Tottenham Managers, Was I, Am I wrong?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
When Pochettino was sacked and Mourinho appointed I was not happy. To me Pochettino had brought a breath of fresh air to Tottenham and was trying to play with a style, using many English and home grown players. Mourinho was a "buy your way to success" type manager not really fitting with the club's spendthrift attitude. Plus if he could not make a success of Man U with their financial resources what could he do at Tottenham.

Now, we are certain to finish ahead of Arsenal and have a shot at Europe. Both of those looked unlikely when Mourinho arrived. The unintended Covid break has helped in that both Kane and Son were able to recover from injuries. But was I wrong to distrust the board, distrust Mourinho and mourn the loss of Pochettino?

If I was then I will happily admit it.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it was a challenge for him to take on the Spurs job, knowing they are not a big spending club. I think he had a lot to prove, that he could be a great manager without breaking the bank. Only time will tell. Next season will be the real test, provided it goes through with a break in the middle !

emmaemma

Site Supporter
He has the biggest ego of any manager and is full of himself. There is always a reason things go wrong and it is never his fault. He may do ok for a season or two and then he will be gone. The brand of football he plays is dire. I don't like the guy and I hope spurs suffer the consequences....... :eek:

H T B

Site Supporter
First year neither Arsenal or Spurs have finished in top 5 for 25 years (although it was mostly Arsenal finishing that high) , but you are finishing above them this year.
Think you are scraping the barrel with boasting finishing above them this year.
Makes your rivalry sound like Heart and Hibs up North.
They know they have no chance of the league, but we still finished above our rivals.

Watch out all, next year ends in a 1.
We all know what that means 🤣🤣

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
First year neither Arsenal or Spurs have finished in top 5 for 25 years (although it was mostly Arsenal finishing that high) , but you are finishing above them this year.
Think you are scraping the barrel with boasting finishing above them this year.
Makes your rivalry sound like Heart and Hibs up North.
They know they have no chance of the league, but we still finished above our rivals.

Watch out all, next year ends in a 1.
We all know what that means 🤣🤣
As Spurs supporter I have learned to cling to whatever straw, whatever small crumb of comfort I can find.

JayBee

Site Supporter
As Spurs supporter I have learned to cling to whatever straw, whatever small crumb of comfort I can find.
Here's your straw and it's black and white!
1595524932606.png
And here are some crumbs
1595525052434.png I hope they offer some comfort.

david white

Site Supporter
Neil I don’t think your wrong far from it, BUT, blaming Mourinho is only half the battle Spurs are no longer the Spurs I paid to watch 40 odd years ago
they are THFC plc an out and put business ( as are many clubs in all fairness ) I’ve lost count of the number of transitional periods this club has been through in recent years
I’ve the greatest respect for your posts Neil but by citing ‘ at least we’re going to finish above Arsenal again ‘ kind of says it all
especially when you consider we’ve also finished below Chelsea Leicester and Wolves as well as the ‘ other ‘ top four wannabes
Hand on heart can any true Spurs supporter believe Spurs will spend strongly in the next transfer window AND retain the likes of Kane et al when the best on offer is the Europa league, it’s widely accepted that Kane is a world class striker that’s going to be scant reward to him in latter years with little silver ware to mark his career

squimp

Site Supporter
I wasn’t happy either with the M appointment. But for different reasons.

i don’t think his playing style fits with the ‘Tottenham’ way. He wants to shore things up at the back and play on the break.

our last match was a perfect example; We somehow scored 3 goals in the first half and then sat back And challenged the opposition to break down a packed defence.

if he hadn’t won the last 3 games none of us would be happy and the team hasn’t played scintillating football in any of those games.

maybe we have to accept that Europa league participation is all we can aspire to in future ?

Arsenal will be better next season; will we improve ??

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I doubt you will be wrong on this one Neil, you have just been swayed by the late honeymoon period, sparked by using the position compared to an average gooners side as a measure. It will end in tears either due to the style of football frustrations or lack of investment, may be a bit of both. Poch could have taken Spurs further had he been backed financially and with decent football to boot.

Keith Sparky

Mourinho is a proven winner.....even at his so called poor couple of years at Man United they won 2 trophies and finished 2nd in the league......if you want pretty pretty football and no trophies he is maybe not the man you want but dont kid yourselves that poch was or is in the same league

DFL

Site Supporter
Mourinho is a proven winner.....even at his so called poor couple of years at Man United they won 2 trophies and finished 2nd in the league......if you want pretty pretty football and no trophies he is maybe not the man you want but dont kid yourselves that poch was or is in the same league
are you a superbloo Keith?.............”Sparky” or maybe not and an electrician! As a Superbloo myself I’m naturally biased and agree with all that you have said. Poch looked like he was going to be one of the great managers but he must shoulder much of the blame for the team bottling it when in the cusp of a trophy. Different fans have different views, for me, get some trophies in the cabinet and then let the pretty football come. When Chelsea won titles and cups under the leadership of JM some of the football played was scintillating.

I still pinch myself when remembering the 2012 Champions league journey, coming from 3-1 down to beat Napoli, beating Barcelona over two legs and they beating Bayern in their own backyard with all the odds stacked against us. Managed by Robbie, DNA instilled by Jose.

Its remarkable that Jose did so well at Utd, he lost his right hand man who had been his number two for much of his career, to leave his family in London and live in a Manchester hotel was the worst thing he could have done.

Yes the hugest ego in football, he’s earnt it. He’s said and done some stupid things and is generally hated by all opposing fans...........so was Sir Alex.

True that he doesn’t stick around for long, Spurs fans should pray that they get at least one or two further seasons with the man, it will pay off.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Mauricio still sorely missed for me and all his staff.
There was great comradery amongst them like Nuno Espírito Santo at Wolves.
Alas, things must have turned sour with Levy but I hope he returns some time to manage us again in our smashing new stadium.
It's very hard watching Mourinho's style of play sometimes but the last few games the team have played well.
I'm hoping Kane will give us one more season and then he can go with our blessing.
We've been unlucky with injuries this season and hopefully we'll have better luck next season.
I'd love to see us win the Europa League or FA Cup next season.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
In this day and age, i don't think many managers will get the opportunity to build impressive CVs. Mourinho aside, whose CV is good and as measured by trophies, is only likely to be caught up by Klopp or Guardilola in a prem setting. Common denominator: investment at the clubs they have been at. No manager at Spurs or any club is ever likely to take them to that next level without it.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Judging purely by results then so far Jose has been successful. Fourth in the league based on results since the restart and a European qualification that looked difficult or unlikely to be achieved at the start of his tenure.

But I have to question myself about what I want as a Spurs supporter, style or results. Can I have both? Yesterday's game was a classic case. A very difficult game to watch with Spurs defending for lengthy periods after starting the match looking the dominant team as expected given the two teams' league positions. At one nil up I expected more goals, for Spurs. The team though sat back and allowed multiple attacks that eventually produced the inevitable equalising goal. If this is the way to win trophies I am at a crossroads.

I guess I will be happy if Spurs win a trophy on the next two years though possibly not happy with the manner in which such success may be achieved.

Time will tell.

DFL

Site Supporter
Don’t just question yourself about trophies or style Neal, look too how the style of football being played in the PL is changing. Clubs that have no right too, have achieved against all expectations, Sheffield Utd for example, they set you up in a disciplined and organised way that opposition find hard to break through, it can lead to some dour football. It’s needs true superstars like we see at the moment with the top two and even that as far as City is concerned is becoming more difficult.

As a Chelsea fan I have enjoyed the season immensely seeing our kids rise from the academy and doing so well, I started to think this could now become the way forward but in a very short amount of time it is not enough as Roman now looks for some big money players.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Don’t just question yourself about trophies or style Neal, look too how the style of football being played in the PL is changing. Clubs that have no right too, have achieved against all expectations, Sheffield Utd for example, they set you up in a disciplined and organised way that opposition find hard to break through, it can lead to some dour football. It’s needs true superstars like we see at the moment with the top two and even that as far as City is concerned is becoming more difficult.

As a Chelsea fan I have enjoyed the season immensely seeing our kids rise from the academy and doing so well, I started to think this could now become the way forward but in a very short amount of time it is not enough as Roman now looks for some big money players.
As a Sheff U fan DFL I would argue that we developed a way of playing that other clubs didn't seem to be able to work out how to defend against and with a more consistent strike force we would have been in a Europa League position,yes we have a good defence and the results were based on everyone playing their hearts out for the team,I'm not sorry we aren't in the Europa League,we don't have the depth of squad for it,yet,I hope !

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Aside from the obvious, i would have thought Lampard was up there for manager of the season, got on with it, got a few older doubtful could go either ways playing and merged in the younger players too, decent return 4th and a cup final too.