Too cold for barbel?

AdamRussell93

So I’m having one last attempt this year at trying to catch my first river barbel, but am I too late? I’m new to barbel fishing so any tactics or tips would be a massive help.
I know they’re bigger this time of year but a lot harder to tempt into feeding. Thanks!

MKulicka

So I’m having one last attempt this year at trying to catch my first river barbel, but am I too late? I’m new to barbel fishing so any tactics or tips would be a massive help.
I know they’re bigger this time of year but a lot harder to tempt into feeding. Thanks!
Here is a nice article, including influence of water temperatures on barbel activity:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As good a Chance now as any really, ive had some right Barbel this time of year.

AdamRussell93

Here is a nice article, including influence of water temperatures on barbel activity:
Brilliant thanks mate, I’ll have a read through now

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't know about the Barbel but it was too cold for me today - never got out of the damp mist and the air temp must have been around 4oc

AdamRussell93

I don't know about the Barbel but it was too cold for me today - never got out of the damp mist and the air temp must have been around 4oc
That’s why I’ve decided to go Sunday instead of tomorrow when it’s forecast to be a tad milder.

AdamRussell93

Where ya thinking mate ?
It’ll be on the river don mate but I’m torn between 3 stretches.
1st option is where the don meets the Dearne and it’s slow and deep.
2 is sprotborough weir where the water is a steady pace but not so deep.
3rd is a day ticket stretch at hooton lodge that is known to produce to big fish, but it is pressured.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
It’ll be on the river don mate but I’m torn between 3 stretches.
1st option is where the don meets the Dearne and it’s slow and deep.
2 is sprotborough weir where the water is a steady pace but not so deep.
3rd is a day ticket stretch at hooton lodge that is known to produce to big fish, but it is pressured.
Ive only Had Barbel outta sprotbrough weir mate and i know the exact date it was 25th june so warm. The good thing about there is it holds a Varied assortment of fish so if yer fishing 2 rods one on a Barbel bait like Boilie or Pellet, the other Maggot or worm ya might still get a wrap. Good luck wherever ya end up pal.

squimp

Site Supporter
Me and my mates only really target barbel in the winter.

But we only fish when the conditions are right. That means a stable or rising water temperature of at least 43 degrees (I’m old!). Similar to the ‘northantslad’ Article. For example 43 degrees and falling is rubbish, but 43 on a rising curve and they will be active.

Then you just have to find them; they will be feeding.

when the Bristol Avon was still full of decent barbel we would catch fish in 20minutes in the right swim on the right day. It was actually easier fishing than in the summer.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Not fished Sprot weir for ages due to it being very popular. Don’t like North bridge area as once got motor broken into, I’ve walked a lot of the Don and found and fished a few off the beat places that have knocked up some barbel.

AdamRussell93

Not fished Sprot weir for ages due to it being very popular. Don’t like North bridge area as once got motor broken into, I’ve walked a lot of the Don and found and fished a few off the beat places that have knocked up some barbel.
Never actually fished the weir but a lot of my mates have and they say it’s always busy. I’m new to river fishing, literally been going on river for last 6-9 month so I’m still learning everything at the moment.