Sold Top match fishing tackle for sale due to illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I have had type 1 diabetes for over 40 years and always managed to cope while fishing and would suggest you reconsider and try to go with someone.
Although not cheap the Dexcom 6 continuous glucose monitoring system will give you warnings if your blood sugar levels get near hypo levels so you can take action before it’s a problem. Either that or the cheaper FreestyleLibre system which may be available free if your diabetes is that unstable that you can’t go fishing. Glucose gel is great for very low levels also available on prescription.
I would assume that if you are that bad you can’t fish safely you aren’t allowed to drive either.
If you would like to talk to someone or want advice PM me.

david white

Site Supporter
Hi Peter,
It makes me realise how lucky those of us in good health are, but can I just add my thoughts to those whom have asked you to take a step back and have a major rethink, there’s much well meant advice in the above and I’m sure there’s a workable solution out there, if I was more local I’d definitely chip in with some help
best wishes whatever your choice

drw

Site Supporter
Like Dave the fish I also am type 1 diabetic and totally agree with his advice, good luck !

F1hitman

Hi lads due to being diabetic for a few years now had a hypo while fishing advise of medical staff I have got to sell up. It hurts to do this but thinking of my health.

image.jpg
Hello Peter I am a type one Dieabetic and a match fishermen used to struggle with hypos in the summer while fishing I had a long conversation with my doctor and she gave me Libre sensors they stick to your arm last 2 weeks and you do your bm by scanning the sensor on your arm with the app on your phone take 2 seconds and tells you your bm and also if it’s going up or down so say it’s 5.2 and then will say falling fast so you can treat it be4 it turns into a hypo might be worth having a chat with your Gp hope this helps.

markyboy

I can only go along with comments above, I have had type 1 for 44yrs, am on a pump and use the freestyle libre sensors. It can be a pain but equally can be managed with a little effort. You can monitor your blood sugar with the libre sensors with an app on your phone, they can be scanned through multiple layers of clothing so even wrapped up in the recent cold snap they are useable. It's quite disappointing that your diabetes team has gone down the dont go fishing route rather than the this is how to manage it better route. Having lived with this condition for so long I am aware that there are days where your blood sugars are next to impossible to control but these are so rare as to be not a worry, also days like that are identified as soon as you wake so easy to stay home then rather than going fishing.
Do have another think about this and dont let diabetes control you. Good luck.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I had diabetes type 2, but I was very lucky, lost weight and now no longer have it. It's a shame that you can't do the same! It is only really when I read about fellow anglers that are in your situation that I realise how lucky I am-Good luck with the future!

markyboy

I had diabetes type 2, but I was very lucky, lost weight and now no longer have it. It's a shame that you can't do the same! It is only really when I read about fellow anglers that are in your situation that I realise how lucky I am-Good luck with the future!
Unfortunately Type 1 is irreversible, can only be controlled as the pancreas produces no insulin which is required by the body to function normally so has to be administered in a balanced way vs the amount of carbohydrate consumed.

MOGZ

dont sell your kit (not just yet anyway) - its fairly easy to spot your not wanting to do it by how you have typed

try and tag along with someone or if your in a club let the organiser know, he can then let those around know
fishings probably one of the greatest hobbies for others helping

Status
Not open for further replies.