Todays protest - why.......

Philocalist

Thats great but why get together with thousands of others who dont want to wear a mask for a protest on something you dont have to wear???
Agree completely Rudd, just very uneasy / unconvinced / confused by most of what we are being fed on a daily basis.

Philocalist

Did your Dr say where the 'official' advice came from? Was it from Government, the NHS, the Unions, or from a legal adviser? I know from speaking to a few healthcare professionals that, like in any profession, they are advised to 'cover their rear' when offering 'advice', especially in this litigation prone society. All medical professionals are very wary of a call from PALS. The receptionist/supervisor should have received the relevant guide lines and be best to advise on them.
Any establishment that is open to the public, can lay down rules that allow or deny entry, if all stores 'sang from the same hymn sheet', then there would be less confusion. I understand that some people struggle to wear a mask for medical/mental reasons. I have been diagnosed with COPD, and struggle to wear one. COPD in itself is not covered by any exemption, so I wear a mask if going into an enclosed place, and leave the premises if I start to suffer. I don't wear it for personal protection, but to reduce the chance of spreading it should I have caught it, without realising, from some selfish barsteward that thinks it's not 'macho' to wear one, it impinges on their personal freedoms, or it's all a hoax/conspiracy started by some reptilian invader from planet Zog.
I nearly lost it yesterday while out shopping, with the number of people, some of which I know, not wearing masks, and crowding people, coughing and spluttering, and generally being a dick.

I will admit to being even more incensed, by the sight of 5 Santa Claus figures lined up on a store shelf. It not yet September FFS! :mad::mad:

John.
They didn't specify, and I didn't ask, John, the simple logic being that if GP's were being advised, and acting on that advice, it presumably came from an official, trusted source, no? Masses of supporting evidence and advice to wear masks, yet also masses of compelling, fully supported advice to explain why we should not - and there is currently no legal compulsion to do so in most cases - its advisory rather than being compulsory. My point being, there is so much information out there, all apparently 'correct' (yet conflicting), all backed up by apparently water-tight research etc (yet much of it changes daily) - how do you make an intelligent, considered decision what to believe or do, in the best interests of you, your family, and others (assuming that they are not mutually destructive)?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have yet to see any compelling or supported evidence that explains why we should not.
I'd like to see it.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Tomorrow there is an Anti Police Brutality march going through Knotting Hill in support or Floyd George..... that should be interesting especially as the police have advised against it.
They won't be marching in support of Terry Nelson of Kenosha, the town where Jacob Blake - the criminal wanted on a warrant who fought a policeman trying to arrest him - was shot. BLM supporters smashed their way into Nelson's bar and stole all of the alcohol before setting off fire extinguishers and wrecking the place. Nelson was quoted as saying, "in the past week I've seen my city burnt to the ground by people who don't live here.
Source is to-day's Sunday Times.
Like I said several weeks ago these aren't protests, they're people rioting and looting and the majority of people doing it are blacks who are driving people to vote for Trump.

jods

Site Supporter
Not hard to wear a mask! Got myself some Adidas ones i look cool. :)

JayD

They didn't specify, and I didn't ask, John, the simple logic being that if GP's were being advised, and acting on that advice, it presumably came from an official, trusted source, no? Masses of supporting evidence and advice to wear masks, yet also masses of compelling, fully supported advice to explain why we should not - and there is currently no legal compulsion to do so in most cases - its advisory rather than being compulsory. My point being, there is so much information out there, all apparently 'correct' (yet conflicting), all backed up by apparently water-tight research etc (yet much of it changes daily) - how do you make an intelligent, considered decision what to believe or do, in the best interests of you, your family, and others (assuming that they are not mutually destructive)?

From past experience, I would be more inclined to think that the advice your GP has been given was to prevent any chance of litigation if someone wearing a mask caught the virus.

I haven't seen any compelling, fully supported advice proving that we should not wear a mask. I have seen, and common sense tells me, advice telling me that wearing one will help. I have explained my condition, my wife is on permanent heart medication, and I have a 5 years old grandson, (my best mate), who was diagnosed with Noonans syndrome at birth, and is also in the 'at risk' category, so we all try to minimise that risk, while still having a kind of life. I get a bit peed off when I see the state of my daughter and her colleagues faces, who all have to wear a mask for a 10 hour shift. They have to put it on as they leave the hospital car park, or they're in trouble. Then I hear some clown moaning because they have to wear one for a short time in a store.
There is legislation governing the wearing of face coverings, up dated on the 27th,
)
I don't agree with the not needing any proof of exemption, but as I said in my earlier post, if the stores all used the same rules, then customers would know wear they stood. It would obviously be much better coming from the Government, but they could unite to protect both their staff, and their mutual responsible customers. Just a simple notice explaining the conditions of entry would suffice, and force those that have a genuine exemption to get a card explaining why.

I've been critical of some of the Governments statements and advice, but I do acknowledge that the situation surrounding Covid has been fluid, and the situation can change in line with new discoveries.
I'm a great believer in using common sense, while being guided by professional advice, and not being blinded by bias like some who criticise just to try gain some political points.

John.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It should be made law that if for what ever reason a person cannot wear a mask then they should wear a face shield, no exceptions, backed up by on the spot fines.
That will sort the fakers and objectors out and I reckon they'll suddenly rethink their approach to wearing masks. 😷

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gerrin there.....

Jeremy Corbyn’s brother has been fined £10,000 for breaking newly introduced coronavirus laws.

Piers Corbyn was arrested at an anti-lockdown protest in Trafalgar Square on Saturday where he appeared on stage alongside conspiracy theorist David Icke and X-Factor loser Chico in front of a crowd that numbered in the thousands.

Protesters displayed anti-mask and anti-vaccination placards and attendees and speakers described Covid-19, which has killed more than 40,000 in the UK alone, as a “hoax”.

Under new changes to regulations, those attending a gathering of more than 30 people may be committing a criminal offence.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Gerrin there.....

Jeremy Corbyn’s brother has been fined £10,000 for breaking newly introduced coronavirus laws.

Piers Corbyn was arrested at an anti-lockdown protest in Trafalgar Square on Saturday where he appeared on stage alongside conspiracy theorist David Icke and X-Factor loser Chico in front of a crowd that numbered in the thousands.

Protesters displayed anti-mask and anti-vaccination placards and attendees and speakers described Covid-19, which has killed more than 40,000 in the UK alone, as a “hoax”.

Under new changes to regulations, those attending a gathering of more than 30 people may be committing a criminal offence.

I wouldn’t have thought it possible for someone to be an even bigger plonker than Jeremy but it seems Piers fits the profile!

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t have thought it possible for someone to be an even bigger plonker than Jeremy but it seems Piers fits the profile!

They should all be fined.

Wonder if David Icke got fined as well,sorry if i am upsetting some of his followers on here:LOL:.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They should all be fined.

Wonder if David Icke got fined as well,sorry if i am upsetting some of his followers on here:LOL:.

I read somewhere that a few DJs at the raves that having been going on have had the fine and their equipment taken, you would hope that would put others off properly hits them where it hurts!

Philocalist

From past experience, I would be more inclined to think that the advice your GP has been given was to prevent any chance of litigation if someone wearing a mask caught the virus.

I haven't seen any compelling, fully supported advice proving that we should not wear a mask. I have seen, and common sense tells me, advice telling me that wearing one will help. I have explained my condition, my wife is on permanent heart medication, and I have a 5 years old grandson, (my best mate), who was diagnosed with Noonans syndrome at birth, and is also in the 'at risk' category, so we all try to minimise that risk, while still having a kind of life. I get a bit peed off when I see the state of my daughter and her colleagues faces, who all have to wear a mask for a 10 hour shift. They have to put it on as they leave the hospital car park, or they're in trouble. Then I hear some clown moaning because they have to wear one for a short time in a store.
There is legislation governing the wearing of face coverings, up dated on the 27th,
)
I don't agree with the not needing any proof of exemption, but as I said in my earlier post, if the stores all used the same rules, then customers would know wear they stood. It would obviously be much better coming from the Government, but they could unite to protect both their staff, and their mutual responsible customers. Just a simple notice explaining the conditions of entry would suffice, and force those that have a genuine exemption to get a card explaining why.

I've been critical of some of the Governments statements and advice, but I do acknowledge that the situation surrounding Covid has been fluid, and the situation can change in line with new discoveries.
I'm a great believer in using common sense, while being guided by professional advice, and not being blinded by bias like some who criticise just to try gain some political points.

John.
I agree with much of what you have said John. In a similar position, within the household there are young children with asthma-related issues, a 92 year-old, in-house grandfather, and me with my own problems. I've got to think about all of these people, constantly, from every COVID-related angle imaginable - the most pressing issue currently being the return of the lads to school this week.
I've yet to see any evidence whatsoever that the COVID19 virus is categorically NOT carried by children (regardless of whether or not it may affect them directly), yet millions of kids are heading back to school this week, to mix with millions of their classmates, and consequently carry home anything, and everything, they pick up from everyone else.
Every parent of (particularly) young children knows as an absolute fact that illnesses are rife after the return to school from a break of any length as children pass between them whatever the current lurgy happens to be, I and I see no reason whatsoever to believe that COVID19 will not be carried in this way too, straight back to families who will have adults, vulnerable or otherwise, sat about as prime targets. I've seen nothing at all issued as a statement, other than speculation.
We (and the schools) are being advised that any pupil showing ANY symptoms that MAY be COVID-related are removed from the school into self-isolation for (I think) 14 days. I wonder how long it will take kids to realise that a single day with a 'new cough' equates to 2 weeks off school, repeat ad infinitum? The onset of what is probably nothing more than a common cold? 2 weeks away from school - unless you have siblings who also succumb during that period. Hell, I know families who have one or more kids constantly ill during the winter months as stuff gets passed around - the current advisories are nothing short of a debacle.
To listen to Governments (worldwide, not just in the UK), there still appears to be Sod-all known about the COVID 19 virus, that holds water and can be held up as an incontrivertible fact - not transmition methods, incubation periods - nothing, despite all of the research that has apparently been ongoing for what - 9 months now?
'Advice' changes every 5 minutes and seems to be based mostly upon whims, speculation, opinion, and which way the wind is blowing today - it's certainly not based on anything like logic, common-sense, or God-forbid, actual science - yet we are supposed to follow the latest directive blindly, or suffer whatever the consequences may be.
IF masks are the way forwards, there should be a clear, precise and enforcable directive, not ministers prattling on, and it being voluntary, at best. Likewise, if you are exempt for whatever genuine reason, there should be a way to make that obvious.
Personally, the comment about wearing a visor instead of a mask would work very well for me, as long as it could be shown to be safe (or why bother?) - the alternative - a mask of any type - causes me problems that have nothing to do with nuisance-value.
Grab a piece of cloth, fold it several times then wet it with warm water - clamp it across your mouth and nose, and try to do anything normal that involves even something as mundane as walking - after less than 5 minutes you are pouring with sweat, as you are having to conciously, forcably suck in air - a few minutes after that, you've got one eye looking for soimewhere to sit down quick, before you fall down. A life-saving 'need' is one thing, totally different from the stupidity that we currently have with respect for this need to wear masks, or not.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To listen to Governments (worldwide, not just in the UK), there still appears to be Sod-all known about the COVID 19 virus, that holds water and can be held up as an incontrivertible fact - not transmition methods, incubation periods - nothing, despite all of the research that has apparently been ongoing for what - 9 months now?

The governments don't know enough about it to be concise

JayD

I agree with much of what you have said John. In a similar position, within the household there are young children with asthma-related issues, a 92 year-old, in-house grandfather, and me with my own problems. I've got to think about all of these people, constantly, from every COVID-related angle imaginable - the most pressing issue currently being the return of the lads to school this week.
I've yet to see any evidence whatsoever that the COVID19 virus is categorically NOT carried by children (regardless of whether or not it may affect them directly), yet millions of kids are heading back to school this week, to mix with millions of their classmates, and consequently carry home anything, and everything, they pick up from everyone else.
Every parent of (particularly) young children knows as an absolute fact that illnesses are rife after the return to school from a break of any length as children pass between them whatever the current lurgy happens to be, I and I see no reason whatsoever to believe that COVID19 will not be carried in this way too, straight back to families who will have adults, vulnerable or otherwise, sat about as prime targets. I've seen nothing at all issued as a statement, other than speculation.
We (and the schools) are being advised that any pupil showing ANY symptoms that MAY be COVID-related are removed from the school into self-isolation for (I think) 14 days. I wonder how long it will take kids to realise that a single day with a 'new cough' equates to 2 weeks off school, repeat ad infinitum? The onset of what is probably nothing more than a common cold? 2 weeks away from school - unless you have siblings who also succumb during that period. Hell, I know families who have one or more kids constantly ill during the winter months as stuff gets passed around - the current advisories are nothing short of a debacle.
'Advice' changes every 5 minutes and seems to be based mostly upon whims, speculation, opinion, and which way the wind is blowing today - it's certainly not based on anything like logic, common-sense, or God-forbid, actual science - yet we are supposed to follow the latest directive blindly, or suffer whatever the consequences may be.
IF masks are the way forwards, there should be a clear, precise and enforcable directive, not ministers prattling on, and it being voluntary, at best. Likewise, if you are exempt for whatever genuine reason, there should be a way to make that obvious.
Personally, the comment about wearing a visor instead of a mask would work very well for me, as long as it could be shown to be safe (or why bother?) - the alternative - a mask of any type - causes me problems that have nothing to do with nuisance-value.
Grab a piece of cloth, fold it several times then wet it with warm water - clamp it across your mouth and nose, and try to do anything normal that involves even something as mundane as walking - after less than 5 minutes you are pouring with sweat, as you are having to conciously, forcably suck in air - a few minutes after that, you've got one eye looking for soimewhere to sit down quick, before you fall down. A life-saving 'need' is one thing, totally different from the stupidity that we currently have with respect for this need to wear masks, or not.

A lot boils down to using that all too rare commodity common sense, with a bit of thought for others thrown into the mix.
I've accepted that there is no way, that anyone can be 100% certain that they won't catch it, not without locking themselves away in isolation for a very long time. All any of use can do, is to try and minimise the risk, while still trying to keep at least some semblance of a 'normal' life, to try and maintain their sanity, in what often seems to be an insane situation.
I don't believe any Government has 'got it right', but we will only know for sure in a year or two when maybe the full facts are known. It could even be decades before the full effects on those that have had the virus, are fully understood.
I can fully empathise with your description of you wearing your mask, I have a similar problem, but apart from my COPD, I believe in my case it stems partially from an episode I had about 12 months ago. I was in the house alone, having taken my wife to work, washing my hands in the bathroom when I suddenly started struggling to breathe. No warning, nothing I can remember doing to cause it, it just came out of the blue. I spent the next few minutes, on my knees gasping for air, with the thought that 'it's the end' going through my mind, and the thought of my wife finding me. The effect it would have on my family, and especially my young grandson. I remember repeating 'No, not like this' over and over in my mind. (It's surprising how your mind can process so much in such a short time, when it has to). My body just started to work again, and slowly I started to breathe again, and 10 minuets later I could stand. I went and had a full medical check up including scans, and was pronounced fit, with no reason given, except maybe a possible panic attack.
I now believe that my problem with the mask, is in part psychological, due to my experience back then, as much as it is physical. It helps me cope a bit better knowing that.

John.

John.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I agree each to his own........but are you willing to agree in public that the Royal Family are Lizards ?
I'm more worried about the inter dimensional shape shifting reptillians than a bit of rub on here. :)
Joking apart I don't profess to believe everything Icke says and the royal family thing is without doubt the most contraversial.
What he is suggesting is that the aristocracy come from a different gene pool and interbreed to keep the power in their famlies, families which can trace their line back through ancient rome and beyond. Using compartmentalised control systems they keep the masses fighting all the wars doing all the work and paying all the taxes, they are a small number of familes who are taking over the world by using shell companies ie the multi nationals to wipe out small business.
As with all theories not every detail will be correct, but Icke has much worth reading in his extensive research to illustrate his view.
Icke has a degree in journalism, was a professional footballer who went on to become a top sports presenter at the BBC and has since written eighteen books and done countless presentations all around the world to sell out audiences.
I cannot help but have a wry smile to myself when a man of such standing who has had the courage of his convictions to stand up for what he believes, even ridicule on national television gets slapped down and called a plonker by some joe soap on an internet forum.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Icke has a degree in journalism, was a professional footballer who went on to become a top sports presenter at the BBC and has since written eighteen books and done countless presentations all around the world to sell out audiences.
I cannot help but have a wry smile to myself when a man of such standing who has had the courage of his convictions to stand up for what he believes, even ridicule on national television gets slapped down and called a plonker by some joe soap on an internet forum

Note the blond haired lass telling the crowd when to cheer.

By the way joe soap has as much right to his opinion as anyone else.

This perhaps explains some peoples views on the virus.

Just goes to show no matter how many qualifications you have you can still talk bolloxx.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Does joe soap have a credible opinion?
or is he just a baiter from the sidelines who is master of nothing?