topmouth gudgeon

slaner

Site Supporter
My local club just posted this,
I have never heard of them before but have just googled it and it is a savage fish.

Crosshands Angling Club Bristol
3 hrs ·
To all members: This is clarification of what has been happening in the club regarding the Holiday Inn lake. Rumours have been travelling around and there is a lot of speculation.
Unfortunately, an invasive species of fish called a Topmouth gudgeon (TMG) has been introduced to the Holiday Inn lake. When this happened or how we do not know, but we feel possibly within the last 5 years.
TMG habits include eating the eggs produced by other fish thus stopping the breeding cycle. The eggs of the TMG itself can be moved from lake to lake by other wildlife but also landing nets, keep nets, unhooking mats and any other means where lake water may be standing, even in stink bags or the bottom of footwear.
The Environment Agency (EA) have been helping to test all our waters and they have confirmed that TMG is not present in any of our other lakes. Some of you have seen traps around the lakes and this was their way of catching any of these fish. The solution to this problem will be carried out by the EA and it means closing the Holiday Inn lake for approximately 3 to 4 months and during this period there will be no fishing at the lake.
The EA hope to start to treat the water to get the TMG eradication up and running in early January 2020. When the lake reopens will depend on the water temperature, which can affect the time it takes for the chemical to degrade, but hopefully this will be by mid-April, but also bear in mind the lake will need to be re-stocked.
As soon as we have confirmed start dates a notice will placed at the Holiday Inn saying lake closed, which may be from the beginning of December as some preparation work will be required, but until this time fishing may continue. Please be aware of keeping your kit clean to prevent the transfer any spores to other lakes you visit.
Given the implications and for this reason it needs to be said, but please do not be tempted to remove any fish from the lake. Firstly, such action would be contrary to our agreement with the Holiday Inn and secondly with the involvement of the EA it is a criminal offence to interfere in any way with the work being undertaken.
Phil Bond

brian carragher

Site Supporter
If you think they're a savage fish just you wait till you see what lengths the EA will go to to eradicate them, final solution is to klill every licing organism in the water, totally sterile and dead

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Gudgeon ? They look more like a little common to me. I hope this isnt a big panic like we had with Zander, and recently Sturgeon.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The top mouth has been in some waters for years if i remember right they are in 40 or 50 waters across the UK, some have come in with Koi deliveries and others have been bought from petshops etc by idiotic people who have fish tanks and then decide they don't want to keep fish anymore so instead of advertising them free and not having the heart to kill them they decide to do the "decent thing" and let them go so they can live in their "natural" environment...but it isn't!

They breed and their eggs are spread by waterbirds (sticks to their legs/feathers) and anglers who move from water to water without cleaning or drying their nets they then breed quickly again and the cycle starts all over.

Sadly as Brian says, the EA have resorted to total destruction of waters to get rid of them, they poison the water and every living thing is killed :(

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
not sure why that link wont open but google the topmouth gudgeon and look on the canalrivertrust

Because you haven't cut/copied the url from the address bar only from the google page :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick

No, these little sod's are for real.
Cheers Peter. I must admit that if I caught one I think Id think it was simply a small common carp. So, if one is caught what are we supposed to do with it ? Phone the EA ? Have you seen the map Peter ? It looks like there is a fishrry close to us that contain these fish. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Cheers Peter. I must admit that if I caught one I think Id think it was simply a small common carp. So, if one is caught what are we supposed to do with it ? Phone the EA ? Have you seen the map Peter ? It looks like there is a fishrry close to us that contain these fish. ?

I haven't Mick, which fishery?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I haven't Mick, which fishery?
Hi Peter, If you open your attachment on post #3 then scroll down to the two maps of England theres a red dot indicating where the EA have had a problem in 2004. Id say quite close to us somewhere. Have a look see where you think it is. ?