Tough days fishing after hard frost

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy but, when my dad asks if I fancy an hour or two’s fishing with him I always say yes. We spent today on the smaller of the three ponds at Trent ponds or Black bank as some of the locals like to call it. I knew it was going to be a tough day but, I didn’t realise how tough. I started on the pole dobbing various baits to no avail. Not a touch. I then cupped in a tiny amount of chop and dead red before dobbing again with a bomb but, again to no avail. This was going to be a gruel’er me is thinking. A quick look back over the chop with two dead reds on the hook resulted in a roach of 4oz. Then .... nothing. Pulling your hair out time. Time passed with no signs when my AS 0.4 pencil slid gently away. I was in. My first carp .... or was it ? A couple of minutes later and I’m sliding my net under a 2lb 2oz perch. Not bad to say we don’t have any perch in ? Where that came from is anyone’s guess. Another half hour passed before my second dip on the pole float. Another perch. This time a tiny one. Very strange. I’ve never heard of perch being caught from here. No more signs so had a quick throw around with a 1/8th oz bomb and maggot hoping to drop my bait in front of a carp. Not a carp but, another small roach. Typical rattle rattle bite you get. So, with no real method I decided to have the last hour on the pole sitting it out for one last bite. I dropped 3” on the deck and got comfy. No ryme or reason. Simply trying to ‘ bore ‘ one out. Fifteen minutes in and the float buries. I strike into thin air. Damn. Missed my chance. Bait unmarked. Told myself .... a liner is that Michael ?. Next put in and my float buries. I lift into a fish that’s already got a metre of elastic out. A little 2lb common saves the day. I bet Chefster sent that one over ? ??. Not long after my dad shouts over that he’s packing up. He’s had a couple of bites but no fish bless him. Still, it’s not deterred him and wants a ‘ re - match later in the week. ?

If you’re venturing out this week guys wrap up warm. The wind was bitterly today.

Attachments

• 8CEE3109-6912-4CA9-884F-E694E962AACE.jpeg
    8CEE3109-6912-4CA9-884F-E694E962AACE.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 69716DA9-E101-48EC-AD03-F92D31CF7D17.jpeg
    69716DA9-E101-48EC-AD03-F92D31CF7D17.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 12

AdamRussell93

It is to say we never stocked any. ??. I guess they come in as eggs on birds feathers legs etc. A very tough day mate. But ..... you can’t catch sat at home can you pal ? ?
Very true mate! I’ve had a couple of weeks off but I did take my kids to our local pond armed with a pint of casters and they were catching plenty which made me happy seeing them start how we all did!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Well done Mick for persevering and trying different methods to get a couple in the net. (y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Nice percy Mick :upthumb:
Couple of my mates struggled on the club ponds today. Only a few small roach & perch. Probably a bit of a shock to the system for the fish as it was really cold overnight.