Too hot or not??

J1O

Site Supporter
Morning All
I am doing my best to get in tune with where the fish maybe at any given time when doing my commie and canal fishing. But is there a time or temp when you all just say 'too hot, not worth it'? In the sense that the fish won't feed and you will blank. I really don't mind blanking on the canal as there are some lovely stretches of the Leeds Liverpool in Lancashire where I go, but I feel blanking on a commie (due to heat) might knock my confidence a bit as a i am still learning so to speak.

Silver fan 82

It's hot today but I've had good sessions on days like today regarding the weather. You won't catch them at home.
Suppose it also depends on how you personally deal with the heat?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
30 degrees is the cut off for me and in my experience the fish as well but anything under 30 I’ll go and I have had plenty of good days with temperatures in the high 20s. That’s not to say low to mid 20s isn’t better because generally it is but it has to get really quite hot before it’s not worth going for me. Obviously it’s depends on the water as well. Somewhere with plenty of fish and a bit of depth, colour and flow is going to be much better than a low density, shallow, clear, motionless water.

J1O

Site Supporter
Thanks all. The few guys i know say this week is too high pressure and temp so keep your bait cold for another day. But its days like today (high 20's and blue sky) that i want to fish and wanted to find out you folks think. So thank you, i am going to book a day off and go to Partridge :). Oh and i cant believe Neil of the Nene blanked - i have read your blogs ;)

Robwooly

It's never too hot to catch or too cold but it can be uncomfortable fishing, deep down we all know that the coolest place is under a tree somewhere right now yet many (including me) have decided it's too hot, the fish haven't that's for sure, mind you the jammy buggers are swimming around in nice cool water usually enjoying the sun.

MarkW

It's 29 at Bournemouth Airport and I'm out a bit later; too hot? I'll comment later. Too hot to cart the film gear but might run a camcorder just in case.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I cried off today, to hot for me, I would imagine the fish would of had a go if I found the right swim, somewhere with a bit of flow in the shade or a millpond or weir to have oxygenated the water, can't speak for commercial ponds, don't fish them. But for me fishing should be pleasurable, be it match or pleasure if you find the conditions not to your liking it ceases to be enjoyable so give it a miss put your feet up have a beer, do some prep get ready for the next adventure.

SUFC

I imagine that a river , or even a canal when towing is significantly lower temperature by a few degrees compared to a stillwater venue.

Total

Site Supporter
That was not because of the heat but because I was totally unprepared bait-wise. I have now learned that this particular lake responds better to maggot & caster than my usual corn & pellet approach.

P.S. Great memory.
Regarding 'Great memory'.....Always Jim!;):D

Nice swerve too!...Heat or lack of it is always endemic to our fishing and therefore bait choice at different times of the year.......As you well know, (or should)(y)(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I imagine that a river , or even a canal when towing is significantly lower temperature by a few degrees compared to a stillwater venue.
There’s not much in it, a degree to a couple degrees I’ve found, but importantly there’s more oxygen in flowing water.