Tough Reservoir Roaching

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So over the past few weeks my uncle and grandad have been easily catching comfortable double figure bags of roach from boddington reservoir midweek whilst I’ve been stuck working! The better weather finally gave me the chance to join grandad there today and I was expecting similar fishing but my days it was a battle for a multitude of reasons! Very waffly report as a result! On the side early drizzle and late wind aside the weather was beautiful a proper summers day at last!

Got there early enough for an 8 start but the first 2 hours were a complete write off due to the surface being plastered in pollen that completely prevented casting and winding by snagging through rings with massive near unmovable blobs so we just had to sit it feeding whilst waiting for the wind to blow up and shift it. By about 10 it had gone so fishing could properly commence and it was a steady ish stream of bites from then til about 2 when it just Died possibly due to the strengthening wind messing up presentation until we packed up at 3. It was steady bites but I missed or bumped easily half through a mix of fishing deep when I should have been shallow and vice versa and my general incompetence at float fishing deep water having hardly done it before. Plus I took too long to shallow up and then stayed shallow too long which almost certainly cost a lot more bites and when I did get them going the pike came in and killed it! Probably didn’t feed enough either so not my finest performance. So all in I only caught probably a couple dozen fish 3/4 of which were roach and 1/4 perch whereas if I’d fished better and just generally been able to fish at all those first two hours I’d have probably doubled my catch. That still wouldn’t have been as much as my uncle and grandad have had on their previous sessions (grandad said just generally there were way fewer bites today and he struggled as well) but would have been decent bag for a first go. The redeeming factor however was that the roach were a cracking stamp as you’ll see from the pictures with a good few over a pound and the perch were pretty chunky as well so was a quality over quantity day.

Tackle for the day was both the 14ft and 13ft acolyte ultra float rods both paired with 2500 Shimano Sahara RD reels loaded with 3lb maxima to 1.g drennan loaded crystal insert wagglers to size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hooks to nylon. The 14ft was set just off the bottom at about 11ft and the 13ft at about mid depth at 6ft. I tried a few different hook baits but only single red maggot worked which was fished over a mix of sensas roach and frenzied hemp groundbait laced with hemp, red maggot and caster with loose feed of mostly read maggot and a bit of caster. Really should have feeder fished those first couple hours when the pollen prevented float fishing but I was not a happy bunny at that stage so just sat catapulting!

All in all whilst it was a very frustrating day due to the pollen, wind, my incompetence and the fish not being as up for it as they have been meaning I didn’t catch much it’s never a bad day when you catch some lovely sized roach! I’ve got a much better idea of how to tackle it next time out now so provided the fish are a bit more on it like they have been my uncle and grandads other sessions I should be able to put a better bag together. Not sure why the fish weren’t as on it as they had been as conditions weren’t bad at all so maybe was the increased pressure of the first busy warm weekend as oppose to the quieter midweek. No one else was catching much either by the sounds of it so maybe just one of those days. Anyway I plan to give it another go next weekend as planning to try either Marlborough pool or Dorchester lake Monday. Those being two more new venues to me that I haven’t a clue how to fish!

Few pics of the swim and a few roach of all sizes from probably the biggest to probably one of the smallest. Should have got some perch pics really as was some nice ones.
1622304705011.jpeg

1622304732369.jpeg
1622304744759.jpeg
1622304757447.jpeg
1622304767336.jpeg
1622304776702.jpeg

1622304787717.jpeg

satinet

Site Supporter
There's some corking roach in there.

What's the water level like at the moment? Not been for ages.

Dam wall end?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There's some corking roach in there.

What's the water level like at the moment? Not been for ages.

Dam wall end?
Yeah certainly is some very nice roach in there. Just wasn’t many about today and most those that were about were too tricky for me! I’ve not fished so badly in a long time thats for sure literally out of my depth.

Water was pretty high right up to the first platform so a good few steps covered. Yes was peg 30 something but not sure which. It’s been from 32 and 36 that my uncle and grandad have been having the good bags hence why we went same area but maybe should have gone to a shallower bit now it’s warmed up, who knows! Mind you wasn’t much room elsewhere without a massive walk as was packed.

satinet

Site Supporter
Yeah it does get packed. Slider can be worth a go. It depends on the depth which obviously goes up and down a lot. When the water level is lower the back part of the cast is a problem when fishing fairly deep.

I was fishing for roach once when the Mrs has a feeder out. Ferocious tow - maybe the gates were open at that other end. A foot + of line wouldn't hold so I just let it run. I'll never forget that one big one after another just loose feeding corn.

Would love to go and fish it but I get put off by the numbers of people there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Those are quality Roach, so sounds like not too bad a day, pollen and stuff aside! (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Those are quality Roach, so sounds like not too bad a day, pollen and stuff aside! (y)
Tbh had I not gone with perceived ideas of what it can be like (my uncle and grandad really have been emptying the place) it would have seemed ok. Just knowing what it could have been like then fishing like a tit after not being able to fish at all first couple hours just wound me up. As soon as the few bigger roach came out I was happy! I’ll do a better job next time haha

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah it does get packed. Slider can be worth a go. It depends on the depth which obviously goes up and down a lot. When the water level is lower the back part of the cast is a problem when fishing fairly deep.

I was fishing for roach once when the Mrs has a feeder out. Ferocious tow - maybe the gates were open at that other end. A foot + of line wouldn't hold so I just let it run. I'll never forget that one big one after another just loose feeding corn.

Would love to go and fish it but I get put off by the numbers of people there.
I can imagine it’s easier to fish when it’s lower. Even with a 14ft rod fishing at 11ft was very awkward. Much nicer fishing half depth on the 13ft rod but I started that too late then would have run out of bait if I’d stuck to it too long.

I was surprised to see the canal feeder is like a proper canal there so it surprised it causes some tow. The one at Clattercote is just a ditch by comparison.

And yeah it was very busy. I do wonder if that’s partly why it’s been hard today as it’s been near empty when my uncle and grandad have done really well on week days.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
So over the past few weeks my uncle and grandad have been easily catching comfortable double figure bags of roach from boddington reservoir midweek whilst I’ve been stuck working! The better weather finally gave me the chance to join grandad there today and I was expecting similar fishing but my days it was a battle for a multitude of reasons! Very waffly report as a result! On the side early drizzle and late wind aside the weather was beautiful a proper summers day at last!

Got there early enough for an 8 start but the first 2 hours were a complete write off due to the surface being plastered in pollen that completely prevented casting and winding by snagging through rings with massive near unmovable blobs so we just had to sit it feeding whilst waiting for the wind to blow up and shift it. By about 10 it had gone so fishing could properly commence and it was a steady ish stream of bites from then til about 2 when it just Died possibly due to the strengthening wind messing up presentation until we packed up at 3. It was steady bites but I missed or bumped easily half through a mix of fishing deep when I should have been shallow and vice versa and my general incompetence at float fishing deep water having hardly done it before. Plus I took too long to shallow up and then stayed shallow too long which almost certainly cost a lot more bites and when I did get them going the pike came in and killed it! Probably didn’t feed enough either so not my finest performance. So all in I only caught probably a couple dozen fish 3/4 of which were roach and 1/4 perch whereas if I’d fished better and just generally been able to fish at all those first two hours I’d have probably doubled my catch. That still wouldn’t have been as much as my uncle and grandad have had on their previous sessions (grandad said just generally there were way fewer bites today and he struggled as well) but would have been decent bag for a first go. The redeeming factor however was that the roach were a cracking stamp as you’ll see from the pictures with a good few over a pound and the perch were pretty chunky as well so was a quality over quantity day.

Tackle for the day was both the 14ft and 13ft acolyte ultra float rods both paired with 2500 Shimano Sahara RD reels loaded with 3lb maxima to 1.g drennan loaded crystal insert wagglers to size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hooks to nylon. The 14ft was set just off the bottom at about 11ft and the 13ft at about mid depth at 6ft. I tried a few different hook baits but only single red maggot worked which was fished over a mix of sensas roach and frenzied hemp groundbait laced with hemp, red maggot and caster with loose feed of mostly read maggot and a bit of caster. Really should have feeder fished those first couple hours when the pollen prevented float fishing but I was not a happy bunny at that stage so just sat catapulting!

All in all whilst it was a very frustrating day due to the pollen, wind, my incompetence and the fish not being as up for it as they have been meaning I didn’t catch much it’s never a bad day when you catch some lovely sized roach! I’ve got a much better idea of how to tackle it next time out now so provided the fish are a bit more on it like they have been my uncle and grandads other sessions I should be able to put a better bag together. Not sure why the fish weren’t as on it as they had been as conditions weren’t bad at all so maybe was the increased pressure of the first busy warm weekend as oppose to the quieter midweek. No one else was catching much either by the sounds of it so maybe just one of those days. Anyway I plan to give it another go next weekend as planning to try either Marlborough pool or Dorchester lake Monday. Those being two more new venues to me that I haven’t a clue how to fish!

Few pics of the swim and a few roach of all sizes from probably the biggest to probably one of the smallest. Should have got some perch pics really as was some nice ones.
1622304705011.jpeg

1622304732369.jpeg
1622304744759.jpeg
1622304757447.jpeg
1622304767336.jpeg
1622304776702.jpeg

1622304787717.jpeg
Some cracking looking Roach there made and at least you learnt a thing or 2 from today’s session too. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Some cracking looking Roach there made and at least you learnt a thing or 2 from today’s session too. 👍
Thanks mate yes some lovely roach indeed. Was a proper school day that’s for sure. Fished like an absolute goon for the first time in a while but certainly better for the experience. Biggest Stillwater venue I’ve ever fished by a long way and the deepest I’ve ever float fished so was certainly a learning curve!

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Read your write up but for a days fishing, I don't think I'd ever be disappointed with the fish pictured, especially trying new techniques at a new venue. You should be proud.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Read your write up but for a days fishing, I don't think I'd ever be disappointed with the fish pictured, especially trying new techniques at a new venue. You should be proud.
Definitely not disappointed with the fish quality wise that’s for sure! I just caught at best half as many as I should have given what was in front of me. Was certainly a lot different to fishing the rivers and commercials I’m used to so definitely taught me a lot for next time.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A nice report and plenty of good roach (y). The willow fluff is a right pain though, isn't it?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A nice report and plenty of good roach (y). The willow fluff is a right pain though, isn't it?
Thanks mate, I managed a few!

And flipping heck yes it was. I had it quite bad on a session on a smaller easier water a couple years ago but because it was smaller and easier you could still just about fish through it. But yesterday it absolutely carpeted the entire swim so clogged up everything to the point you literally couldn’t get the line through the rings so had no choice but to wait til it blew away. Suspect that lost time cost me about a dozen fish.