Top kit + 1 or 4M Whip for silvers.

SpeedyJD

Hi all.
I'm thinking of doing a few silver matches this year and the other day I fished a top kit + two with a number 6 elastic. I caught about 20lb of roach (80-100 fish I reckon). There was a lot of breaking the pole down. My mate come over with his top kit + 1 with a long lash which made swinging the fish easier and got me thinking.
Should I invest in a 4m whip or just set up a top kit + 1 and save my money. Carp don't count even if I hooked one so not worried about losing them.
What do you think?

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
That sounds like nice fishing, I think with regards to what you are asking it will come down to the individual, some really good anglers can fish a topkit plus 2 faster than I can fish a topkit +1, also how much control are you willing to give up and how hard are the fish to catch? I find a Topkit +1 better than 4m to hand in most scenarios especially on a stillwater

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Topkit and 1 - short line. Ship back and swing or net fish without breaking down with a roller placed correctly. Better presentation and more security if better fish are around?

SpeedyJD

Topkit and 1 - short line. Ship back and swing or net fish without breaking down with a roller placed correctly. Better presentation and more security if better fish are around?
I tried this while fishing top kit + 2, lost too many fish on the wriggle when trying to lift them so close in so to speak. Plus when I did need to break down my number 4 ended up in the gravel as my roller was too far back. My mates way setting the top kit + 1 was better as also I could put the number 3 under my arm pit whilst unhooking and putting another maggot on. Thank you anyway for the suggestion but wasn't efficient enough for me when speed is key.

rd350lc

Whips are cheap enough to own one and set it up ready , try both sometimes the presentation of the rig on a topkit works when a long line on a whip won't .
That sounds like cracking silver sport you have there

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Whip to hand will always be the fastest and part of the reason a whip is so slim is that you can get your fingers around it to unhook plus the action of a whip is softer to help with swinging fish and casting lighter floats.

stephanie

for silvers close you cant beat a whip i have a few set up in my holdall most are elasticated 3 meter through the top section 4 meter through top 2 all fished to hand elastics are solid 8s which give when needed and i have landed carp up to around 9lb on these too most of my rigs are done either shirt button style or with bulk under the float with only a few small droppers to keep bait falling with loosefeed

Kojak

Hi all.
I'm thinking of doing a few silver matches this year and the other day I fished a top kit + two with a number 6 elastic. I caught about 20lb of roach (80-100 fish I reckon). There was a lot of breaking the pole down. My mate come over with his top kit + 1 with a long lash which made swinging the fish easier and got me thinking.
Should I invest in a 4m whip or just set up a top kit + 1 and save my money. Carp don't count even if I hooked one so not worried about losing them.
What do you think?
A short waggler rod is brilliant for this, I use one of 11ft on the woodlands winter league and it out fishes the pole hands down (especially where Roach are concerned)with the added bonus of when you hook a carp you can quickly pull out of it as long as you’re using fine wire hooks.
The 11ft length means you can swing to hand easily (like a top kit) when it’s windy the long lash becomes difficult to control, I fish at between 9 and 16m usually.
Give it a try, once you get in a good routine you’ll be amazed at the speed you can catch?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I actually recommended a 6m +whip. Top 3 rest take apart. So if catching at 3m and they back off just add a section, and so forth.