Tomorrow

LilAl

Trogg mk2 ;)
Site Supporter
So from tomorrow things start getting back to "normal".

Markets, car showrooms etc will be allowed to reopen and of course the younger children will be allowed back to school.

Those of you on my friends list will know i have an aunt and a few friends who are teachers (sooooo much fun winding them up about their paid holidays ;) ), they are all saying the same kind of thing and i fully agree with them.

My own thoughts are the government seem to think it is going to be so simple to keep young kids that haven't seen their friends for weeks from hugging each other, playing together and keeping the "social distance", parents go mad if their kid comes home with nits, blaming the teachers for not spotting the thinsg in kids hair... can you imagine the reaction if they find out they have a child who's brought CV home from school and now they all have to go into isolation!

We see in the news all the time about massive class sizes, "30 kids in a class", not sure about the school you went to but at my old high school the class rooms would be full to bursting if they had to have 30 kids, so how are they going to acheive the "social distancing" the government insist on, even if it's cut down from 2 to just 1 meter.

I may be a conspiracy theorist seeing something that isn't there but it's amazing how just before we have the children going back the government have decided that groups of 6 people, mixing with another person not from your household, reopening markets etc all happens within a few days of the schools having to reopen.

We have older children facing exams that will affect their entire future, but they aren't going back yet it's the younger kids, the ones who can't look after themselves if mum and dad go back to work, to earn money, to pay taxes and NI!
Of course it could also just be a way to get the "herd immunity" brought in without actually revealing that's the idea, simple way of looking at it?, conspiracy theorist mind working overtime?, paranoia?...it could be, i don't know but it's my way of looking at it.

Just wondering how other MDers see it, or am i the only one who sees it in such a way?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Herd immunity - the NHS are in a better place to deal with it. There's expansion available in the Nightingale hospitals if needed, and the little 'uns have so far proven to not be affected by CV in most cases should they catch it.

The problem I see where schools are concerned is they've known that kids have to go back at some point, they've known that the virus isn't going to disappear overnight, in fact more than likely it will be with us for a very long time, and yet most schools have sat on their butts waiting to be told before putting anything or plans in place. Take industry and businesses as an opposite example, they've been working on scenarios and planning since the lockdown first started in readiness.

Then there is the media scaremongering aimed at parents and teachers plus a dab of politics and union intervention.
Schools are part and parcel of the backbone of this country and need to use a bit of backbone to lead the way and set an example

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I do think it’s a bit pointless for all kids to go back to school now can’t help but think it was worth leaving it longer. I think it should only be the age groups that can’t stay at home whilst the parents go back to work.

On the new meeting up arrangements I think it’s the right call if you assumed everyone had a brain but there’s enough helmets about that I’d have personally left it another couple weeks like the shops to get all mays figures back. Just to make sure we know what the first easing has done first. But I guess the government know what they are doing at least to a greater extent than us so we just have to trust them to do the right thing.

I might meet a couple mates for an hour or two now and again but other than that it won’t change what I do. Whilst I’m still furloughed I’ll still hide away at the weekends and go fishing and walking in the week as obviously each week is getting quieter and each weekend busier as more people gradually return to work.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter

Markets, car showrooms etc will be allowed to reopen and of course the younger children will be allowed back to school.

Those of you on my friends list will know i have an aunt and a few friends who are teachers (sooooo much fun winding them up about their paid holidays ;) ), they are all saying the same kind of thing and i fully agree with them.

My own thoughts are the government seem to think it is going to be so simple to keep young kids that haven't seen their friends for weeks from hugging each other, playing together and keeping the "social distance", parents go mad if their kid comes home with nits, blaming the teachers for not spotting the thinsg in kids hair... can you imagine the reaction if they find out they have a child who's brought CV home from school and now they all have to go into isolation!

We see in the news all the time about massive class sizes, "30 kids in a class", not sure about the school you went to but at my old high school the class rooms would be full to bursting if they had to have 30 kids, so how are they going to acheive the "social distancing" the government insist on, even if it's cut down from 2 to just 1 meter.

I may be a conspiracy theorist seeing something that isn't there but it's amazing how just before we have the children going back the government have decided that groups of 6 people, mixing with another person not from your household, reopening markets etc all happens within a few days of the schools having to reopen.

We have older children facing exams that will affect their entire future, but they aren't going back yet it's the younger kids, the ones who can't look after themselves if mum and dad go back to work, to earn money, to pay taxes and NI!
Of course it could also just be a way to get the "herd immunity" brought in without actually revealing that's the idea, simple way of looking at it?, conspiracy theorist mind working overtime?, paranoia?...it could be, i don't know but it's my way of looking at it.

Just wondering how other MDers see it, or am i the only one who sees it in such a way?
I don’t think the government are expecting little kids to distance it’s just that they are least affected by the virus. The school our grandkids go to are having the class split into two so fifteen in the morning and fifteen in the afternoon. They are then splitting the fifteen down into three groups of five who work together and play together all the time to avoid the whole class getting ill.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
The One thing I dont get, is this "Immunity"

this seems to be the thing being pushed, as to if you caught it once, you wont get it again

well, we have had various covid style virus's for many years, and asa species, we definately aint developed an immunity to any of them, the common cold being an example

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Looking at the advice and stats given there's every likelihood someone in a class will pick up the virus at some point and pass it around.
However there's also every likelihood the children won't even know they've got it, maybe a bit of a cough or slight temperature, but isn't that normal with kids anyway?

The teachers are the ones that need to be on their guards - anyone with underlying health conditions should be safeguarded and kept at home, or separate to the children, and SOP's need to be put in place for maintaining hygiene at all times to reduce the risk of spread.

Any child showing symptoms should not be sent into school - that's the parents' responsibility, not that of the teachers to send them home. The parents need to check their children each day before they go to school.

And if a child has come into contact with the virus and shows symptoms then the parents and family need to self isolate for 14 days.

Putting it into perspective, assume for argument's sake we've had 40K deaths, and the death rate per 100 infections is 1.5%, 2.66million people in this country have contracted the virus already, many of whom will not know about it or not suspected it, had it confirmed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The common cold virus is an anomaly, it mutates at a constant rate but does not prove to be a greater risk to life when it does. That's why it has not been possible to produce antibodies against it. Some people just end up with more resilience than others

62tucker

Site Supporter
Seeing the kids around the park around here they be better off at school where they might do as they are told
And passed a street bingo on Friday night and all the kids were playing together on the green. My mind boggles.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
so do you reckon your more resilient then ?

after you were blase in the first place and carried on working when others went into isolation, and then you caught the lurgy, and required treatment

do you think you may not ever catch it again, or do you think if you do in your weakened state it wont affect you that much more because you been through it once

influenza can be caught loadsa times, though in my long life Im pretty sure I have never had a proper dose of that,

Last edited:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter

I’m not a person who believes everything the government tells us, far from it. In this instance though they have had a lot of scientific advice and I think the scientists know what they are doing.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Like mick I have never had a flu type illness in my life. Lucky I guess. Until I got something at Xmas time and was ill for weeks. Chest X-rays. Is that normal for flu. ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Must confess when this all kicked off I did think that only 10-20% of the population were truly thick although from what I’ve seen over the last couples weeks when we’ve been allowed out again I think its more like double that. Tbf you don’t get many that break the 2M rule but you get absolutely loads that push it to the limit when they have room to give way more space and a lot of people are not remotely as cautious about touching stuff as they should be.

Dont get me wrong the majority do play ball but it’s probably only 2/3 of people rather than the maybe 4/5 I expected. I don’t see how people can be so thick not to realise the more you follow the rules the less time the rules will have to exist and they only exist to protect people. Plus most the rules since they’ve been slackened hardly put you out. Most are no more than a minor inconvenience seeing as we are basically allowed to do what we want now provided we distance which isn’t exactly hard is it!

62tucker

Site Supporter
Footballers are allowed to train together shortly
Seems The Workers Who belong to militant union Are the ones not wanting to go back to work. 🤔.
And of course they still need there 6/7 weeks holiday at end of July. Wish my 2 daughters had a choice to go to work at the beginning of this pandemic when we knew nowt about it. Thrown in a deep end. At least teachers know the risks and will have all ppe needed

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
so do you reckon your more resilient then ?

after you were blase in the first place and carried on working when others went into isolation, and then you caught the lurgy, and required treatment

do you think you may not ever catch it again, or do you think if you do in your weakened state it wont afect you that much more because you been through it once

influenza can be caught loadsa times, though in my long life Im pretty sure I have never had a proper dose of that,

I haven't a clue if I'll catch it again or not Mick, the science says not in it's present guise however there are already claims that variations of the virus have been found in people, whether it is the same but mutated or just something similar is yet to be known.

Hopefully that's it, I've had it, still suffering from the knock-on from it, but presently shielded on doc's orders.

Que sera sera

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The summer school holiday should be abandoned or at least used to bring the kids who have not been to school the chance to go in and catch up on their schooling.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
At this moment in time

Im taking it that every other person on this planet, regardless, is a threat to my continued existance,

already suffering from the effects of COPD because of my pig ignorance in the past as to the long term smoking and exposure to toxic and latent dusts at work, getting this lurgy would more than likely either hit bloody hard or cause me to turn my toes up and meet my gods

the government can tell who they want, at any time that its getting safer, but I for one any taking any undue risks,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's precisely it Mick, it's up to each and everyone to take some responsibility for themselves and others and stay tuned to the 'plan'

You know your body better than anyone else, and you know the risks involved that could have an affect on your wellbeing.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The summer school holiday should be abandoned or at least used to bring the kids who have not been to school the chance to go in and catch up on their schooling.
Union leader been on and said teachers need the holiday as they been working harder than ever when they been off 🤷‍♂️

62tucker

Site Supporter
I haven't a clue if I'll catch it again or not Mick, the science says not in it's present guise however there are already claims that variations of the virus have been found in people, whether it is the same but mutated or just something similar is yet to be known.

Hopefully that's it, I've had it, still suffering from the knock-on from it, but presently shielded on doc's orders.

Que sera sera
You should be a priority to get the antibody rest in my eyes