To All Those That PM'd Me Regarding Barbel On...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky24

Rich
Where You Fished Today -

I thought I'd post this here as the people who PM'd me can see it.

Firstly I would just like to say to the people that commented that I should tell them the location. Surely you can respect a capture and admire a fish without knowing where the exact location is can't you? It doesn't mean you'll go there and catch it or any other Barbel. Like everything in life it takes hard work to reclaim your reward in the end.

I gave someone (via PM) a clue (the only way I'd divulge anything) as to where I caught the fish roughly. I will tell all those wanting to know where I was, what I told him it took me a long time to find this stretch and to share this information on an open forum is not a wise thing to do. If you would like to get a certain peg on a certain day and someone from the forums is fishing that very peg it could be very annoying.

If the fella who PM'd me finds the location from the clue I gave him then good luck to him as he would've had to have done his homework, much like I have done.

I am not going to make it easy for people am I?

I could potentially turn the place into a circus if I was to report everything, there's too many of these stretches on the tidal and I do not like them nor do I wish to be responsible for creating one.

I don't profess to be a fantastic Barbel Angler but I am getting better and learning more each time. Books and DVD's are also a great source of information.

I am also getting lots of PM's regarding the use of pop-ups and what I do with them, how I use them etc.
Well I don't wish to go into details about the exact rig because again I have used many when experimenting with pop-ups much of which didn't work. Let me say this, when on a river with a faster current, (usually near a weir) imagine how a bottom hook bait would react? It would dance on the bottom, go all over the place, is this natural? No not really. Generally you have Ground bait or smaller pellets in the feeder, I used scalded skrettings in 3.5mm and plugged this each side with combo pellets and halved Boilies (Basically different size of pellet with different breakdown rates) in the middle. Now when I cast out with this feeder the contents fly out downstream when it hits the bottom hitting boulders etc as it goes, some of course get lodged in rocks etc but most fly off. The Barbel will intercept it as it whizzes past their line of vision, eventually following the source upstream after a couple of minutes. This is when a Barbel will take something that is flying about off the bottom more readily than a bottom bait, Why? I believe to the fish it is natural in the way the Boilie sits up in the flow. This I believe is the way the fish intercept food generally in good flow.

A little tip is to put a shot (AA or SSG in seriously strong flows) about an inch from the hook. You could lengthen the shot to hook in slower swims.

On this particular day I had nothing on Boilie on the bottom but as soon as I changed to my pop-up rig it was like someone had turned on a tap. Pity this was the last 3 hours of my last session. I have used the rig in different ways before (with relative success) but this one was the clearest indication yet that the rig I used was the difference between Barbel and no Barbel. I finished with 2 Barbel to about 7-8lb respectively along with 4 Chub on this rig when I fished bite less for 4-5 hours.

Experiment guys, especially using Hi-Viz Boilies. I used Bio Crab pop-ups and The Source and both were equally as good. The Hi-viz White or Yellow are next on my list and I believe they will work even better. As even with the Barbel's eyesight (as bad as it is) they can't miss a White or Yellow Boilie.

I have watched all of the underwater Barbel DVD's many times and many more observing and accessing the Barbel's behaviour. Call me sad but I have nothing better to do and I am hoping to be a serious Barbel Angler in the future.

Thanks for all the praise guys it's much appreciated. Hopefully I will be doing more reports in the future.

I hope this helps all those that have PM'd. Tight lines.

Ricky

bluemack

Site Supporter
i did,nt pm you and i would,nt have anyway,but to be honest i dont think you could be any fairer or honest than you have.nice one.[:T]

Rich.T

Fairplay Ricky, very generous with your info there, nothing wrong with not giving the exact peg away.

Last edited:

dstev

Dave
I never expect anyone to give the exact peg out, but I don't think it's unreasonable to give the area / club waters. Great information about your tactics though.

matty67

hablando espanol
Originally posted by dstev

I never expect anyone to give the exact peg out, but I don't think it's unreasonable to give the area / club waters. Great information about your tactics though.

Why should someone else do all the hard work, then hand all the information over, its joke, grown men whinging over a few feet of river bank. Get out there and find the decent areas and pegs/stretches for yourself, walk the banks when your not fishing, and when you are be prepared to move about...

Rick24, tell em nowt fella.

cant win

ricky thanks for that bit of info,in all due respect i would not want to know were you caught the fish but it is a cracker,i also fish for barbel and like you say why should you put it on an open forum for lurkers.when catches like this are put on the net everyman and his dog will be on the stretch and you wont get on next time you go.so why would someone do something so foolish? the fish move yet again like barbel do after being caught or loads of activity.well done again .

dstev

Dave
I really don't care for fishing where he fished. End of conversation.

Originally posted by matty67

Originally posted by dstev

Why should someone else do all the hard work, then hand all the information over, its joke, grown men whinging over a few feet of river bank. Get out there and find the decent areas and pegs/stretches for yourself, walk the banks when your not fishing, and when you are be prepared to move about...

Rick24, tell em nowt fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.