To feed or not to feed

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I fished a match a hawkhurst fish farm yesterday ( Sunday) and started off dobbing. I had a fish inside two minutes so went back out and had another, bites kept coming along with a few fish and at the all out I hadn't fed a thing in the swim at all. Fifty pound for second place and three slices of bread.
Looking back I'm wondering if I had fed my swim ,(I fished the same spot all day) would I have caught more or would it have had the adverse effect of making them uneasy and buggering off to someone else swim.
All around were feeding either loose pellet or g/bait and struggling to keep them coming with any regularity.
Have you caught well and not fed the swim ,or was I just a lucky sob on the day .
I remember an old hand winning a summer club match with a bag of crucians.
One on average every 4/5 minutes on single corn, top three down margin in a foot of water - didnt feed a grain!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I still have Nash F1 and a pot of solar 'Lee Jackson ' specials - should be in a museum!
Got a fridge full of pots potions pellets glugs oils and various fish attracting stuff... really should stop buying bait and just empty the fridge by using what I have

Arry

Site Supporter
😳 really need to have a clear out...!!!
20211116_095339.jpg

Arry

Site Supporter
Well considering I've had loads of carp on just prawns, I'd say no...🤣🤣🤣

Arry

Site Supporter
🤣 fair enough. There is so much choice I find easier to just not use any now!
Getting that way meself.. the freezer section is full of frozen boilies and prawns, meat, pastes, and the like....

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
😳 really need to have a clear out...!!!
20211116_095339.jpg
I am disappointed that all labels are not facing front 😄
Thats quite some collection, NRG and maple8 amoung the mainline stuff, used the last of my NRG in the summer and blanked, no suprise there then! 😂

Arry

Site Supporter
I am disappointed that all labels are not facing front 😄
Thats quite some collection, NRG and maple8 amoung the mainline stuff, used the last of my NRG in the summer and blanked, no suprise there then! 😂
I'm not that anal...🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Wow! Serious question - would you say that using any of those flavourings have improved your catch rate over not using them?
No they haven’t. He’s got them all in the fridge, and forgets to take them out🥰🤣

kenj

I always fish the punch and feed one small ball at this time of year to start with. I don't fish commercials and find that introducing the punch without feed, will not get a bite. Put in one small ball and the bites follow straight away. Also at this time of year, I start on a 5 mm punch. Yesterday on a local pond, first fish was a 4 lb common. Going up to a 7 mm punch brought dithering missed bites. Going back down to a 5 mm brought another carp, and a net of skimmers, with minimal feed.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I guess the only time I have used this method was on a match midwinter at Decoy and I ene=ded up catching on single maggot in the near margin where I had fed nothing. As I understand the method it is bnasically a no feed method. You are looking to find solitary fish and offer a sight bait at a convenient place/depth where it has to expend no energy sucking it in.

If I were feeding then I would expect to catch on the deck.

W

Whitty

Sometimes you can catch on the straight lead and sweetcorn,without loosefeeding,many matches have been won like this some with weights of over 100lbs...