To feed or not to feed

ATTICUS FINCH

I fished a match a hawkhurst fish farm yesterday ( Sunday) and started off dobbing. I had a fish inside two minutes so went back out and had another, bites kept coming along with a few fish and at the all out I hadn't fed a thing in the swim at all. Fifty pound for second place and three slices of bread.
Looking back I'm wondering if I had fed my swim ,(I fished the same spot all day) would I have caught more or would it have had the adverse effect of making them uneasy and buggering off to someone else swim.
All around were feeding either loose pellet or g/bait and struggling to keep them coming with any regularity.
Have you caught well and not fed the swim ,or was I just a lucky sob on the day .

bris

Site Supporter
Definitely the time of year to be frugal with the feed and sit and wait for the bites. Have won matches at this time of year by hardly feeding.
Can remember one using meat, and waiting 10 minutes for a bite but each bite was a good carp and think I used about a quarter of a tin of meat!
Another was on expander on a pond containing carp 12-20lb, again a few micros for feed and sitting and waiting for a lump a bite!

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
My experience is that it's always better to feed than not to feed. What to feed, how much, and how often, is another discussion.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Thanks Total that video was interesting ,i,ll be trying that next time out ,

keith

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I always thought dobbing was a mule 😳🤣🤣
No, it's Muffin the Mule

4PFI0Ek4bcEyTTe7mohLeWKHABOUw4n-JCJzAGmRcSZUMeji6a.jpg

PS. Don't worry, it's only classed as a sexual offence in Ireland. 🤣

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Carpers often fish "singles" just casting out a single bait on pressured waters where fish become wary and back off beds of feed...
Its an effective method... I suppose "dobbing" is just a variation on a theme

ATTICUS FINCH

It was the first time I had ever tried dobbing with any success,and it don't half cut your bait bill down .

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Some days on the carp lake you may use as many as 2 popups...😛🤣
And we all have multiple tubs of unused ones amoung the tubs of wafters and hard hookers in a cupboard somewhere as each tub contains around 50/60 of them!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
And we all have multiple tubs of unused ones amoung the tubs of wafters and hard hookers in a cupboard somewhere as each tub contains around 50/60 of them!
A lifetimes worth🤣🤣