail / spy camera

PeteC

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using spy / trail cameras for trying to catch vandals / poachers..? We've had some problems on one of our stretches of river and we're wondering if putting up a couple of cameras would help in trying to identify / catch the buggers...! No doubt the poachers are our E.U friends, but not sure if they are the same ones causing the vandalism.

Any help with makes/models and siting and operation would be greatfully received...thanks

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A fishery near me has 4 camera's up just for the purposes you mention. They were originally put up to try and catch/identify who was night fishing illegally. It took a few days to catch them, plus the camera's were put in different positions during that time, but they worked. There are cheaper ones about but you get what you pay for, also you have to think of the distance/field of view they have to cover. They also caught a couple of scrotes trying (unsuccessfully) to steal some gear from a chaps car.

Here's what they have...

PeteC

Thanks guys... we know there's loads of different models out there so it is a question of which, if any, work and how well..... I think we know it's going to take time to catch them as probably none of us will recognise them so it's down to trying to isolate a time when they are "at work...." I think we also realise that probably we might lose a camera or two to the little scroats but the odd few quid spent here and there is a small loss if word gets out that we are in to them.
Comments much appreciated...?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Other than being a deterrent for easily spooked thieves I really don't see the point.
10/10 times they come at night time and the footage is trash because it's so dark and you can't tell one person from the next.

At my local, we have a proper camera that you'd see on a a footpath recording the gate. Less than 2 months ago they jumped over the gate right in front of the camera which was less than 2m away and broke into the shed. This happens at least 3 times a year and theres nothing that can be done about it because you simply can't pin the crime on anybody unless you catch them in the act.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using spy / trail cameras for trying to catch vandals / poachers..? We've had some problems on one of our stretches of river and we're wondering if putting up a couple of cameras would help in trying to identify / catch the buggers...! No doubt the poachers are our E.U friends, but not sure if they are the same ones causing the vandalism.

Any help with makes/models and siting and operation would be greatfully received...thanks

Bought an Apeman Wildlife cam off Amazon this time last year, for the price it was brilliant until it wouldn't recognise the memory card, tried a different one but wouldn't read that either. I will add that the company was brilliant and gave me a refund within days. Whilst it was working the results were amazing, Badgers, hedgehogs and even a Muntjac deer put in a brief appearance . Foxes were routine nightly.
Highly recommend . Looking at alternatives for myself.

PeteC

Bought an Apeman Wildlife cam off Amazon this time last year, for the price it was brilliant until it wouldn't recognise the memory card, tried a different one but wouldn't read that either. I will add that the company was brilliant and gave me a refund within days. Whilst it was working the results were amazing, Badgers, hedgehogs and even a Muntjac deer put in a brief appearance . Foxes were routine nightly.
Highly recommend . Looking at alternatives for myself.
This is a stretch of river we are talking about so we don't have 'captive' fish, but it's just so damn annoying that idiots take pleasure in destroying anything they can and spoiling the fishing for those that work hard and pay for and maintain the fishery....... apart from this it will be very interesting to see what wildlife the area attracts...its not really totally rural nor urban as such and it's really a very large island which can flood badly at times so can't wait to see what's hiding away...(apart from the mink who turn up even when you are fishing and have probably scared off many other animals)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
This is a stretch of river we are talking about so we don't have 'captive' fish, but it's just so damn annoying that idiots take pleasure in destroying anything they can and spoiling the fishing for those that work hard and pay for and maintain the fishery....... apart from this it will be very interesting to see what wildlife the area attracts...its not really totally rural nor urban as such and it's really a very large island which can flood badly at times so can't wait to see what's hiding away...(apart from the mink who turn up even when you are fishing and have probably scared off many other animals)

If you go down the camera route, make sure they are well hidden from prying eyes,

I have a good deterrent for Mink, it's called a .22 hollow point.

PeteC

Trying to work out the best sites today...and as far as the mink are concerned, well, we have set a trap but they ignored that....we do have a similar armoury to 'dissuade' them though ???