Tommy Pickering-You heard it here first !!!!

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Very shrewd.
They had a meeting on camera (Catch More) a week ago and he finished off his open facebook pages "Fjuka Bait".
Elementary my dear Watson :rolleyes:

fishcatcher4

Saw his post yesterday on facebook the pole he chose to buy was the acolyte.

Apparently it was between that and the garbo 1.

90sGear

Site Supporter
Great angler etc but it's all a bit desperate at the mo, perhaps a sad reflection of the cost of top flight match fishing Vs his own personal circumstance. Even with the pole I'm sure there is a favour/back hander involved as he buys from Lindholme the brand they are tied into heavily, the Garbo pole being stock left from their last main sponsor.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tommy is a brilliant guy as well as a fantastic angler and from what I've heard he didn't deserve to be treat the way he was by Maver.

As regards his new pole it's totally irrelevant what deal or favours he might have received, more likely than not Neil or Aaron would have discounted it heavily to help a friend out, there's not many people who can afford to go out and replace all their tackle in one hit at retail prices, and knowing the Granthams very well, they do look after their friends, but that's none of our business.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Heard bad things about these Fjuka baits though?

They aren’t much cop on the Thames that’s for sure. Zilch on the yellow and white ones and only chublet on the red ones which is hardly a difficult fish to tempt. I wonder if the white ones may work with liquidised bread but might as well just use punch. Weird little things they feel more like sweets than bait.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Tommy is a brilliant guy as well as a fantastic angler and from what I've heard he didn't deserve to be treat the way he was by Maver.

As regards his new pole it's totally irrelevant what deal or favours he might have received, more likely than not Neil or Aaron would have discounted it heavily to help a friend out, there's not many people who can afford to go out and replace all their tackle in one hit at retail prices, and knowing the Granthams very well, they do look after their friends, but that's none of our business.
Tommy and Denis were the only anglers from the Barnsley Blacks that helped out with the Barnsley junior side when I was there. Leaving Maver will have hurt Tommy. He doesn’t like to fall out with anyone. A really nice genuine guy. Maver’s loss.

rd350lc

They aren’t much cop on the Thames that’s for sure. Zilch on the yellow and white ones and only chublet on the red ones which is hardly a difficult fish to tempt. I wonder if the white ones may work with liquidised bread but might as well just use punch. Weird little things they feel more like sweets than bait.
And you can see what sweets did for Jamie H and Andy M, I honestly thought carp would be suckers for sweets .
Used to catch on marshmallows ok .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
And you can see what sweets did for Jamie H and Andy M, I honestly thought carp would be suckers for sweets .
Used to catch on marshmallows ok .

Tbf I’ve caught carp on wine gums on chock full commercials and I’m sure these pellets would work on them as well but I’m not sure that’s a great measure of a successful bait as I’ve also caught on a bare hook on such venues lol

DaveGas

Only met him once while having a look at a venue I was fishing a match on at the weekend, he was with a chap so I stood well back and watched then Tom turned around and asked me to come over and stand with them, I did ask the guy if it was ok as he was paying good money for a one to one lesson, I have to say that Tom was brilliant and very informative but I didn't outstay my welcome and left them to it, got to say he was a top bloke for the short time I had with him.

smiffy

Site Supporter
He seems to have been around for ever. Top angler and good luck to him. He said it but it’s my angling philosophy too, “90% of fishing success is feeding” Didn’t him and Denis White tie for a match in Ireland once with weights over 100lb or did I dream it?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Only meet Tom twice one of those was on National where I drew next to him on a National and when my pole broke he offered me his spare don't need it as I had two poles with me but it shows what a nice bloke he is.
ha - he was only trying to get you disqualified for leaving your peg! ;)

seriously - always been a gent when I've met him.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Tommy Pickering is so clear when he explains things and why he is doing them...heard him talk at shows and really enjoyed what he said..seems very warm.
On another note, I was watching a recent Cadence video (Lancaster Canal on Bream) that was made earlier this year wth James Robbins and Alan Barnes..in between fishing they were chatting away and Alan Barnes said that one of his jobs during lockdown (he's in publishing I think) was to proofread 15 chapters of a new book by Tommy Pickering.... wonder what it will be exactly?

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Aha! His autobiography? That'll be a cracking read..cheers mate..shall have to follow Tommy on fbk

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I met him once on a fisho qualifier at woodland view, was walking round with Clive Wright, over came Tom chatting, thoroughly nice bloke, I was a bit in awe of him but he was great.