To-day's puzzle.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I've been meaning to post/ask this for some time. Whilst doing a bit of Sole bashing at Langney Pojnt about thirty years ago I picked up a round polished stone that caught my eye. Upon examining it a little more I realised that it had been deliberately rounded/semi-polished and had a square hole cut into it. There is a little brown staining within the hole which looks a little like rust staining.
I've posted a couple of photygraphs that I took of it this morning. Does anyone have any idea what it may have been or used for?

Thursday 001.JPG Thursday 002.JPG

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Maybe part of some weights to hold down a stretch out net. Used for Herring, Mackerel or some other type of fish. The rust stain probably from a metal thingy that held it to the bottom of the net to stop it from drifting. There could have been a string of them spaced along the net. Just guessing, but that's what it looks like to me.

As an afterthought, have you tried sending the pics with a description to a maritime museum? Maybe they'll know exactly what it is and what it was used for.

Last edited:

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
l've seen something like this before. A metal spike was fitted inside the hole and the stone fastened to a wooden club. The stone was used to add a bit of weight to the blow, the spike to penetrate the victim. A bit like this 104b2a3840730df74f09f0059c19f4e8--auction.jpg

Total

Site Supporter
I used watch loads of Discovery History channels on my days off mate, it was that or 'Loose women'.......the tv programme not friday night in Cardiff city centre 😁
Did you use one of the above to fight off the "Loose Women" Mick?:unsure:

rudd

Site Supporter