Tom's River - The Hampshire Avon

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
wonderful video and wow the river looks amazing! will watch teh full video later but i wonder if anyone took over from him :(

Amazing how many eels! wonder if they still do this?

Last edited:

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I've never fished the Hampshire Avon but it's definitely on my wish list.
@MarkW Mark, cheers for your information. Where about it is this estate?
I'm sure it's top dollar to fish it, that's if they allow coarse fishing!

MarkW

The Longford Estate just below Britford down to Downton. The late John Searl had a double ticket in the days when it was £500 a day and took me fishing on there about 6 times. I think it's now about £1000

Rick123

Site Supporter
There are cheaper beats of you don't want trout and fish in winter. Many streams like that (Kennet for example) have modest winter tickets for grayling and coarse fishing. Lots of videos of John Wilson fishing and catching some nice grayling and some big roach and dace in the day. I ve only had one day on a high exchange beat and it was amazing, easy, but amazing. Too many sadly are stocked with trout too big to sustain their body weights, most are taken early in the season.

PeteC

Our club fished at Downton as a special treat once a year...couple of the senior guys knew Mike Trowbridge...nice guy. You had to know what you were doing there to catch...had some lovely chub one year from below the weir....one of our guys had two double figure carp one year and another had a couple of huge bream. Sadly the river roach fishing was poor when I fished it.....probably in the mid 80's.

MarkW

The Longford Estate just below Britford down to Downton. The late John Searl had a double ticket in the days when it was £500 a day and took me fishing on there about 6 times. I think it's now about £1000
Not a day, a SEASON....

squimp

Site Supporter
Not a day, a SEASON....
A mate of mine was quoted roughly that a couple of years ago. We live too far away otherwise we would have tried to join.

My understanding is that it is predominantly a game fishery these days -the coarse fish don’t get fished for......

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
loved the whole video, would happily pay £1k a year to fish there

Loved all teh wildlife and the whole eco system