Tons of Dace from the Wye

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's not going to be for everyone. I'm picturing what it'd be like if I had this all the time and not as a freak occurrence as a pleasure venue, as slightly different in matches.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I doubt very much that on our local rivers, there exists any shoal of dace at any time of the year that would if you were lucky enough to catch them all, go anywhere near a 100lb of fish

years ago it might very well been different, but they seem to have been pushed out by chub in the sections that were reknowned as dace swims,, the same could be said of the roach too,

nowadays if you spot a shoal of dace you might see at a guess a 100 fish in that shoal, but catching them all would be near on impossible, most are riddled with large amounts of chublets too, with very few of the bigger silver darts present

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Must be a lot of rubbish anglers around if its easy as there's thousands of us about that make it look quite challenging at times!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Must be a lot of rubbish anglers around if its easy as there's thousands of us about that make it look quite challenging at times!
Bit like us on carp lakes then , you seem to think that’s too easy and boring 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Roach , dace, bleak etc are easier to catch than carp and F1,s

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Bit like us on carp lakes then , you seem to think that’s too easy and boring 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Roach , dace, bleak etc are easier to catch than carp and F1,s
I wouldn't say I find it boring it just doesn't fit with why I fish so it just doesn't interest me. I actually quite like fishing for carp just not in that way.

It's certainly not easy to catch carp on most places, think I've probably only fished a couple places where the carp are almost as easy to catch as the silvers and on those places it is undeniably easy but they are the exception rather than the norm. Whether roach and dace are considerably easier to catch than carp depends entirely on the venue but yes bleak are easier to catch than anything! On the sort of stillwaters I fish these days the silvers are much easier to catch than the carp as there's not many carp but on other places I've fished in the silvers are only marginally easier to catch than the carp and the carp in those places are certainly easier to catch than silvers on rivers tend to be.