Tough session on a frosty Thames at Sandford (Oxford)

adriang

Site Supporter
Fished Thursday 26 November 2020.

@warrington63 and I fished the Thames at Sandford lock, fishing the boat channel rather than the main river (convenient access and the river is still pushing through from recent rain). We dropped in on the boat moorings opposite the pub.

We started kitting up about 10, it was still frosty and about 3 degrees, but it was a sunny day and did warm up a little.

Mark fished a straight lead, mainly with worm after perch, but suffered with the amount of weed still on the river bed, and a whip at about 5m fishing maggot. (I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong).

I fished an insert waggler, with 3 nbr 8s down the line (2 bunched, one dropper). Shimano XMS 13ft waggler rod, abu 506m reel with 2lb maxima. Can't remember what hooklength at about 30cm, and a 22 maver katana hook, fishing about 1/2 to 3/4 across I fed a bed of hemp and the loose fed bronze maggots on top.

Picked up the small odd roach after about 30 mins, they came in small flurrys, and were eventually at about 11 meters, so figured it was time to get on the pole. Got all set up and ready, only to find I'd left all my pole rigs at home. Borrowed the only suitable one Mark had (I wanted an olivette to get the bait down), only to find it was really overshotted, and removing all the dropper shot wasn't enough. (tried vaseline on the float too). So back on the waggler, and stayed on it. Towards the end of the session, I started to catch a few better stamp fish, none big enough for the landing net, think it was a combination of stepping up my feeding and possibly less walkers on the bank.

Stopped at 3pm, we needed to head off and it was starting to get colder.

Improvements:
Remember my pole gear!
Should have tried punched bread first of all, the moved on the the maggot, had it with me, didn't use it.

Mark (Mr Preston) beat the blank in the last hour! IMG_6138.jpeg

My net, felt it was a pretty good day considering.
IMG_6139.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Seriously good effort mate to catch! Was a blanking day if ever I saw one.

I got there about 8 and it was so cold I went home and ditched the gear and went for a walk down donnington and Kennington once it had warmed up instead. Going to have another go on Sunday when it's a bit warmer. River was in not bad nick though probably only a couple days off perfect.

Total

Site Supporter
An half decent day given the weather conditions....:)(y)

.......It also explains why Mark suffers so many liners on his pole rigs!:love::ROFLMAO:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
An half decent day given the weather conditions....:)(y)

.......It also explains why Mark suffers so many liners on his pole rigs!:love::ROFLMAO:
It was a Drennan "lake" pole rig, purchased already made up, I used the same type of rig on the whip, ( one of the few that had long length of line on it) ,that one dotted itself right down, I think only the surface tension kept it afloat, and it was first time of using them.....So there ..... ?