Top man & comedian. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hats off to Bill Bailey. He’s backing the Canal and River Trust to clean up the towpaths. CRT reckons there’s a 70% increase in litter during the lockdown. Litter on our banks is my pet hate. There simply is no need for it. We fetch it we can take it away. End of.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I’ve noticed at increase in litter everywhere I run. I can’t wait for June the 21st, when people go back to being couch potatoes

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Our club has just acquired a decent section of canal. I haven't fished that way for around 30 years. The towpath has been reduced so much, that in some places, the angler is sitting on the concrete part of the path. They've gone too far with this stretch. Used to be wild & covered in rushes & reeds.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sheffield canal was full of litter the other week
I’ve had some good sessions on the Sheffield canal when I fished for Max Dolby’s Chapletown AC. Some nice big bream in there. Bigger than you’d think for a canal. Unless our Eastern European friends have eaten them all ? 😫

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Talking to a angler last year a few nets and lines been found on canal
2 anglers last year had a 22lb mirror carp while night fishing
where Tufnells used to be is supposed to be good for bream if they is still fish left

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hats off to Bill Bailey. He’s backing the Canal and River Trust to clean up the towpaths. CRT reckons there’s a 70% increase in litter during the lockdown. Litter on our banks is my pet hate. There simply is no need for it. We fetch it we can take it away. End of.
My pet hate as well, especially when you see the so called anglers carrying full packs of booze down to their peg but can't carry the empties away :mad:

I took a trip down to my local stretch of canal last week, stood on the bridge looking down at crystal clear water, never been able to see the bottom before but i could see it clearly, then i hear the noise, look up and there's a couple of women walking down the towpath with an assortment of kids, all dropping litter as they walk, crisp packets, pop cartons and the one dirty scutty bi..erm lady wiped her nose and dropped the tissue on the towpath ....but we all know who'll get the blame for the litter :mad::mad:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I was stopped on a motorway slipway for a while as a car was being recovered and the litter on both of the verges was incredible you could have filled a couple of skips let alone bin bags.
Sadly we have bred a nation of litter chucking morons who do not consider their actions as somebody picks it up for them
and even more sadly this is the only way to keep on top of it ....pay somebody to go around picking it all up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Remember most of this litter is sponsored and offers free advertising when dropped - Perhaps major companies could be made to have unbranded packaging on take away food and drinks or have to pay a tax that goes towards cleaning it up.
Agree but, you know what would happen don’t you ? The manufacturers would increase their prices to cover it. Me and you Rob that take our rubbish home with us would end up paying twice then. 😡.

Robwooly

Agree but, you know what would happen don’t you ? The manufacturers would increase their prices to cover it. Me and you Rob that take our rubbish home with us would end up paying twice then. 😡.
That's a good thing though, it's the only way to hit home the message is through the pocket. I'm fed up with my local stretch of river looking like it's sponsored by the fast food chain opposite

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
There was a petition running a while ago to get fastfood companys to print/write registrations of vehicles using the drive through on the cups/cartons.

Sadly it didn't reach the required amount to be discussed in parliament.