Tougher Expanders

CarpCatcher86

I am pretty new to using expanders and was wondering if there is any way to toughen up expanders to enable them to stay on the hook for casting longer distances, either when float or feeder fishing? I have seen videos and read articles that show expanders being pumped or soaked using a thick liquid flavouring, which of course adds flavour and increases durability. The added durability I want but not the added flvour. I use the Dynamite pro expanders and a Ringers pellet pump if that helps.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Those Sonu baits expanders are tough and last a few days ,and so easy to do

Marker50

Site Supporter
Use cold water.and a few ice cubes in a mini flask over night.
Dont put to many pellets in flask

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I explain how i use gelatine to prepare expanders in this blog post

The Landlord

Site Supporter
For an easy option, try the Sonubait Ready to Use expanders. They come in 6mm & 8mm. three different flavours & are £2.99 a tub. That will do you quite a few sessions & they're quite a bit firmer. I've had a few good days on them & even though I missed a few bites until I altered my shotting, they always stayed on the hook.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
When using the waggler and expanders you need to make sure you feather your line just before it hits the water to stop the whip effect and your expander flying off. Also the size of hook. If you are trying to cast a 6mm with an 18 you dont get enough grip whereas a 14 will fit very nicely. On the bomb, a push stop fed through the side of the expander gives a better hold imo. Next time you go fishing have a few casts but wind in carefully to check see if the expander is staying on.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Another for Sonubaits here too - the banoffee work really well I find

CarpCatcher86

When using the waggler and expanders you need to make sure you feather your line just before it hits the water to stop the whip effect and your expander flying off. Also the size of hook. If you are trying to cast a 6mm with an 18 you dont get enough grip whereas a 14 will fit very nicely. On the bomb, a push stop fed through the side of the expander gives a better hold imo. Next time you go fishing have a few casts but wind in carefully to check see if the expander is staying on.
Thaks mate, I do that when waggler fishing anyway.