Too cold for barbel?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I often hear a lot that winter is the best time to fish rivers for a variety of species, silvers as they shoal up, Barbel as they have some weight on for specimen anglers. To me, I doubt I will be on the Severn much until March as rivers being better in winter is a bit of a fallacy for me and match weights would confirm that for me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I often hear a lot that winter is the best time to fish rivers for a variety of species, silvers as they shoal up, Barbel as they have some weight on for specimen anglers. To me, I doubt I will be on the Severn much until March as rivers being better in winter is a bit of a fallacy for me and match weights would confirm that for me.
I agree. In my experience the first half of the season is much better than the second half and the match results and other peoples pleasure sessions would also suggest the same.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One good thing about winter is less people fishing I guess so you can always move peg to find the fish! That's if the levels are fishable.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Was a lovely day today, Autumn and Winter can be the prettiest times of the year i reckon. Feeding strategy easier too, start with nothing and go from there.

BoldBear

I agree that fishing in summer to late autumn is usually a more productive time for the larger catches of Barbel but this thread is called “Too cold for Barbel?” and the simple answer is definately ‘No’. the old adage that Barbel only feed above 4 or 5 degrees is not strictly true and if you adjust your tackle to suit the colder temperatures and watch out for steady or rising temperatures no matter how small (even when temps are still very cold) then you have a good chance of finding a few Barbel in your river that will still be feeding.

Keith

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Was a lovely day today, Autumn and Winter can be the prettiest times of the year i reckon. Feeding strategy easier too, start with nothing and go from there.

Is it me or have we had one of the most colourful Autumn's for a while this year, my brother in law reckons it's something to do with a warm spring.

I agree that fishing in summer to late autumn is usually a more productive time for the larger catches of Barbel but this thread is called “Too cold for Barbel?” and the simple answer is definately ‘No’. the old adage that Barbel only feed above 4 or 5 degrees is not strictly true and if you adjust your tackle to suit the colder temperatures and watch out for steady or rising temperatures no matter how small (even when temps are still very cold) then you have a good chance of finding a few Barbel in your river that will still be feeding.

Keith

My problem is I like easy fishing. Give me 50lb of small Barbel, yes please! Middle Severn is ideal for that in summer. In winter it would be a red letter day for me but I might expect one or two bigger fish. So now is about the time of year I think about starting to fish commercials.

BoldBear

In the depths of winter I usually set my stall out for catching Chub and decent sized Roach mainly but the occasional Barbel Is still to be expected which is why I daren’t go too light just incase, as Barbel are the icing on the cake for me.

Keith

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I think so Zerkalo, warm summer too, trouble is river goes from one extreme to another nowadays, rarely in the middle for any length.

mattnewark

The best day I have had on the Trent was when the Muskham gauge was showing 1.63. Basically it was belting through and and a milky colour.

Most pegs where I fish looked horrible and boiley, so I picked a deeper swim, not far out where the water looked smooth. I knew it was about 6 ft deep as I stood there in the summer. I ended up with 6 Barbel and lost a couple, all in a day session of about 7 hrs in December.

The water was quite mild though....no frost for a few days so I felt I was in with a shout. It's all about picking your days, picking your areas wisely and of course having a bit of confidence.

mattnewark

Also what is interesting with the above is that baits were exactly the same as the summer. I've rarely had to bother with using maggot for example. I'm still to catch a barbel using a maggot clip with a bunch of maggots on.

It's only "too cold" to catch Barbel if you go out after a sharp frost, after it's been mild, and you go fish in bright conditions when the river is clear....your chances are greatly reduced in my opinion.