Tour De France

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Im not surprised Cyclists get knocked off their bikes, last sunday on our way to Skipton we seen em 2 and 3 abreast on a little road, but if i have to slow really down to get past Albert lets em know they were in the wrong :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Not all like that. I was taken out by a kid on a scooter who decided he’d just cross the road. Luckily the helmet did it’s job

rudd

Site Supporter
Not all like that. I was taken out by a kid on a scooter who decided he’d just cross the road. Luckily the helmet did it’s job
Used to feel a helmut when wearing a helmet until I had an unexpected crash.
Mountain bike on a road in summer after a downpour.
On bike at speed one second, in a heap in gutter the next with helmut cracked in half.
Tyre just lost all grip and was off in an instant! Bit of gravel rash but head saved!

Robwooly

Helmets were made mandatory for pro cycling when Andrey Kivilev died in a random crash going uphill during Paris - Nice in 2003, this made everyone realise it only take one bump on the head and you could be a gonna.

There was a crash yesterday when a guy in the breakaway misjudged a bend and broke their bike in two places as they slid along a crash barrier in slow motion, could have been bad if there was a sheer drop but fortunately he was just dumped on his bum on soft grass, pro cycling is proper dangerous and that's without road traffic. Unpredictable too, you can't call who will win each day, not many sports can say that

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Cycling at this level is an amazing Sport.
Unfortunately it also encourages a lot of wannabe 'racers' onto the roads and they can be a nightmare for other road users.

rudd

Site Supporter
Cycling at this level is an amazing Sport.
Unfortunately it also encourages a lot of wannabe 'racers' onto the roads and they can be a nightmare for other road users.
Got stuck behind an amateur Pelaton last night on way home from short session on club water.
Was not feeling well and also wanted to catch tour highlights so in a rush.
They were averaging at around 25mph through the village some doubled up.
To safely overtake (clear them all) would of meant going over 30mph speed limit - so not safe!
Went round a bend behind them and 50meters ahead sat a mobile speed camera!
In my opinion Pelatons should be illegal on public roads as they are both a hazard and nuisance - I ride mountain bikes cross country.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Got stuck behind an amateur Pelaton last night on way home from short session on club water.
Was not feeling well and also wanted to catch tour highlights so in a rush.
They were averaging at around 25mph through the village some doubled up.
To safely overtake (clear them all) would of meant going over 30mph speed limit - so not safe!
Went round a bend behind them and 50meters ahead sat a mobile speed camera!
In my opinion Pelatons should be illegal on public roads as they are both a hazard and nuisance - I ride mountain bikes cross country.
so you really couldn't afford to be going 5mph slower than the legal limit through a village?

proper group rides are no different to being held up behind a tractor and trailer .... a bigger problem is straggling groups where riders leave gaps, but not big enough to overtake to.

rudd

Site Supporter
so you really couldn't afford to be going 5mph slower than the legal limit through a village?

proper group rides are no different to being held up behind a tractor and trailer .... a bigger problem is straggling groups where riders leave gaps, but not big enough to overtake to.
I was happy they were going 25mph - if slower may have been tempted to get past and may have been receiving a letter in 14 days time! Short journey of a few minutes for me - the cars and bus behind???
The trouble with majority of amateur group riders is they want respect from other road users but generally give none back then wonder why they get hooted at or worse.
Riding two, three or four abreast - two is legal but common sense should prevail on some roads, riding outside of bike lanes, swerving out into middle of road to let new rider at front, incorrect signals, not letting traffic past and speeding at inappropriate times or places in the road.

Gave first aid to a cyclist this year who went over the bars at a mini roundabout, he was kicking off about why did the car pull out? My argument with him - if you were driving a car approaching the roundabout you would have slowed down not tried to go over it at speed! The driver could not have seen you going down hill round a slight bend with a narrow profile hitting mini roundabout at nearly 28mph as indicated on his broken speedo!

Unfortunately have had several run ins with so called groups resulting in police getting involved. Each time they (cyclists) reported my actions. Each time my evidence resulted in them getting a reprimand from police for their actions as dangerous road users and for thier attitude when confronted after I have pulled in way ahead of them and asked them to pull over to show them dashcam footage.

In a nutshell amateur cyclists should be concentrating and considerate of both their and other road users safety and usage rather on trying to beat their strava statistics. 😐

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I was happy they were going 25mph - if slower may have been tempted to get past and may have been receiving a letter in 14 days time! Short journey of a few minutes for me - the cars and bus behind???
The trouble with majority of amateur group riders is they want respect from other road users but generally give none back then wonder why they get hooted at or worse.
Riding two, three or four abreast - two is legal but common sense should prevail on some roads, riding outside of bike lanes, swerving out into middle of road to let new rider at front, incorrect signals, not letting traffic past and speeding at inappropriate times or places in the road.

Gave first aid to a cyclist this year who went over the bars at a mini roundabout, he was kicking off about why did the car pull out? My argument with him - if you were driving a car approaching the roundabout you would have slowed down not tried to go over it at speed! The driver could not have seen you going down hill round a slight bend with a narrow profile hitting mini roundabout at nearly 28mph as indicated on his broken speedo!

Unfortunately have had several run ins with so called groups resulting in police getting involved. Each time they (cyclists) reported my actions. Each time my evidence resulted in them getting a reprimand from police for their actions as dangerous road users and for thier attitude when confronted after I have pulled in way ahead of them and asked them to pull over to show them dashcam footage.

In a nutshell amateur cyclists should be concentrating and considerate of both their and other road users safety and usage rather on trying to beat their strava statistics. 😐
agree with pretty much all of that - it's not the group riding per se that's the problem - it's the attitude of some of the riders!

I do have a pretty firm view on riding two abreast - which is that a car can't safely overtake a single cyclist unless they go over the centre line - therefore two or even three abreast should present no more of a problem. In fact it condenses the length of overtaking so should be encouraged!

rudd

Site Supporter
agree with pretty much all of that - it's not the group riding per se that's the problem - it's the attitude of some of the riders!

I do have a pretty firm view on riding two abreast - which is that a car can't safely overtake a single cyclist unless they go over the centre line - therefore two or even three abreast should present no more of a problem. In fact it condenses the length of overtaking so should be encouraged!
I blame strava 😂 my sister holds several queen of the mountain bike stages in Scotland.
At a cost of broken ribs, leg, arm and ambulance, rescue and NHS time 😠

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
a mountain biker who thinks road cycling is dangerous??? you're obviously not trying hard enough ;)

I blame failure to educate on personal risk assessment ... the most dangerous thing most of us do daily is to get in a car - but with the metal cage and modern safety equipment we have little concept and judgement of the risks. if we then transfer that lack of experience to a push bike as a mamil ...

It's similar to the calls for "we should have guard rails on cliffs" ... I'd much rather that there is education and limited signage.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Groups should break up and let cars pass (we do)
We don’t always hear them , sometimes the wind will whistle through your helmet around your ears.
People should just learn to be patient

rudd

Site Supporter
penultimate day.
Roglic had a 57 second advantage over Pogacar.
Time trial, both on road
Podacar 1m 14 seconds ahead with 1km to go, Roglic has 2km

rudd

Site Supporter
Podacar wins The Tour by over a minute.😀

Richie Porte makes podium in third!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Amazing race today.

Pogacar, what a prospect for the future.

alsur

Site Supporter
Roglic has had an extremely strong team working for him, how much do you think that helped him prior to time trial and without that he was exposed in time trial. Would Podager already been in yellow if he was in a stronger team.