Top kIts - Different Lengths

CNSam

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

So now the wedding is out the way I've got a little more time to sort out my return to fishing.

I picked up an MAP TKS 225 a few weeks ago, nothing amazing but it came with a number of top kits, Power & Match (top 3's first section telescopic), a free margin pole, and a cupping kit. I've since acquired some more match kits, I now have a couple of questions, bearing in mind im hoping to do a mixture of fishing from local canals through to comms/club ponds.

Issue #1
Seemingly it would seem ALL of my top kits are COMPLETELY different lengths as they have been cut down for different size elastics. So my first question, what should I do here, cut top-1 (telescopic) down on all to a common size? I know some people remove this section completely, what are the benefits/cons to doing this?

Issue #2
In the additional top kits I purchased the individual elasticated the 2nd section(the section where the telescopic first section comes out with) - what would be the benefit of this, surely this increases potential breakages? Am i right in thinking, elasticate through the whole 3 sections (potentially foregoing the cut down section dependent on above answers)?

Issue #3
Given that it's a pole thats getting on a little now and no side pulla, i've opted to use Pulla Bungs in the Power Kits only, is there any need to extend this to any of the match-kits?

Thanks for any assistance guys!

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
1) I would take out all your number 1 sections so you pole tips are all the same length .
2) same as above and less likely to snap .
3) I see no harm / I use pulla bungs in my match kits ,there are videos on on you tube to explain better than me ?
Kayleigh smith has videos out about catching slivers and she uses a pulla bung if its good enough for her it's good enough for us mere mortals.

CNSam

Site Supporter
1) I would take out all your number 1 sections so you pole tips are all the same length .
2) same as above and less likely to snap .
3) I see no harm / I use pulla bungs in my match kits ,there are videos on on you tube to explain better than me ?
Kayleigh smith has videos out about catching slivers and she uses a pulla bung if its good enough for her it's good enough for us mere mortals.
Thanks for the response here - guessing that would open me up to re-bushing and switching to internals?

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
It would but ptfe bushes don't cost the earth ,internal are far better than the ones you have on ,they keep the elastic from sticking to the inside of your pole ,you will find nearly everyone uses them .

richox12

If you can remove the No1's or cut kits so that they are all the same length it will make things a lot easier when actually fishing and especially considering your cupping kit won't match differing length kits.

Nicky Dodds

Personally I wouldn't cut your No1's down just remove them and Bush the No2. This would probably mean in some cases you might need to use puller bungs or side pullers with light elastics or shortening the length of elastic in the 2+3 with an interim length of heavy mono. The reason I say dont cut the No1's is in the future you may find you need that little bit of extra length while fishing a deeper swim for silvers.

CNSam

Site Supporter
Thanks all, the number 1's are cut already, some of them only leaving 2-3" so seems daft to cut them further or cut others down to that, given that DIY isn't a strong point..

Happy to remove and bush, will take a wander to tackle shop and get sized up!

Philnun87

In terms of the puller bungs it depends on what elastic you would be using / fitting. If it is hollow or the likes (hydro or hybrid etc) or you are just fishing for small silvers on latex I would definitely use a puller bush otherwise if you get a good fish then you will be playing it with lots of poke sections on the air compensate for the stretch of the elastic